Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which tribe are you? Glossy? Techie?

Poster: A snowHead
dulcamara, ...exactly...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't think there's a category for me - I think "Asshat"would work.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it might be a bit of fun if it were remotely funny. Or clever.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Odd combination: Mrs Ed and I both have far too much Patagonia stuff. My current jacket is the free replacement for the one which used to be held together with duct tape. My backpack is sun bleached and our kids have a good smattering of (outlet and ebay) Patagonia gear between them. The 5 year olds jacket is seam sealed with duct tape and the 12 year old telemarks but the 9 year old has a full set of Dare 2B . We ski as much as we can (bout 3 weeks a year) I think we are Techie, pistie, gnarly wannabes. definitely no Bogner or Spyder ewwwww. Vomi frequently features on our holidays but it is a bit of a lottery as to who will go first (hence the game "Vom-stakes" a bit like a sweepstake on the Grand National but with vomiting).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ed123, you are definitely in a tribe of your own. An excellent one. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I did use the Rabbit's gaffer tape one Birthday Bash, does that make me Gnarly? snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NeddySkiGoon, Only if you were making a DIY condom . . .
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I did use the Rabbit's gaffer tape one Birthday Bash, does that make me Gnarly?

No, 'fraid not. It just makes you an Old Gaffer. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That is probably one of the most irritating websites I've ever looked at. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

That is probably one of the most irritating websites I've ever looked at.

not true, check out this gem I found !!!

http://dinnerwiththeomnivore.wordpress.com/

wink NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lord im half Tech half Gloss! Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
pam w, ....broadly true...I spend day in day out on serious academic research (except when I'm on the hill) where I am trying to chase elusive truths in areas where getting it right matters quite a bit ... But,,rightly or wrongly, I relax those standards a bit when it gets to general comment about skiing.

Avalanche stuff, ski prep stuff and some other tech stuff is different and I feel demands the same standards of evidence I use in my normal work.

So you're right, style alt articles not all well grounded in profound evidence

I think represents many of us without spending day in and day out in serious research. We expect folks like you to do your work seriously, and journalists report with same seriousness.

But when the latter fail routinely, and substitute with fluffy "fun" stuff with increasing frequency, it cease to be "fun" any more. Just plain silly.

Looking at it as a single piece, it can pass as harmless fun. But given so many intentional bias reports and lazzy shoddy "research" proliferating on the internet, it's understandable the "humor" is lose on many.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really don't like the website, but that 'what tripe are you' was a little funny. Guess I'm halfway between STEEZIES (for the block colours and bright hues) and TECHIES (for the actual snowboarding - but I'm not middle aged).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well, if we don't like the chosen words and definitions, why don't we make some up of our own?
latest report
Megamum, Masque's effort was pretty good.
ski holidays
pam w, Ah, yes! I missed that. As I said I'm sure I don't fit any of those categories, but I don't think I fall into masque's new category either.
latest report
Megamum, but do you want to fit into a "category"?
Quote:

'what tripe are you'

yes, tripe indeed. Laughing
snow conditions
pam w, good point, the answer to which I think is covered by my signature. I reckon I'm unique!
ski holidays
abc, pam w, Agreed that this Style Altitude website is not the greatest contribution to human knowledge – but I thought the ‘tribes’ notion was reasonable, even if the specific descriptions are not.

But actually, few websites and magazines ARE a genuine contribution to human knowledge. Skiing journalism tends to be of a very poor quality – see my thread on ‘just who reads the mags’ of last year. I won’t rehearse what I said there, but I will say that there’s scant insight into equipment, maintenance, mountaincraft etc out there. In the escalation of human knowledge of which pundits so often talk, there are few beacons of well-evidenced, thoroughly-researched guidance and discussion (which doesn't need to be dry as dust, it can be written with sardonic wit too). Style Altitude is not one of them, but then neither are most of the British magazines or related websites.

Equipment reviews tend to be a genuflection to the manufacturers; ‘technical’ articles on ski structure, servicing etc are hopelessly superficial; and most trip accounts too truncated (editors should be far more bold regarding length) and anodyne. It’s not good.

The ‘tribes’ stuff is just a bit of fluff, and in posting it I merely attempted to raise a few smiles – wry and other. Do I regret posting it now …. er kind of … but some of the responses are fun and it keeps the SH site active at a time of year when winding down can be an issue....

What SH can occasionally supply, outside light-hearted threads, is genuine insight into avalanche safety, equipment, technique and medical matters. It can offer quick advice on flying places, on the things which specific places offer etc – all good stuff.

I’d like a stories section.
ski holidays
SNOWHEADS:

WHO: Middle aged, middle income millennials who occasionally display more sense than money, think weed is cool but are too frightened of getting caught so stick to 'roll-ups and Chardonay

WHAT: Anything from TKMax as long as it matches/co-ordinates with boots, skis, thong etc.

WITH: Undersized Merino Smartwool everything . . . and a glass of something alcoholic always to hand.

HOW TO WEAR: Usually with a safety pin to avoid the 'pop' when bending to adjust their boots and forever discreetly pulling the butt-sean from their crack . . . anonymity is guaranteed with a helmet glued on till end of day . . . zips, flies, buttons always closed . . . the sartorial equivalent of OCD.

BRANDS: rarely noticeable and never co-ordinated
LEAST LIKELY TO SAY:
"You're all a bunch of аrѕеs"
MOST LIKELY TO SAY:
"You're all a bunch of аrѕеs"
snow report
Ive decided i'm in a group of my own (or perhaps there are lots of me out there)!

I would be half Techie and half all the gear and no idea!! I tend to break rule 4 and 22 - Ruroc helmet, Spyder Jacket and Westbeach pants, Head Titan Skis, all colour co-ordinated. Very OCD I know (Skis were chosen because they are awesome, not because of colour)

I do however adhere to rules 1, 3, 5, 7(its all about the FUN) 8 and most other rules

Im probably the worst kind and will get growled at by most snowHead and abused in the lift queue, but then do I care - NOPE! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:

discreetly pulling the butt-sean from their crack

Sean is going nowhere near my crack, thanks very much.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

discreetly pulling the butt-sean from their crack

Sean is going nowhere near my crack, thanks very much.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Bin Dun, and several times before...

Of course, by snowboarders who have a sense of humour about such things...
Courtesy of Whitelines
snow report
Thats practically racist - Im a skier and have a sense of humour Toofy Grin
ski holidays
PaulC1984, nah, it's probably just vestigial for your life before skis. Go on over to the BZK area and immerse yourself in an inner tip lead thread technique throw-down and the last vestigages of humour and fun will soon melt away. You'll be much happier that way...
And by happier, I mean happier in a teutonic, joyless way.
latest report
Madeye-Smiley Ive given up worrying about technique - former life as one of those horrible ski racers has led me to rebel and not give a t*ss Happy - This is probably where all my kit confussion and poor style comes from, perhaps I should go and get help for my deep routed issues Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
True racers, in my experience, never give a crap about their kit - the less they care the better because then they are more willing to rag the back bottom out of it. Those with shedloads of technical expertise are too busy still worrying about niggles and protecting the kit to just absolutely batter it.
The only thing a racer needs to think about is "GO FASTER" and "FINISH" - everything else should be removed.
latest report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
True racers, in my experience, never give a crap about their kit - the less they care the better because then they are more willing to rag the back bottom out of it. Those with shedloads of technical expertise are too busy still worrying about niggles and protecting the kit to just absolutely batter it.
The only thing a racer needs to think about is "GO FASTER" and "FINISH" - everything else should be removed.

So true Toofy Grin
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'll settle for Old Gaffer. snowHead
latest report
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'll settle for Old Gaffer. snowHead

Gaffer tape was invented for skiers Happy - well and for keeping the wife quiet Toofy Grin

(No shes not on this forum and yes she would beat me to within and inch of my life whilst seeing the funny side)
latest report
I still use gaffer tape, but for clothing the sailors friend, spinnaker tape, is even better, and it comes in a range of colours.
snow report
Quote:

I used to own a Bogner onesie!

Buggger Bogner.
snow report
valais2 wrote:
abc, pam w, Agreed that this Style Altitude website is not the greatest contribution to human knowledge – but I thought the ‘tribes’ notion was reasonable, even if the specific descriptions are not.

But actually, few websites and magazines ARE a genuine contribution to human knowledge. Skiing journalism tends to be of a very poor quality – see my thread on ‘just who reads the mags’ of last year. I won’t rehearse what I said there, but I will say that there’s scant insight into equipment, maintenance, mountaincraft etc out there. In the escalation of human knowledge of which pundits so often talk, there are few beacons of well-evidenced, thoroughly-researched guidance and discussion (which doesn't need to be dry as dust, it can be written with sardonic wit too). Style Altitude is not one of them, but then neither are most of the British magazines or related websites.

valais2, I wasn't looking for any additional "contribution" to human knowledge from magazine/websites, just the dissimilation of these knowledge. Particularly the knowledge that I have yet been exposed to. That's not too much to expect, is that? If it's also entertaining, that would be better though not required.

But I see it is too much to expect:
Quote:

Equipment reviews tend to be a genuflection to the manufacturers; ‘technical’ articles on ski structure, servicing etc are hopelessly superficial; and most trip accounts too truncated (editors should be far more bold regarding length) and anodyne. It’s not good

Too many magazine/website had reduced to purely entertainment disquise as information/knowledge dissimilation. That's why some of us no longer enjoy the entertainment.

A bit of fluff on top of a cake is nice. But if there's no cake underneath, most of us would find the fluff annoying.
latest report
I quite liked the article/post, actually.
snow report
I'll put myself in the Wopgaps tribe:

Who: Well Off Pretty Good Actually Peoples
They may not be hucking themselves off cliffs and and skiing every minute of the day is no longer the priority it was now they have kids but actually they're pretty good skiers managing upto 4 weeks a year. The kids are all irritatingly good too.

What:
Well off enough to wear pretty much what they want, they can generally be seen sporting the higher end quality brands: Kjus, Arteryx (which they can't even be bothered to look up the spelling of) Noronno (same on the spelling) etc. and of course the perennial favourite Spyder. The German and Austrian branches of the family are pretty much born wearing Spyder.

How to wear:
Like they bought it because it fits them.

Where:
Any and everywhere, often in groups with similat Wopgaps.

tbc
snow report
Nickski wrote:
I'll put myself in the Wopgaps tribe:

Who: Well Off Pretty Good Actually Peoples
They may not be hucking themselves off cliffs and and skiing every minute of the day is no longer the priority it was now they have kids but actually they're pretty good skiers managing upto 4 weeks a year. The kids are all irritatingly good too.

What:
Well off enough to wear pretty much what they want, they can generally be seen sporting the higher end quality brands: Kjus, Arteryx (which they can't even be bothered to look up the spelling of) Noronno (same on the spelling) etc. and of course the perennial favourite Spyder. The German and Austrian branches of the family are pretty much born wearing Spyder.

How to wear:
Like they bought it because it fits them.

Where:
Any and everywhere, often in groups with similat Wopgaps.

tbc

Toofy Grin +1 (well little one cant ski properly yet, as hes not 2 and on strap on skis, but im sure he will be awesome!)
latest report
All these extra groups....pisties in denial Toofy Grin
snow report
Think I belong to "TIGHTIES"
Ski because they love it rather than because they can afford it
Wouldn't be seen dead in this years style or big label (unless it was slight seconds or two year old stock at 90% off)
Often ski alone because their mates at home are on the dole
Base layers come from Primark (via Oxfam)
Proud to be seen in 20 year old boots that the guy in the ski shop wants for the museum
Only owns one pair of skis that get replaced when they fall apart rather than fall out of fashion (same for all other gear but chances are, that was never in fashion)
Uses that one pair of skis equally at ease in 1m of powder as well as icy piste
The quality of fellow skiers is more important than the quality of the accommodation
Lunch is always 3 courses, 1st, what is left of the sandwich that has bounced around in the pocket all morning, 2nd the bits of cheese that have fallen out of the sandwich, 3rd the crumbs left in the bag.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy