Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Country Access backpacks

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Snowheads gear help needed please!

I've been using the BCA Stash OB (16l) for the last couple of years for lift served off-piste and LOVE it. Love the well designed board carry system, the low and tight to your body center of gravity, really good zips, organised shovel and probe section, and just loads of nice practical design features. The only thing I don't like is the very small goggles pocket which I can't even fit my sunnies in.

Stash OB: http://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-access-stah-ob-winter-pack-976cu-in

But it is a bit small for splitboarding what with the extra bits of equipment to carry, so I was thinking of getting it's big brother the BCA Stash BC (35l).

Stash BC 35: http://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-access-stash-bc-pack-2400cu-in

However that is actually the old model and there is a new one out - the Stash 30.

Stash 30: http://www.backcountryaccess.com/product/stash-30/

Does anyone have any experience of either the Stash BC 35 or the Stash 30?

I am concerned that the 35 might be a bit 'sticky out' at the back seeing as it is the same height nad width but double the size. Also it probably has the the same rubbish goggle pocket too.

My intention is for this pack to be suitable for tours lasting a few nights (2 or 3) so would the 30 be a bit small? Is the new design as good as the old one? It is a touch lighter according to the specs. The helmet carry looks quite useful too although I didn't have a massive problem just clipping mine onto the rucksack OB so that isn't a swinging feature.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have an even older Stash BC 35 that looks like this:

I can fit all my stuff for a week in it but only just. No room for any food or crampons etc. So I only use it as a daysack.

The hoop zip is great for getting at stuff but it also means you have to lay it, back down, on the snow first. Also, it's easy for the zips to work open and stuff to fall out. I recently lost the handle to my shovel Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i have both the OB and BC and love both... the BC has a proper goggle pocket plus a helmet mesh net which really helps when boot packing our touring so helmet doesnt swing around. sits very flat when not stuffed , great bag
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You pay a bit more for the BCA packs, but the quality is fantastic. The green/yellow OB has been my pack of choice this season- I love the way everything tucks away so neatly, no catching on lifts etc. I haven't seen the new stash packs in the flesh yet, but they look like they've had a complete overhaul. They may be in short supply, as from recollection they were only available to retailers on pre- order - no doubt somebody will be along to correct me if I'm wrong. Last season was an odd one for the packs, as BCA opted not to distribute them in the UK, so glad to see they'll be back for next season.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok, thanks guys. That is helpful.

skimottaret, how much stuff can you fit in your BC? Reckon you can do a multi-day tour if you pack really well (sparse!)? I'm thinking 3 days, carrying equipment, liner and clothes plus lunch only. No stove or evening food or anything like that.

evski yes stock seems hard to find. I can't actually find the new Stash 30 for sale, but I don't need it until next year anyway. I have found a green and yellow Stash BC 35 for sale but my thinking is that is just the tail end of stock so if I want it I should buy now, and if I go for the 30 I can wait.

altis I think the quality might have improved - I haven't had any problems with the OB zips coming loose or anything.

Def leaning towards the older style BC 35 than the new 30 at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kat.ryb, not a BCA, but my go-anywhere pack is an Ortovox Peak 42 which I find as handy for day tours as for overnighting and it's as tough as old boots. It's roomy enough for a sleeping bag, food, clothes, all your safety & climbing kit, skins etc. and has a brilliant ski carrying system. For day tours, it packs close so that it feel much smaller and will easily hold a small tent too for summer hiking trips.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kat.ryb, sorry never done a multi day tour. worked okay for crampons rope carbs bivi tent and all the crap you have to bring along for day touring...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kat.ryb, yes, any 35s will be the last of the old stock and won't be replaced. The new 30s should arrive in the UK September or October.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kat.ryb, Given you might not be able to get hold of a 35, not sure how useful my post is, but hey ho! I have had a 35 for several years (its the original orange not the 'puke' green IMHO!)

This has been an awesome bag mainly used for day skiing with the normal load (down/outer/shovel/probe/water) so never really to full capacity - the expansion straps are superb at ensuring everything stays snug and not flapping around.

Just recently I completed a 5 night hut to hut in Austria so needed to load up with additional items including crampons/harsheisen/harness/sleep bag/various biners/straps and extra clothing. The bag was pretty fully loaded but performed faultlessly.

Things that stood out for me was the versatility of all the straps (eg variety of ski carry options/use of helmet net above main load/board straps used for quick access on/off jacket carrier)

Oh and one other thing, the sometimes reported 'gimmicky' drink tube cover never failed whilst some of those around me suffered frozen and dripping tubes! A small point but worth taking into account!

One of the riginal reviews can be found here
http://youtube.com/v/OqxDHTuclWs

If you can get hold of a 35, go for it Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kat.ryb, I bought mine (original, original version Wink ) back in 2005 (£62 off ebay) so the zips might have improved but it could well just be wear.

Check out the weights too. BCA sacks tend to be loaded with features and the weight suffers.

For touring I've used a GoLite Jam2 for several years now. 50 litres so plenty of rummage room but there's absolutely no frame in them - you can roll it up when it's empty! The large back version is comfortable enough for me (if a bit wobbly with the skis balanced on the sides) but the best bit is it's only 636g.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Right, totally sold on the 35.

Happy to hear it has a real goggle pocket and isn't too bulky, yet can fit a decent amount of kit in.

Have found one on Blue Tomato is the 'puke' green and yellow (andyman). Also found a black on someone else with a massive 30% off but fashion dictates I get something clashing so gone for the green and yellow one snowHead

moffatross, UCPA use Orvox's (not sure which model, have seen a few different ones) and I've not been very impressed - they don't seem to fit me very well and have never seemed as well designed as the BCA OB 16.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have the 35 you're looking at. It's a fantastic bag but personally I'd go for a 40+ if on a multi day tour, probably one with an extendable top to stuff excess gear. I'll be using it for a MB attempt soon and it'll be rammed tight with just 1 overnight hut stop. Then again my gear is probably slightly more bulky as I'm not a massive weight stickler and I run hot so layers sit in the bag.

2 things that's worth noting; 1 is that the helmet carry system is FANTASTIC. Can easily stash your helmet + stuff inside the helmet and no chance it'll fall out. The second is that I've snapped the upper strap system carrying a reasonable weight + skis on the bag. The plastic rod woven in snapped in half and will no longer bear a load.

Edit: Taken mine back to the BCA rep. There's been 3 returns to the Chamonix rep recently, all for the same issue I had. Maybe steer clear? Depends how hard you are on your gear and how much you haul on your back.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kat.ryb, I have a BS Stash 30 and have used it quite a lot in the 2 seasons I've owned it (7 weeks in total) .

Colurs: 2 or 3 from memory, some loud and garrulous and some subtle.

Build quality: excellent. Mine has taken a lot of abuse and has held up well.

Carry system: has a diagonal and an A frame setup for ski-carriage and a decent horizontal setup for boards. Don't know if it can boards any other way.

Pockets: way too many! I found a new pocket on the last trip that I didn't know existed! Very Happy

Compartments: 2 main ones. Easy access points (front and back) to the larger compartment. Very useful to keep wets and drys seperate.

Insulated sleeve which works to up to and around -10 in the real world.

Main compartment large enough to carry a pair of boots (important for me)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My green and yellow BCA Stash BC arrived today. Looks really good - not actually as fat as I was expecting which is good because it is longer than the OB. Seems to have all the features of the OB I like, plus a few extra nice touches e.g. the separate pocket for shovel etc and helmet carry. The goggle pocket is def a lot bigger than the one on the OB, but I still don't think it will fit my Oakley Airbrakes.
Shame I have to wait until next winter to try it out for real! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like a good excuse to get new goggles!

I like the green and yellow. Looks much better on the mountain than it does on the high street.
snow conditions
evski, nah, my goggles are the bomb!

Agreed on the colour, I think it is actually quite nice - should look suitable bright and clashing with my yellow and blue ski gear snowHead
snow report
worst on the market IMO, old tech, nasty rucksack, poor comportability, price is good tho
ski holidays
Oh well, too late now CH2O Very Happy

What do you mean by comportability?
latest report
kat.ryb, are you selling your OB 16 then? Interested if you are, PM me.
latest report
Sorry Mistress Panda think I'll probably keep it for lift-served holidays.
ski holidays
Hi, this is just the kind of data I need for my backpack survey (see my post of today)...will you complete my survey for me for my degree project? Puzzled https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/X2SJ637 (Only 7 questions!) Thank you
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy