Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's the cheapest way to ski chamonix?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I managed a budget ski trip to the three valleys staying down the valley at Brides Les Bains which was mega cheap. I was wondering if there's an equivalent bargain resort near chamonix that's still linked by gondola / free bus to the main ski area? Low altitude would be good as well as I seem to sleep so much better!

Aiming for £600 per person all in including travel!

Thanks,

mnbv
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which main ski area? Chamonix is more of a valley with four or so major uplifts which are spread out anyway.

The benefit to you is that most of the villages along the valley floor benefit from a free bus service; so take your pick.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One good way to ski Chamonix cheap is with UCPA. There are also some good dorms, I understand from my niece who spent a week in a dorm living on baguettes and had a blast.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are certainly towns down the valley from Chx: Sallanche etc. A number of them are on the rail line that stops at various Chx destinations (one near the Flegere lift, one near the Midi, centre of Chx, Vallorcine etc).

I have no idea if what accommodation costs would be (nor availability) but I suspect it must be cheaper (buying property certainly is).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
midgetbiker, while Sallanches is on the rail line, I think you have to change at St Gervais and the connections are sometimes crap.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I can't imagine that anywhere in Sallanches is going to be cheaper than UCPA or a hostel. And getting to the slopes wouldn't be the work of a moment (though it's a good base for someone with a car to visit other areas too - including the Grand Massif, Combloux, Megeve and Praz sur Arly).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
£600 will be a challenge.
Lift £200
Travel. £150
Hostal. £100
Food £100
Hire. £100
Beer. ?

http://www.chamonet.com/accommodation/hostels/chalet-ski-station.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went in January this year and used the pay daily option for the lift pass which worked out cheaper as there were discounts 3 days a week and then we got our 7th day skiing free. We also got an apartment through airbnb which was reasonable, think it was still £300 pp for 10 days though although there were some cheaper ones. To be honest even with a youth hostel you would still be pushing it to get it all in for £600, UCPA is probably your best bet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With a bit of care you could do food for a little less than £100. £10 a day would enable you to eat reasonably if you DIY. Eggs, banana and porridge for breakfast, cheese sandwiches and an apple for lunch, pork chop or similar and veg for dinner. If you drank wine or beer from the supermarket you could even manage a couple of drinks within that budget. But you'd eat a lot more enjoyably at UCPA!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
how many people? What time of year? - Makes difference on the travel options

As others have said UCPA, or ask and book ahead through www.Chamsocial.com - Les Houches and Le Tour can be much cheaper and are still on the main transport system - only do Servos and Vallorcine if you have wheels.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, fair enough. I don't ride the line myself down to the valley, just back with the bike, when I'm feeling lazy (most of the time). So is it Servoz I'm thinking of then?

tbh i don't think food or drink will be much cheaper in the valley and as accommodation is only a small part of the budget I think the benefits are marginal.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
midgetbiker, I think you're thinking of Servoz. Sallanches is the town at the very bottom of the valley i.e. on the flood plain, after Passy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Up your budget to £800 all-in and book UCPA + coach travel via Action Outdoors

You will have a fantastic week with good food, decent accommodation and with a nice crowd.

If you are aged under 40 that is.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cham Sud is cheap if you're OK with puke, dog sh!te and johnnies. wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mollerski, sounds like a good nightlife too Cool
latest report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Mollerski, sounds like a good nightlife too Cool

Not sure where the dog sh!te fits? Confused
snow conditions
try chalets direct solutions room and you'll likely get a bargain.

For hostels see Vagabond from € vv cheap pppn in a dorm to € quite cheap hb I have not stayed here but many others have

the quirky la Boerne up in Trelechamps it is v cheap v quirky and super nice if you like small, good quirky cheap things (like what I do).

and the ultra bargain UCPA.

The dive previously known as the Belvedere has I think closed. It was so cheap I was able to stay there when I was a student in 1987 (I had very slightly less than no money at all and was v stinky).
latest report
I think you can probably manage it by getting 4 of you in a car or preferably a transit type van, driving down and sleeping in the van. The lift pass alone will probably cost 2-300 pound, if you don't have your own gear, ski hire will be close to 100, travel close to 100 each if there are 4 of you. Of course there will be insurance on top of that. Oh and some food, would be nice.
snow conditions
Easy:
Eurolines coach £100 return
Ski pass: £210 for 7 days
Accomodation: £100 - €16/night at the volant, or maybe £400 for the week for a cheap studio and cram 8 people in to get it down to £50.
Ski and boot hire via skimium £60/€70
Food: £40 - Big bag of pasta from tesco + some beanfests, baguettes and cheese.
My commission: £90
£600 all in.
snow report
mnbv,

If i recall correctly, the cheapest price with UCPA/Action-Outdoors for a week in Chamonix in 2014 was about £550. This includes full board (breakfast & evening meals + help yourself packed lunch), all equipment, and the valley lift pass (including Aig.du Midi). You need to make your own way there. Prices for 2014/15 will be published in August.

If you want instruction on piste this goes up to about £600, off piste about £650. I researched all this at length last year & it is the cheapest approach that does not involve contracting typhoid, cholera, rickets or scurvy.

UCPA is a fantastic place. I doubt that you are 40+. If you are don't worry. David at Action Outdoors sorted it for me & I am MUCH older. It is at the discretion of the individual Centre Managers.

ed123,
I stayed 2 nights in the Belvedere in Argentiere pre UCPA in late March 2014. It is under enthusiastic new ownership. Though still basic, it is on the up.
latest report
mnbv, and if you want £10pp off the UCPA price, use the discount code SP2010. The in-house bar is usually good value too and there may be some very good bargain weeks during the quieter weeks of the season. Keep an eye on the website.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy