Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soft ski bag - locking?

Poster: A snowHead
Good evening, everyone. This morning I bought a snazzy coloured tag so I can tell my soft bag from all the other identical ones at the airport. Then I searched for how to pack the thing and have got my Velcro, bubble wrap and pipe insulators all planned. Now I'm wondering whether I ought to try and padlock it somehow. But is there the remotest point, given it's easily cuttable? Does anyone else bother? If so, what do you padlock to what?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowmum123, Flight rules mean that you either have to use an approved lock or something easily cut . . . hence the massive rise in thefts at some airports. I bought a bag of coloured zip ties and carry some with me. I can always tell if the bag's been opened so I know when to go and complain if anything is missing or there's no inspection ticket . . . common with equipment bags. Most travel bags have zip tabs that overlap to provide a hole to thread it or a lock shank through.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't lock mine. If you do lock it, you can usually lock via the zip pulls.

Masque, think it's only for US travel that you need approved locks. When I opened my ski bag recently I found a card from the TSA inside indicating that they had seen fit to rummage through my skis last Easter.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I always use cable ties..
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque, Bob, Thank you, good idea. I hadn't thought of cable ties. My bag has just a single pull tag on its zip, so I'll have to make a little hole to thread the tie through, but that shouldn't be a problem. I think we've even got an eyelet kit somewhere ...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've used cable ties for years. Came in handy when Swiss customs wanted to search my ski bag packed with clothes etc wrapped around the skis. As no one had anything sharp to cut it they looked puzzled then just let me through. I keep a little pair of nail scissors with a bit of tube stuck over the point in my main bags side pocket to cut them once at the destination. Ties should stop accidental opening or opportunistic thieves.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mine has a loop on each zip which I lock together using a standard luggage combination lock. I do it to stop the zips coming apart or allowing someone to slip something into the bag rather than general security from theft.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All snugly packed up now and secured with nice red cable ties from Halfords. Here's hoping they arrive in a similar state ... Thank you, everyone, for your help. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Masque wrote:
snowmum123 I bought a bag of coloured zip ties and carry some with me. I can always tell if the bag's been opened so I know when to go and complain if anything is missing or there's no inspection ticket . . . common with equipment bags.

I like the sound of this and could be missing something but i cant see the advantage of coloured zip ties over a decent small combination lock? You can reuse the lock and don't have the issue of having to cut the ties off at the airport if asked to do so and if the lock is busted you know someone's been in there.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SiPieFace, unless you have a TSA/FAA approved lock it will be cut off for inspection and the keys for the approved ones are all over the place so any tealeaf in baggage can open your kit without you knowing when it happened. A cable tie is no more protection but you know when it's been tampered with and it will stop the casual light finger'd tw_t
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ahhh, nice. Now it makes sense. Nice tip.........Not been skiing or abroad for a while and didn't have to do any of that s__t when i last went. But do you definitely have to have an approved lock? Even on EU flights?

I'm intending to use a Dakine split roller bag/case and will cable tie it now. Was aiming to put my boots and helmet in there, do you think it'd be reasonably safe from the thieving scum as its not an obvious "kit" bag.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SiPieFace, I think it's just for international (I'm not in the EU) but the same rational applies.

Tealeaf is as tealeaf does . . . there's no way to know what or when they'll choose. Some people say the more cruddy the bag the less likely to be broken into and ski kit is usually too big to smuggle out of the baggage hall. But don't forget, all bags get scanned today. I never put any electronics in the hold and I've had tools nicked from board bags. Lost 3 leathermen that way Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As said... wrap some duct tape round the ski bag, make it look cruddy. Stuff like a Leatherman multitool, shove down the bottom of a ski boot and then jam a load of other crap on top. Make it awkward... why would a thief take the time to rob a pain in the arse bag when others look more tempting. I've never had anything robbed in something like 30 trips.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
I've used cable ties for years. Came in handy when Swiss customs wanted to search my ski bag packed with clothes etc wrapped around the skis. As no one had anything sharp to cut it they looked puzzled then just let me through. I keep a little pair of nail scissors with a bit of tube stuck over the point in my main bags side pocket to cut them once at the destination. Ties should stop accidental opening or opportunistic thieves.

The customs at grenoble were less keen when I pulled out a leatherman knife to cut the tie...nowadays I just don't bother
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TSA locks are just for flights taking off from the USA (domestic or international) as the TSA inspects bags between checkin and them going on the plane, even going into the USA you would be with your bag when it is inspected.
latest report
always carry cable ties, come in especially useful for the inevitable twin beds pushed together as a double. couple of cable ties around the castors and no more middle of the night slipping down the gap..... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
davkt wrote:
TSA locks are just for flights taking off from the USA (domestic or international) as the TSA inspects bags between checkin and them going on the plane, even going into the USA you would be with your bag when it is inspected.

Absolutely NOT! I have never been with any of my bags when they've been opened and inspected . . . all to bloody frequently Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
From the TSA website, they do the screening on bags being loaded onto planes in the USA so that is where a TSA approved lock helps:
"TSA screens every passenger's baggage before it is placed on an airplane . While our technology allows us to electronically screen bags, there are times when we need to physically inspect a piece of luggage. TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA."
ski holidays
davkt, the master keys are available everywhere, the lock is no more use than a pink ribbon and you don't know if the lock's been opened or not till you get to your destination and unpack. My bag's been filched from three times and each time I was able to make the claim at the right time and at the right place. Saved time and money.

Oh and I fly from feeder airports so my bag can be inspected two or three times on a trip and If I fly with Air Canada . . . the system just is horrible through Toronto with collect bag re-book bag Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow report
Yep, don't think any lock would stop the airport backroom tea leafs if they want what is in the bag so I just tend to use cable ties to stop the zips opening as stuff gets chucked around. No need to worry about loosinf padlock keys either.
snow report
I have used re-usable cable ties for some time now. Theory being that a padlock wouldn't stop someone who really wanted to open my bag, neither would a cable-tie - so re-usable cable ties negate the need to search for anything sharp to get them open.

They do mean someone can open your back without you knowing (no different to padlocks?), but with a cable-tie I feel (so just personal opinion!) that most horrible types would cut a cable tie before looking more closely.
ski holidays
I use a short lenght of thin cord and just tie a knot in it.
ski holidays
So what are the rules on European flights (UK to France/Switzerland)? Cable ties or just a good lock required?
ski holidays
SiPieFace, It'll be down to your preference, flip a coin etc. All I know is that a handful of cable ties have more oddball uses than a lock.
latest report
^^^^^ what he says, good for tether beds together, temporary binding/ski fix, tethering cameras to stuff or ensuring unwilling victims can't escape easily.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ansta1, Laughing I once asked a girl in English lit class in college to put her two index fingers together. I then slowly placed a cable tie over them and pulled it shut. She then got asked a question and had to try to open her text book to the correct page while I stifled giggles.
ski holidays
I'm a cable tie fan, though hadn't thought about tying the beds together: Good tip that I'll use next time snowHead . For luggage I use a simple combi lock on the main compartment and zip-tie any silly little pockets just to make my bag less attractive to the opportunist. Same with the ski tube, cable type TSA lock and tie strap
snow conditions
I tried to tie the beds together and all I got was "you'll be lucky"

think I'll put that on a 't'shirt Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cable ties every time, but do remember to put a small knife / scissors in an unlocked pocket... I did forget to do that on one trip and it was a proper PITA getting into the luggage!

Legal ribbon also works well, it's lovely and strong, so acts as a deterrent in same way cable ties do, and needs a decent blade to get it off again.

Mrs M.
latest report
Cable ties are pretty easy remove and replace without anyone knowing. But probably better than nothing.
snow report
Thank you, everyone who suggested cable ties. They did the trick. Seeing all the comments above, I'm now considering getting a bumper bundle in an unusual colour and using them on all our luggage from now on. It would save no end of hassle trying to locate the correct key for each bag from the assorted bundle accumulated over the years!
latest report
Use a TSA lock. If security wants to get in they can but the petty thief wont bother. If you bag has a lock on and someone else's hasnt they steal the persons without the lock. Thiefs by nature are quiet lazy.
snow report
Philib, but if you use a cable tie it will deter some, and as most thiefs are unlikely to have a cable tie you will not only know instantly if your bag has been opened by security or someone else, especially so if you use some coloured cable ties.
ski holidays
Cable ties are a simple plastic ratchet which can be easily open with a small screw driver or pin and resealed without evidence.
Most combination case locks are pretty easy to open, else I would never be able to get in mine as I can't remember the combination but they do take a fair bit longer than cable ties.

If I were on the take Id rather handle a cable tie. Those plastic tamper-proof seals are pretty good, but I don't know where you get them without buying a 1000
snow report
tiffin, there is a very simple way to make a standard cable tie almost tamper proof.
ski holidays
ansta1, ah yes, the superglue trick
snow report
either that or a quick blast with a cigarette lighter...
snow conditions
ansta1, Embarassed melted my zip with that one . . . one of those blowtorch type all weather survivalist lighters Embarassed superglue gel it is for me wink
ski holidays
ansta1, Yeah, but you didn't mention that earlier Smile

Just didn't want people relying on the ties as a way of knowing if something had been tampered with.
ski holidays
Masque, yeah was talking about your common or garden one not a bear grylls keep you alive in the middle of nowhere one.

tiffin, your right i didnt, but not for any reason other than i assumed, wrongly it seems, that folks knew that trick. sorry.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy