Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can't decide what skis to buy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Im a level 4 skier looking to buy my first skis. We are going to Japan in Jan, so I've decided to buy instead of renting.

There are so many skis to choose from, it's insane.

Because I don't live anywhere near the snow,It's impossible to test a whole range out. I only have the internet to research and read and advise from the ski shop which is close by.

I've asked so many questions,I think they must be sick of me by now. they told me to stop looking too much into it and trust there judgment.

I just need an independent opinion, so I hope some of you can help.

Here are my specs,I'm 173cm and 100kg Level 4 skier. I have a pair of k2 Photons 2011@163 on lay-by and can't decide between those or the Atomic Blackeye 2013@167

will be in Japan next season,but will mainly ski here in Australia.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 2 and what you would pick if you were me.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
k2 photons are sub 80 mm width and would be narrower than optimum. but you don't say what type of skier you are eg on or off piste so it is difficult to guess. if you are skiing powder in Japan I think you need to be looking for a ski of 98 mm underfoot at least
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Chris, I will mainly be on piste skiing. I was told the groomers in Japan are quite soft, especially after a good dump over night. does this make a big difference if I get a 74mm waiste(photon) or 81mm waiste (blackeyes)? I was told "no"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buncha, You'll not be bothered by a 6mm difference on piste. If you were off somewhere where there was difficulty in hiring skis to suit wildly different conditions I'd say look to something a bit thicker in the waist like Movement Jams or Volkl Mantras . . . both wonderful broad spectrum condition tools (two of many) . . . But for on-piste hooning about both the Atomics and the K2 will be huge fun. I'll add that you really should take advantage of where you are going and book some skis and lessons if the famed Japan powder turns up when you are there . . . or you could go the whole hog and learn to snowboard in powder (better than sex and half as traumatic Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
agree with masque. if the atomics are 2013 year may as well go for them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Guys, here is another option put to me by another store. The k2 Rictor 90xti. Has anyone been on these? Some reviews are telling me it's for experts and others telling me intermediate. I think these look great for Japan but I'
m afraid its too good a ski for me. people always tell me it will be better to buy something I will ski into.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

people always tell me it will be better to buy something I will ski into.

Surely that depends on what you want from your skiing. If you want to ski for fun then buy something that works for you now. If you ski with a certain progress goal in mind then maybe buy something suitable to help you reach that goal.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Loads of awesome stuff out there next year, 100-105mm
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Buncha,
Quote:
people always tell me it will be better to buy something I will ski into.
. . well yes . . . if you understand that you can go to the equivalent of putting a Ferrari onto an indoor Go-cart track . . . I have attempted this . . . it did not end well rolling eyes

Thanks to snowboarding . . . YAY! . . . Pretty much ALL skis in the non specific/intermediate designated range are very capable of being skied by both Complete Numpties and Gnarly Dudes. You really don't have to worry. Yes, avoid the bottom end beginner crap but you do not have to worry about overpowering the vast majority of skies available to you. Race skis will just hurt you Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks heaps guys. definately getting the k2 Rictor 90xti for me and the Rictor 82xti for my lad.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.skiessentials.com/browse.cfm/2014-k2-amp-rictor-90-xti-skis-w-marker-mxc-14-bindings/4,7249.html

I believe its $100 flat rate to Oz.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Buncha wrote:
Thanks heaps guys. definately getting the k2 Rictor 90xti for me and the Rictor 82xti for my lad.

Good choice.

The 132-90-115 profile with tip rocker will cover all conditions you're likely to experience in Japan.

Where are you planning to go?

What length did you go for?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy