Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis of the season

Poster: A snowHead
As much as I like the Salomon Scream Hots and Xtra Hots, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Volkl 724 Pros: great float in powder despite it's weight, steams through chowder, pretty good edge grip on the hard stuff, and will even carve on piste if you can flex the beast.

So, what skis have you liked this season? PR's again, U?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One Chilli Salomons were fine for me. I did hope to try some Rossi B2s, but my friends got to the shop first and grabbed them all. None left for me Sad . They liked them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have some lovely girly, flowery Rossignol Saphir Fun, not everyones cup of tea, but they are perfect for me and have improved my skking loads, lets hope the new boots take me up to a new level.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Atomic SX9's - Not sure if I liked them at first, but after a few days on them they rocked - Very turny, and I've taken them pretty much everywhere now and they've been alround great. Only downer is the weight of the bindings that makes carrying them anywhere a chore.
Still like my 1080s too - not so much for out and out speed or on-rails carving (got the SX9's for that), but good fun ski for all sorts of snow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been out on my pockets rockets, and off pistes and on soft stuff they really impressed me. ON hardpack and icy stuff they were , well, less nice, persuading me to go back to my old thin skis (still carvers).

Managed to demo some of next season's skis: Rossignol Zenith 171 cm , Salomon Scream Hot Pilot (one chili) 165 cm (my choice - wanted to go shorter so chose 165 over 175) and 171c, 1080s. That was the order I tried them in and that was the order I enjoyed them most, although we're talking about an hour's skiing on each : mostly piste on the Rossis, a tad of off-piste on the screams and a nice tree run on the 1080s.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Um, I quite liked the Seth Pistols.
It is the most difficult ski I have ever been on when skiing on piste.
Difficult to get from one edge to the other.
Doesn't like really high speeds.
Can't hack it on ice.
Forget about them as a slalom ski.

...if only there were other conditions...

snowHead

in fact, I quite liked them so much I bought a pair.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My Fischer RX8s are the nicest skis I tried during a pair of marathon demo days early this season (I reviewed 16 skis over on EpicSki!). I have continued to enjoy them as the season has gone on. They carve well, ski the bumps reasonably, and are great in powder and crud. Highly recommended.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WFTH - I was suprised to see a lot of Seth Pistols in Engelberg of all places. With touring and tele set-ups as well! Is this an up and coming bums resort? Not saying that you are a bum of course.
SSH- Are the RX8's a skier-cross sort of ski like the Salomon Crossmax 10 and Atomic SX9? Last time I tried to carve a Crossmax 10 on hard pack, I ended up in a ditch.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kit Wong, I can well understand the touring bindings - taking them bc would be fun. Tele would be interesting!
(was going to post a gratuitous picture of mine, but can't remember where it is!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmmm, seth pistols eh? Are they the ones with a Union Jack on the base - almost worth getting just for that!! Cool
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stuarth, you mean like this...
http://www.theskishop.co.uk/Ski/Ski%20images/pistols.JPG
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yep!! Cool
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kit Wong wrote:
WFTH - I was suprised to see a lot of Seth Pistols in Engelberg of all places. With touring and tele set-ups as well! Is this an up and coming bums resort?

Not really up and coming; many would say that it has reached saturation point. Six or seven years ago there was only one: a Swiss guy. About 4 seasons ago there were a handful of Swedes (literally 6 or 7) who went home and told their friends. The following season there were 50 or 60. After that Scandinavian film crews (in particular the Free Radicals) started filming there and word was really out. Now I am told there are a load of Americans as well. It's not Chamonix but it is pretty full of bums.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, late, late, on this.... which Rossignol Saphir do you have? There's a one and two I believe. Mrs Ise needs a new pair of piste sks, general all carvers etc. The local supermarket's got an amzing deal on them this week.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The scores from the pistes of Davos last weekend are:
Stockli SL - Very Happy
Stockli GS - Very Happy
Atomic Beta Ride 9.22 (my own)- Sad

The Stocklis I demo'd were apparently exactly the same skis some of the Swiss ski team use. The SL was very easy to ski for short turns and the GS was plain scary. Although I found them softer than say a Volkl P60 or an Atomic GS 11(?), which I found suprising for full blown race skis, the edge grip, and stability at speed, was phenomenal. On similar edge angles the Beta-Rides would just dump me on my backside.

I was almost seduced into hiring a pair of Zai skis: handmade(as are the Stocklis), 3 different radii on the sidecut(?), slight reverse camber shape, 100/day to rent, and a whopping 3000CHF to buy. Anyone tried them?.... or even own a pair?
ski holidays
Kit Wong, the Fischers are carving machines. You seem to be an exceptionally good skiier, so perhaps you'd overpower them, but I was completely unable to do so (at 180 lbs, 6' I have just picked up a new pair of 165cm RX8s).

I also really like the Atomic Metron:b5 and picked up a pair in 162cm.

Now, I have to get out on them! Shock snowHead
snow report
dull boy me, back on my Rossi 9X (just the oversize). Luv them to bits. Luvved my last pair so much I broke them.

Better grip than Atomics, as fast edge to edge (nearly) as slalom skis, short and agile in bumps, wide enough in powder, grip everything like h*ll and just a whole ball of fun.

Not that I'm biased of course...

I do really, really want to try the B5s though!
ski holidays
Best skis of the year - the ones that are on my feet at the top of a powder run !
snow conditions
Kit Wong,

Yes it is..!!
latest report
David Murdoch, Rossis hold better than Atomics?!?! Really?
ski holidays
ssh, Hi Steve, a slightly dated opinion, but IMHO strongly yes. Back to backed Rossi 9X vs the then current Atomic GS (not the de-tuned version) on hardpack at Windham, NY in January 02. Was delighted that I found the 9Xs slicker and rode a stronger edge than the Atomic. As I'd just bought a pair in Europe.

That pair demised when I mistook a snow bump for a rock and broke em. But am equally happy with their successors.

In fairness though, I'm small and light, and have felt that Atomics were built for a rather more aggressive and substantial skier than me. And I'm lazy - so find the Rossi has a sweet spot slightly closer to the tail and one that requires less work; lock in the edge and let the ski do all the hard stuff.

I'm not convinced that my opinion is generally accepted, but I know what I like.

Having rambled on, I would only add 2 things. I tested a whole bunch of skis that day & the Atomics were definitely my 2nd choice. And that I spent most of season 89 skiing an old pair of Atomic Red Sleds that had 40% base missing and the edges nailed back in. You could feel the nails.

But in the right conditions they STILL ROCKED.

DM
snow report
David Murdoch, totally get your perspective. I have found that the Atomics I've been on (wide range the last few years) all invariably prefer to carve rather than skid. I have found that skiers who do not use a newer technique with them tend to really dislike them as a result (note: I'm not putting you in this category, to make that clear!). Rossis have seemed more forgiving, I would agree, but I didn't think that they held better. However, it has been a few years since I've been on them, too. Friends that got on the Oversize this year loved them.
snow report
ssh, not feeling categorised in the slightest although I will confess it has taken me some time to transition my technique Happy

I would now love to back to back this years WC 9X and GS:11s. I wonder whether the evolution in the last couple of years would make a difference. I clearly recollect preferring my skis to the Atomics - and grip is one of my main criteria. But I can't clearly recall all the fine details of my impression. I do recall trying the Atos first and thinking "oh no, I've bought the wrong skis" before I got back on Rossis and was relieved. So it was a really close run thing. If I'm lucky enough to try them this year in similar states of tune, I'll try and more precisely define my preference and see whether I am still a little controversial!
snow conditions
Sorry for a minor hijack from the Rossi / Atomic debate, but have any of you skied the Volkl 724 Pro's? (with black/white/red graphics if the new ones are the same as last season). Are they as ripping as they are cracked up to be? Really really wanted to try and maybe buy them in Val T last year, went round all the ski shops but I couldn't even get a test pair at the right length, they were that popular....
snow report
David Murdoch, try the beta 5 skis, too (both the SX and the Metron). They are really amazing skis.
snow conditions
johnnyrotten, I skied them at a demo day last year. Lots of people praised them last year, but I wasn't one of them. Here's what I wrote on EpicSki last year:

Quote:
While I have heard rave reviews from others on this ski, it was not as much fun for me as I had anticipated. It did not hold a nice carving edge at speed, vibrating quite a bit at the tip in the snow piles built up on the trail. Others love this ski, and I have had a Volkl rep (our own IG) suggest that it's likely a tuning issue on this particular ski. Probably is, but that was my experience.
snow conditions
Woohoo!
I've ordered my new skis. (even though it looks like I'm only going to get a week's worth in this year)
Head iXRC 1100 SW 170 with Tyrolia FF14 bindings.

Happy Christmas to me! snowHead
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, and I'll get to see you ski them!!!!!! snowHead

Ya'll join us at ESA and watch the Fox rip on his new boards! Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh wrote:
johnnyrotten, I skied them at a demo day last year. Lots of people praised them last year, but I wasn't one of them. Here's what I wrote on EpicSki last year:[

Thanks for that link to your reviews ssh, some useful reading there. I've had some so-so experiences when I tried highly anticipated skis that everyone else raved about. Still wanting to try those Volkl 724 Pros for myself though! Smile
snow conditions
johnnyrotten,
I'll be on them if I can find them for hire...!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy