Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cortina - 'weekendable?'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our crowd have never skied the Dolomites and a couple have a hankering to ski Cortina next Jan. With the budget airlines do Venice and Trieste make this doable for a long weekend? If so, any tips ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, for a long weekend - hire a car. No longer than doing the Tarentaise from Geneva, though a lot longer than doing Chamonix from Geneva. Staying in Cortina would be good if you prioritise the experience of the place over maximum skiing time, maybe. Being in town for the "passegiata" apres ski hour (people watching, more mink coats than you can shake a stick at, window shopping for impossibly expensive art works and clothes etc) is rather good if you like that sort of thing and aren't hankering after traditional boozy "apray". It's quite a sizeable town and you need to think about time from your hotel to the slopes - it's not ski in/out.

Some of the folks who couldn't make it to Arabba for the Birthday Bash (because all the roads were closed by Too Much Snow) spent a few days in Cortina and might come up with some hotel suggestions. When we went there (not primarily a ski holiday, though I did a few hours) we were staying in a tiny place down the road because hotels in Cortina were full.

If you have a hired car it might be possible to drive somewhere different to ski on one of the days - but couldn't advise on that.

Some Italian ski resorts are very crowded at weekends but maybe Cortina not so much as it isn't too near one of the big cities. Be worth getting advice on that - we expect quiet slopes in French resorts on Saturdays but it isn't the same all over.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BA do Venice and include 23kg baggage allowance which can be skis. If you book now may be cheaper than budget airlines.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

BA do Venice and include 23kg baggage allowance

not from Gatwick - checked baggage is an additional cost.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
steviet865, having gone en famille to Cortina over New Year, I would just say (in case you're thinking of it) do not go at New Year.

It's major wealthy Italian second home owner territory and it will be rammed.

The various areas are all separated and you will need a car to scoot around town, and it took up up to 45 minutes to get from our hotel in the centre to some of the outlying pistes (maybe 3km). We also had a nightmare 1.5 hour wait in a gondola queue.

But otherwise, yes, perfectly doable. The skiing isn't very challenging, but the views are stunning and if you/your other half likes shopping...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Venice to Cortina is a little over 2 hours on the bus. Arabba & San Cassiano are only another 40 minutes up the road so I would have though the Dolomites proper would also be easily accessible for a long weekend with your own transport.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

if you/your other half likes shopping...

and money is no object. I saw the ultimate in understated style in a shop in Cortina - a raincoat/trenchcoat effort with mink lining.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just checked - BA flights to Venice from Gatwick are £104 return and include 23 kg baggage allowance + generous cabin allowance. Great way of "doing" Venice on a sunny winter day is to take a bus to to the railway station, hire a water taxi to St Marks Square and back with a 10 minute wander round St Marks. Allow 3 hours. Cost about £100 for four people. Make sure your camera has plenty of memory.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

BA flights to Venice from Gatwick are £104 return

Depends when you fly. And the cheapest prices (£80 return for a long weekend in January) are hand baggage only. I think all the BA flights from Gatwick are now extra for checked baggage - though they can still be very good value. I used to fly Gatwick - Genoa return for £80 including 23 kg of checked baggage, but those prices have increased. Still can do £58 return with hand baggage only if you book far enough in advance and avoid peak holiday periods but baggage is extra. But you can get a "free" in-flight gin and tonic!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

not from Gatwick - checked baggage is an additional cost.

At like, a £10 extra or something.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, cheaper than easyJet - €30 return on the flights I'm looking at in August. Ryannair is a lot cheaper from Genoa but it's Stansted, which is a pain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy