Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me all you know about Zell am See

Poster: A snowHead
claireW,

Thanks for that. 18 degrees, bloody hell!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The zell web cam is now looking at the big birthday cake
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only just managed to get internet access again. We had snow on Tues and Thurs, so conditions were good.

My reports can be found here
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looks like the grass is green in Zell Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tell me all you know about Zell am See: It appears towards the rear of the Austrian Atlas index
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
johnboy, are you mOrfing, this will soon be known as the 'Z' thread Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow looks pretty good on the glacier
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, can anyone clarify what is the story with the lift pass for Zell and Saalbach, does the Zell pass cover Saalbach? and if not how much is a one day pass for saalbach.

I am going out in March 07 with my first time skiing wife, normally I go to the bigger resorts but given plumped for Zell this year as it is a big and pretty town for non skiing activities if she doesn't take to it.

I am hoping to take a one day trip to Saalbach as the two sided circuit sounds great.

Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
killian,

I was in Zell March 06. Did 4 days in Zell, 1 on the glacier and 1 in Saalbach.

Saalbach was not on my Zell lift pass, but you may be able to upgrade it. We got the public bus to Saalbach, but got off at Vordergleem (The first lift en route) and skied anti-clockwise. It can easily be done in a day. We did it in 5 hrs including lunch.

From memory lift pass was 27 euro for the day. Saalbach was excellent.

Should be loads of info and links from this thread.

Have fun
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I seem to remember (although I may be wrong) that you can buy a pass that covers Zell and Saalbach. You can certainly buy a Super Salzburger pass that covers 20 resorts including Zell and Saalbach...although if only going to Saalbach for one day, this may be more expensive.

I'll see if I can dig out some more info (I picked up loads of leaflets!!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
killian, We bought the pass that covers both Saalbach and Zel & Kaprun Lift pass:

Europa Sport Region (covers Abtenau, Kaprun, Leogang, Saalbach–Hinterglemm, Zell am See) adult €157–172, youth 125.50-137, and child 6–15yrs €78.50–88, all for 6 days. Free for 6yrs and under if accompanied by parent

We only skied in Saalbach for one day, so I am not sure if this was the most economicable way to do this. Whilst you can ski the Saalbach circuit easily in a day, it would be nice to spend a few more days there.

You'll both have a wonderful holiday, ZaS is a great resort Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks a million for all the info. Nice community here.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowing in Zell today!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hello
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
going to Zell on 2 September, I foresee first lifts up to the Kitzsteinhorn, skiing finished by late morning, lazy lunch Very Happy
snow conditions
AlpineWalker wrote:
going to Zell on 2 September, I foresee first lifts up to the Kitzsteinhorn, skiing finished by late morning, lazy lunch Very Happy

Let us knowwhat the skiing is like please AW
snow report
Renry,

Where you off to this year??
ski holidays
Nothing booked yet, going for a late late deal end of Jan early Feb.

We have also been invited back to Zell in May as some of the family would like to go back during the milder weather
for cycling and walking. I will obviously be at Kitzs' Razz

I was trying to get to Castleford for the meet but its fallen on an awkward day for me. Worst thing is we are over to Leeds on the Sunday but just cant make it on the Sat Crying or Very sad

Would have been nice to meet a few snowheads
latest report
Renry wrote:
Let us knowwhat the skiing is like please AW

will do Very Happy
snow report
I think someone wants to know stuff about Zell
snow report
Hi, Myself and a few guys are off to Zell next march 07, so where are the best bars please, must get the important info first !!!! Secondly I have read about a day skiing in saalbach is this reachable via public transport ? If so does anyone know where this can be caught from ? thanks very much or all help, regards Andrew
ski holidays
There's loads...Crazy Daisy, Greens, Karambar, Diele, Insider (in no particular order)! If you're out late you can head to Viva which never really seems to close (watch out for the go go girls).

You can get to Saalbach by public transport, take the bus from behind the post office. It takes about 45 minutes (much quicker by car). If you buy a Super Salzburg ski pass on the first day you arrive, you can use that in Saalbach. It's cheaper than buying a one day pass, as the difference between a week's local area pass and the wider area pass is only about 12 euros.
snow report
drewjo1, Crazy Daisy is great for early Apres, I never went there later at night to know if it was still as good then. If you like cheesy Euro pop, and singing and dancing in your ski boots, definitely give it a try. We went late in the season so the bars were starting to get quieter. Greens was very popular, serving great cocktails and there is a live music bar too. Very Happy

We skied Saalbach in one day, and it can be reached by Public transport or, if like ourselves you've booked with Thomsons or Crystal, you can join one of their ski tours and go by their coach. This option is a lot quicker as it doesn't make as many (if any) other pick ups en-route.

We loved Zell am See, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. snowHead
latest report
drewjo1,

Saalbach definately worth the trip. You don't have to get the bus the whole way to Saalbach. We got off after 20 minutes and joined the Ski Circuit, we then skied to Saalbach then Hintergleem and back on the other side of the valley. The bus service is very reliable.
snow report
There is a possibility that i will be going to Zell am See for one day next summer - does anyone know what the mountain biking is like?
ski holidays
The mountain biking in Zell itself is limited - there are no lifts you are allowed to put bikes on and no dedicated trails on the mountain in Zell itself. You want to go to Saalbach which is heaven for bikers - bikes allowed on most lifts and tons of dedicated trails including some fantastic single track and freeride courses. There's some nice biking in Kaprun as well but Saalbach really is where its all at for biking! You can get a bus from Zell to Saalbach and put your bike on it. It's about an hours ride there but uphill all the way, so save your legs and get the bus over there (easier ride back as it's all downhill!)
snow report
thanks nice, sounds good to me!
snow report
Can anybody tell me the name of the hotel directly next to the city express gondola?

Or for that matter recomend a hotel very close to said lift station.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hotel Alpin, or Sport Alpin is directly at the bottom of the lift on the slope. There's also a pension opposite the lift station, I think it's called Pension Hubertus. The Alpin hotel doesnt' have any contracts with British tour operators, so the guests are largely German and Dutch. I haven't stayed there, but have eaten there and the food is good!
ski holidays
Renry,

Off again this year??
snow report
Not sure yet. Would be more then happy if we end up going there again though.
ski holidays
It's in Austria Twisted Evil
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, . . . and what is wrong with Austria?
latest report
IncogSkiSno, Nothing really apart from the number of Austrians that always seem to be there rolling eyes
latest report
How does the skating work on Zell lake. Is there is managed area or do you just put on your skates and hope the ice is thick enough ? I am having visions of the Omen film.
latest report
How does the skating work on Zell lake. Is there is managed area or do you just put on your skates and hope the ice is thick enough ? I am having visions of the Omen film.
snow report
hi, would anyone know if the lake is likely to freeze over this early in the season? I'm guessing no, but snow forecast is predicting some very chilly temperatures over the next week....we're going on the 22nd - can't wait.
snow report
xjenkins, I'd be surprised if the ice was thick enough to walk on at this time of year.....but you never know!!
snow report
Last season, the lake in ZaS remained unfrozen almost all Winter. The resort is very low.

This year, it is colder and the lake is already iced up.

I recall the 'official' start to lake-walking is when the local Mayor ventures across it during a grand ceremony.

Not sure about skating in ZaS. Never tried skating because it's a bit rubbish.

If you really wanna walk or skate on a frozen lake, then you probably need to go higher. St Moritz, at 1800m, is the leading example. The lake is always thickly frozen in Jan and Feb.
snow report
johnboy, sounds like you were in Zell about the same time we were in Kaprun. I'd second the stuff about the buses - they run like clockwork! We also went to Saalbach/Hinterglemm for the day and it was excellent (apart from Black 14). I think we did 2 days in Zell, and the rest either on the glacier or Maiskogel.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy