Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Busted!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A quick google found this interesting description http://www.mountain-pass-systems.com/ski_lift_access of a RFID based tiecket system from the technology supplier, only read it quickly but I think this is the system used as Vail. Mentions a pending patent on it's biometrics feature where by the first time a ticket is used each day a biometric scan is done ( I assume from CCTV images) and then used for comparisons on subsequent ticket uses. Quite how biometrics work with most skiers wearing helmets and googles beats me, could actually be matching the helmet and googles to flag up suspected different skiers, though I guess other metrics like skier height could be estimated or even what skis they are carrying.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jafa wrote:

Alex, Im sorry to keep contradicting you, but the ones mentioned open automatically when the chair passes a particular point and all 4/6/8 gates open. There is definetly no scanning involved. They open even when there is no one going through them

OK.

I didn't realise that was what you meant when you talked of gates opening automatically - I thought you were talking about the ones which opened as the pass is scanned.

Quote:

The ones at Jufen and Ochsalm etc you have it scanned in some cases 10 metres before the lifties.
If you log onto a ski tracking site-cant remember what it is now- the ones mentioned previously do not log as going through. Hence my reasoning about not being scanned.

Yes, I knew there were some which didn't show up - but thought it was only a few.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just thinking over this whole 'bio-metric' checking thing - It set me wondering is that why sometimes your pass just doesn't want to let you through a gate? So maybe an auto system is failing me on a bio-metric comparison with the stored pic on my season pass, then the liftie in his/her booth takes a gander and checks it's all good, clears the pass and through I go (thinking - why was that so awkward, the pass is where I always wear it, etc).

Or maybe I'm just getting paranoid about big brother watching with all this talk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
midgetbiker, just because you think they're watching, etc. snowHead i'm not aware of any installef biometric monitoring but my phone definitely interferes with my RFID pass...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dode wrote:
We went to the Sella Ronda for the first time earlier this year and we bought ( through the t/o) the 6 day full area pass. These were gender specific with either a M or F after the ticket number. This is the first time I have experienced this, maybe the ticket flashes the gender up on the lifties screen so he can check the user is the correct sex for the ticket? I don't know?

Continuing from this, the Dolomiti tickets also state that they are only valid for the named person on the ticket, and if you don't put your name on, they are not valid at all Shocked Depending on who you buy them from, some get printed with your name (or a variation of it as understood by the cashier...) or there is a space to write it on yourself. If buying a load for a group, you have to make sure you give out the relevant M and F ones to the right gendered people beforehand.

Variations on this info, in at least 4 languages, are presented on the tickers and screens at the main valley lift stations.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

It set me wondering is that why sometimes your pass just doesn't want to let you through a gate?

The electronics are pretty sophisticated - and have improved hugely in recent years. It's only a heartbeat since there could have been no question of a gate reading a pass inside your pocket - you'd have needed much clunkier hardware. I noticed this last year that there were far fewer "no go" incidents, the systems are improving all the time. I don't think you should assume there is a sinister reason for a malfunction.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was having problems with my season pass on the first week away this year. Then I realised I'd also got a pass from last year in my pocket Embarassed

As well as flashing a light on the gate my pass bought up a huge picture of me in the liftie's hut. Until I became known they checked it out regularly.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarlet wrote:
dode wrote:
We went to the Sella Ronda for the first time earlier this year and we bought ( through the t/o) the 6 day full area pass. These were gender specific with either a M or F after the ticket number. This is the first time I have experienced this, maybe the ticket flashes the gender up on the lifties screen so he can check the user is the correct sex for the ticket? I don't know?

Continuing from this, the Dolomiti tickets also state that they are only valid for the named person on the ticket, and if you don't put your name on, they are not valid at all Shocked Depending on who you buy them from, some get printed with your name (or a variation of it as understood by the cashier...) or there is a space to write it on yourself. If buying a load for a group, you have to make sure you give out the relevant M and F ones to the right gendered people beforehand.

Variations on this info, in at least 4 languages, are presented on the tickers and screens at the main valley lift stations.

We're all screwed then as I'm sure on s9bb I was skiing around with a pass with Bertie bassett on it, not my real name
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We bought our own Dolomiti passes in Alleghe, no-one asked my hubby who they were for when he bought two.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, Hells Bells, I've never had my pass manually checked, but I assumed that the lifties might check M/F at the turnstiles from time to time. They clearly stat M or F on the pass at the bottom, and it says "not transferable..." etc. on both side in 3 languages, just to make sure you've got it Cool

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, but I just had a quick check on the website and it seems they are now selling TRANSFERABLE passes for parents of very small children:
Quote:
The transferrable multi day ski pass (+ 20% on price list) enables alternate supervision; only for parents with a child up to 3 years (born after 30.11.2010 - excluding seasonal pass and 12-day pass in season. Proof of family status is required.

So maybe that will be useful to someone.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy