Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alternative Accomodation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I have a question that I hope you can help me with. I am thinking of using a motorhome to go skiing in next season. I came across this link http://www.thepaddockpod.com/the-accommodation.html and wanted some input from regular skiers who have been in one/ used one for a week or more. What's it like to ski for a week from a motorhome? Is it painfully quiet, cold and awkward to get ready everyday? How do you get kit dry? Lastly, if I booked this do you think anyone would be willing to chip in, say 20 euros a night to stay in it? Rather different approach to cheap accomodation.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That looks like it might be fine in the summer, when you might hope to be able to sit outside in the evenings, but it's not most people's idea of a motorhome - there's no cooking facilities, or shower, or anywhere to just sit around.

You're right to be concerned about drying - in cold or wet weather, I would think that would get very damp with ten inside even with heating running.

I think that, unless you already own a motorhome (or intend buying one), it is probably not practical, or cost effective, to take one to the Alps for a ski trip. We had (free access to) a 21ft MH for a few years and, while we used it for days and weekends up here, we preferred an apartment for Alpine trips.

In a sensibly sized MH, you should not be cramped and getting ready in the morning shouldn't require contortions; you would want a seating area where you can have a coffee and pastry/cereal for breakfast; while a shower isn't necessary if you're on a site it would give you a decent heated space for drying jackets!

Of course this is all just an opinion . . .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are taking a caravan or motorhome to the Alps in winter you need to be properly prepared. The van needs to be fully winterised, ie well insulated with heating, protected water etc. You need to be aware that you may have to deal with deep snow and extremely cold conditions. If you are on a camp site then electric hook up can give you warmth from electric heaters but you still need to be well insulated. I would hate to be totally reliant on electricity. A campsite can provide other facilities such as showers, loos, possibly restaurant etc but again I would prefer some self sufficiency because things can go wrong, It is not unheard of to loose electricity on a camp site. If you are not intending to use camp sites then the whole self sufficiency thing becomes even more important. Using a motor home or caravan in the Alps can be great fun but it is not without difficulties. You always need more space than you think, and a winter awning is often very useful for storage, drying (a camp site will have a drying room but otherwise you need to rig something up) and as a general transition for bad weather conditions to a dry area!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's an ex-prison van and I'm sure that the MAM will be 10 tonnes or more. This means you can't drive it on a C1 licence.

Driving it to the Alps will take at least 2.5 days each way unless you use the péage at something like 3 times the rate for cars. It will also cost something over £300 each way in diesel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
200 euros a night - Bloody expensive - the Ski Station and other gites are less than that!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
£300 a day and 50p a mile. And nowhere to sit and have a drink? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks peeps, good info and thoughts. It has its own generator so not too worried about electricity failures but will be kept in mind. I agree with the improved need for a food prep area come kitchen. I d try see if they could maybe make space to put one in etc. Looks like it could be quite modular. As for price, getting it there would even out over a few weeks. Winterising for water is definitely something I will look into more. It has full heating though. As for price, I have not really come across Gites as close to the slopes as the camping Aires are for motorhomes that can be had for 120 euros per week per person. If you know otherwise, share the link as the cheapest I have seen when looking for accom is usually around the 150 euro per person for small self contained places. I think 15 - 20 euros for a safe nights kip is not too bad. As for the drive there - I know peeps that can drive the thing, it could be done for us or even negotiated possibly. I am not looking at this like i would a full on holiday. This is a shot at cheap digs for the night, for hardened skiers, festival goers. Keep the pointers coming.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd have thought that for €20 you could get a bed in a hostel, possibly including free breakfast and certainly having bathroom & kitchen facilities. I guess it would depend on the location you chose. In quieter times I've managed to get a single room in a pension b&b for that price.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I have not really come across Gites as close to the slopes as the camping Aires are for motorhomes that can be had for 120 euros per week per person.

There are absolutely loads of apartments for that price, outside peak school holiday weeks, with a lot more comfort than that motorhome. 7 berth, two-bedroom piste-side apartments can be had for €600 a week or less.

For two weeks hire, plus mileage to the Alps and back, ferry, fuel and tolls, I'd say you're you're looking at a cost of around £2000. Plus the cost of putting in some minimal cooking facilities (even if they were willing to consider that - there are a lot of safety regulations about cooking facilities, which usually means gas, in a vehicle like that). And the cost of travel to and from the alps for some of the party (as there are presumably not legal passenger seats for 10 people. And insurance, which would not be cheap. You are beginning to look at quite expensive beds in a very basic set up.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to revisit this topic as I now own the motorhome. Its called slumbertruck see www.slumbertruck.com and is doing the festival rounds in summer. I have found the best campsite in Europe (so say independent website reviews), just down the road from St Anton, on a free ski bus route into the resort. The campsite provides each motorhome with its own heated shower, toilet block and they are happy for me to use the awning which now houses a full on field kitchen (3 gas plates on 2 different burners, outside electricity, chairs and tables). The inside is well insulated and has heating.

Re reading through this, it appears I missed making the point that it would not only be used by a single group, I am thinking of renting it on a per bed per night basis. So you might be a single or 2 or 3 friends looking for a cheap getaway. I know their are slope side apartments but we don't all have 10 friends to go with to make it as cheap as £15 a night. Looking through St Anton prices, a hostel is about £38 a night as it is. If you can get it. A very expensive resort. I would look to drive it there and be there for a month or more. Yes its a £150 a night but thats only if you hire the whole thing..if you were passing through it would be £15 a night per person. You'd meet strangers...oooh new people, beware! So ...anyone?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy