Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie here. Advice for first time Ski Holiday please

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Total newbies here. As new as you can get. The closest we have come to Skis is buying Yoghurts in the Supermarket.

For the past few years my Wife & I have been wanting to do a ski holiday but there has always been some reason why we couldn't...GCSE's, Kids too young, no holidays left at work etc.

Well, there's a few people in work who have been telling me that I SIMPLY MUST do it. I must enjoy the thrills of a Ski Holiday. Therefore, this year we are ditching our Winter Holiday to the Canaries and are serious about a Skiing holiday. Therefore, I really hope you guys will welcome us into the fold and help us choose a Skiing holiday based on our requirements. Please forgive me if I make some silly errors or say something daft. We literally know nothing about Skiing, which leads me on.... So, I have been listening to the guys in work and they have been really helpful and given me a lot of anecdotal advice. I have also asked the blokes down the pub which in hindsight was probably a mistake (because some of the information is contradictory). So I joined a general holiday forum and asked a few questions there and those guys pointed me in this direction, so I hope you'll welcome us.

Please would you guys read below and let me have your thoughts. Bear in mind that I have asked a few different people questions and I have included some answers from those people as well as the questions...

So, below are some of the questions I asked alongside some of the answers...

We are a family of 4. Mum 45 years old, Dad 50 years old, Daughter 16, Son 15.

1. Val Thoren is good for absolute beginners. ANSWER....Not too sure about this, its very high up so fairly sure to get snow but the skiing can be challenging along with the weather. Personally I'd look at resorts like Sestriere in Italy

2. Merribelle is good for beginners but it's really expensive, like £10 per pint. ANSWER...Most major ski resorts can be pretty expensive, especially on slopes or in apres ski areas. Not been to Meribel but I dont expect its much more than others

3. Alpine elements is a good site to book with because most other companies take you on a Saturday but alpine go on a Sunday so you get a day when everybody else is travelling when you're not. ANSWER... generally changeover day will be Saturday or Sunday and you get 6 days skiing on a weeks holiday. Ski lessons generally run Monday to Friday and you ski free on the weekend day you have free.

4. Try and get a catered Hotel (you get B&B & evening meal) because food is mega expensive. ANSWER...Very much personal choice, as a family we've always gone self catering for lots of reasons including price.

5. Try and get half board.

6. Don't buy your Ski passes before you go. You can pay cash when you get there and they are cheaper. ANSWER...Be aware if you try to do your own organisation don't leave it until the Monday morning as the queues will be huge. For ease I have to admit I generally just book with travel agent if we use one

7. Don't buy your lessons before you go. Buy them in the resort. ANSWER...Be aware if you try to do your own organisation don't leave it until the Monday morning as the queues will be huge. For ease I have to admit I generally just book with travel agent if we use one. I don't think lift passes are any cheaper if you buy there. That said, we usually get ours on the coach transfer on the way to the hotel, the reps sell them on the bus, and take cards too!

8. You need to allow about £280 each person for Ski Passes. ANSWER...All areas will vary you need to research. If going to a large ski area such as 3 Valleys or Milky Way as beginners you may not need full area passes and so be able to save money on just a local resort pass, example here http://www.sestriere-online.com/lift-passes/

I have quite a few other replies, advice and opinions too.

With this lot in mind I would be grateful on advice here for our first Skiing holiday.

We can only go (School Hols) between the following dates Friday 22nd December 2017 & Tues 2nd Jan 2018

We would like to go to Europe as I assume it would be cheaper?

We would like a resort where there are other things to do in case our youngest gets bored of Skiing. He's a slow learner and can get frustrated!

I know this is a lot for a first post and hope you guys will be able to point me in the right direction.

Oh yes, and we'd prefer not to share a chalet with other people.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You will continue to get contradictory advice unfortunately, even on here, but hopefully it'll be good information and you'll be able to make an informed decision that suits you.

Your dates aren't the best for guaranteeing good conditions so I'd look to stay high. Personally I wouldn't choose Maribel as it can suffer in those conditions. VT is most likely to have reasonable conditions but the pistes aren't ideal for beginners. It's still a good option but wouldn't be my first choice. Personally I'd look at La Plagne, but that's mainly just because it was the first place that I went.

If you're on a budget then Crystal are a good shout for your operator, however you do have to bear in mind that you're not paying the big bucks so dont expect first class service (I've always found everyone personable and helpful though).

Lift passes shouldn't be 280 each but it does vary from resort to resort. Personally I budget £250 per trip and expect them to be nearer £230. However as you mention you can possibly look at cheaper 'resort only' passes rather than whole area. For example in Val Thorens just get the VT pass rather than the whole 3 valleys. You do have to keep your wits about you though to make sure you know what piste you're on and that your ticket is valid for the lift at the bottom of the run!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to a dry slope or snowdome to get some time in boots. If you can all do a basic snow plough then your time in the snow will be so much better. I would go for a full package, yes you might save a few quid getting it all separately but do you want the hassle?
We did a full "learn to ski week" in a a half board hotel..It was a long time ago but I am sure you can still get them. We now always self cater but do you want to come back and start cooking,washing up etc..
Insurance is worth checking out.
See if you can borrow kit, gloves jackets etc or go to tkmax/ebay when they get there ski gear in, its amazing how much money people spend on lurid anoraks to have on for 6 days...
HAVE FUN
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@franksebem, although for other holidays I prefer self catering for ski holidays I prefer catered.... saying that we have self catered and are when we go in Feb half term but that is driven by how expensive it is to go mainstream catered in school holidays and especially half term.

I would recommend for your first experience going with a TO (tour operator) and booking list things through them.... yes you can safe a bit of money by doing things independently but from the ease of getting used to a lot of new things it is worth paying.

I would look at packages with Inghams as well Crystal (would have said Ski total but get the impression you are keen on the ski chalets from what you have said).

Second recommendation for lessons before you go as well as booking them for being out there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would also suggest Tour Operator for first trip. After that you can wing it alone but on your first trip everything will be completely alien to you and it'll help to be slightly looked after by some people who roughly know how the whole thing works. Resorts on a Saturday are full of people busily buzzing around sorting their stuff out and I think if I'd tackled it alone the first time around it'd have been quite intimidating. Was nice to have the TO holding my hand so to speak.

For those dates you have to go high, it's 'early season'. I think to the skiing unaware we think of the traditional winter... December/January time, realistically February is the safer bet! Is there any chance you could do the February half term instead of the Christmas holidays? It'll cost more but snow conditions will be better for sure.

I would say that doing some time in a snowdome could be good in advance of your first trip. Learning to put skis on, balance on them, and turn in a snowplough will probably accelerate you through a day or two of lessons in resort. If you don't live close to a snowdome, lots offer 1-day lessons that cover a lot of ground so perhaps you could travel. My first ski holiday was, in my opinion, more fun because I'd mastered the basics by the time I turned up and it took the pressure off having to be in lessons all the time.

As for beer price, yes you'll find places where it costs 10 euros. You'll also find places where it costs 6 euros. I find that whilst the cover price is dearer on a chalet, the custom of buying beer in the supermarket and drinking it in the chalet lounge (which tends to be a social environment in the evenings) cuts down my bar tab dramatically and helps make up the difference.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@franksebem, welcome to snowHead . My personal pieces of advice would be:
beg/borrow as much of your ski kit as possible - otherwise look at getting stuff from TKMaxx, Lidl, Aldi and other budget retailers
have some lessons on a dry slope before you go - this did my daughter a world of good when she was starting out (don't worry if you find skiing on dry slope to be a bit difficult - it's harder than on the real snow)
have lessons when you are out there - the instructor should take you on runs which are appropriate for your skill level and it's a great way of finding your way around
book through a tour operator for your first trip - keep it simple
some TOs do "learn to ski" packages - I'd be tempted to book these, if you can
for your first trip, I would go for the hotel not self-catering
definitely get insurance
as for the resort - it'd be sensible to have a high resort or a resort with access to high skiing, or a Scandinavian resort (NB beer prices in Scandiland can be mental if you are drinking out)

Enjoy it
And ask lots of questions on here (you'll usually get sensible answers)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@franksebem, welcome to snowHead

1. Val Thorens wouldn't be challenging if you stayed on the easy slopes. It can be bleak though and it will be more expensive than others.

2. Meribel is also probably more expensive than many others but for the same reason as Val T - it is part of the largest interlinked area in Europe and hence very popular. You won't need a big resort at this stage so I'd save this for later if I were you.

3. If you went with a Tour Operator they would ensure that you have lessons from the first morning whether it was a Sat or Sun changeover.

6. Lift passes - there is a variety of options. Once you've chosen your destination ask on here about what you should do about passes. See what price you'd be charged by the TO.

7. As you are going peak period, I'd book lessons in advance through the TO. If you left it to the day of arrival, there may not be any availability.

8. See Q6.

Aldi/Lidl ski stuff is very good value if you are buying clothing.

As to where to go, I'd agree with the others about going where skiing is at high altitude and would offer Les Deux Alpes as an option to consider. Personally I hate it there, but in its favour it has lots of greens and blues up on the glacier which you can access both up and then back down if you need by gondola and funicular so would be ideal learning territory for you all.

Lessons beforehand would be invaluable. Dry slopes are cheaper than indoor snow-domes, but the latter would give you the better experience.

Enjoy.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maybe have a think about Alpe D'Huez? Good for families. Resort is shaped roughly like a saucer, gentle slopes at the centre, steeper as you go outwards from there.

PS in contrast to Ray Zorrow, I like Les Deux Alpes, it feels like putting on a comfy pair of slippers when I go there (I'll be there in the coming season). It it's not brilliant for beginners who wish to ski home, though.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 14-09-17 12:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
achilles wrote:
Maybe have a think about Alpe D'Huez? Good for families. Resort is shaped roughly like a saucer, gentle slopes at the centre, steeper as you go outwards from there.

Slight hijack but how much of a "safe bet" is that area for Christmas? It is an area tempted to go but concerns over this has made me hesitate?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to SHs, @franksebem. snowHead What's your budget for the trip? Even a rough idea will help us to provide appropriate advice. But yes, it will be contradictory - just because we all like skiing, it doesn't mean that we all like the same sort of holiday.

What sort of holiday do you and your family like? Ski resorts are as varied as, for example, beaches in the UK. Some are beautiful, quiet and remote. Some have lots of amusements on hand. Some require a hike down a tricky cliff path - some allow you to park opposite the sands.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meribel not great at that time of year, Val Thorens not Ideal for beginners. The most snowsure resort in France at this time would be Val D'Isere. It has a great beginner area up high and has recently been improved to cater for beginners with new covered magic carpet lifts, although you will need to get the main lift back down as the runs into town are brutal for beginners.
Another great resort for beginners at that time of year would be Obergurgl in Austria. Certainly cheaper on the mountain than France and a lovely little village.

Not booking lessons until you get to resort/on transfer bus is a bad idea in my opinion. Book them before. You are going in a busy week and would be gutted if you couldn't get space anywhere.

I agree with most of the advice here about booking all before you go. It will be a bit more expensive, but there is so much that is new it can be stressful for people not used to how things work. In my experience people who have been on skiing holidays often are very nonchalant about everything and forget they won't be there to assist you!

True that Sunday to Sunday holidays can be advantageous , but it shouldn't be a deal breaker and is lower on the priority list.

One thing is for sure, you will love it or hate it! So borrow all the kit you can.

We now put our skiing holiday as prioriy. It's an amazing thing to do as a family. I'm sure you will have lots of fun.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Look at Austria. Cheaper and better than France for a family holiday.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
downhillalltheway wrote:

Really? The deals that I see on TO sites are usually for France, everything in Austria tends to be more expensive.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Based on last Christmas which was poor, I'd say the safest bets snow wise in France are Tignes/Val D'isere, Val Thorens, Les Arcs and Montgenevre. For complete beginners I would say Les Arcs (2000, 1950 or 1800) or Montgenevre would be the most suitable all round. Both resorts are firm favourites with our family and we are all similar ages to your family....our eldest is 15.

We have done 3 trips to Montgenevre self drive (including flexi plus Eurotunnel) or train via Paris with Peak Retreats. The self catering properties they list in Montgenevre are all really good and have pools/spas- we have stayed in two of them (Hameau des Airelles and Chalet des Dolines) and I have also tried out the spa in Le Napoleon which is very good! If your youngest gets bored there is the Monty Express rollercoaster there which my children loved. It is likely to be less crowded than the better known resorts so would be a good place to learn.

We have also been to Les Arcs three times most recently staying at La Cime Des Arcs in Arc 2000 booked through Ski Collection. (they also book Eurotunnel flexi plus or the direct ski train plus taxi transfer). If your kids pick up skiing quickly there is night skiing twice a week on a blue piste in Arc 2000. There is also a long sledge run in the resort.
I also do not like sharing chalets with other people and find that self catering with the odd meal out makes for a relaxed holiday.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 5-10-17 17:21; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
downhillalltheway wrote:

Really? The deals that I see on TO sites are usually for France, everything in Austria tends to be more expensive.

I would check that you are comparing like for like. French 'deals' tend to be for a rabbit hutch a 30 minute drive from the slopes in my experience. It's amazing what they classify and sell as Meribel as an example.
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
achilles wrote:

Slight hijack but how much of a "safe bet" is that area for Christmas? It is an area tempted to go but concerns over this has made me hesitate?

Well, I haven't been there then, and I suspect it was a bit grim last season there. It is high, but the slopes are south facing. This page suggests that generally snow there will be OK. But it is an iffy time of the year, and I have not skied there then. Maybe those who have could comment further.
snow conditions
@downhillalltheway, rabbit hutch, yes. 30 minute drive, no. Usually ski in/ski out and I'd always check the location prior to booking anything. The Austrian deals are no doubt more likely to include a bit more, but even on like for like it still seems to be cheaper in the large French resorts.
ski holidays
Opinions are like bumholes everyone has one.

Trying to hit a few of your points

- As never evers snow reliability isn't really a concern you won't be whooping it up off piste, for your dates you just need good snow cannon coverage

- Austria generally does half board family style hotels better

- TO definitely for your first time, you will genuinely benefit from some handholding and might find a good value bundle for lessons/gear hire/pass

I'd look at somewhere like Ellmau or Soll but many places in Austria have good gun coverage, excellent English speaking tuition and a "fun" vibe.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude,
I agree Austria tends to be more expensive than France through TOs. I find it's cheaper when going DIY.
TOs don't have much in the way of self-catering appartments in Austria. I'm not sure why, there's plenty available.
latest report
Hi, and welcome to the forum.

First congratulations on deciding to go skiing. Its a great family holiday and hopefully you'll all love it! Very Happy

1. Agree with others that it would be worth getting a few basic lessons at home, preferably at a snow centre if you live near one. You should still book lessons in the resort, but should be able to enjoy your first day of resort lessons actually skiing the easy runs rather than learning how to put your boots and skis on and hold your poles.
2. Go with a tour operator for your first trip as it makes it easier. Inghams, Crystal, Neilson etc. Most of the booking websites like Iglu are agents for the tour operators also.
3. Catered or self-catering is a personal preference but personally I prefer catered. You'll be tired after a days skiing and might not feel like cooking for yourself or even going out looking for a restaurant. Also some of the self catered apartments can be quite small and claustrophobic IMO.
4. I know you say you'd prefer not to share a chalet, but I'd recommend a large chalet or chalet/hotel which many of the operators offer. Its basically an informal hotel for 30+ guests where you get your own room (usually ensuite) but all eat together. They also often provide afternoon tea and free wine with dinner which means you can enjoy a drink in the evening and save money on expensive resort bar prices. The other guests will likely be individual families similar to yourself at that time of year and its usually a nice social atmosphere.
5. Have you considered Easter school holidays as an alternative date? Better chance of snow at high resorts, better weather and probably a bit cheaper.
6. Val Thoren and Meribel are part of the 3 Valleys Area. This is a fantastic, huge resort but because of this, the lift passes (even the local ones) will be expensive. The same goes for other 'mega resorts' like La Plagne and VDS. Great for intermediates but as complete beginners you will only ski a small fraction of this area in your first week. It might be better to choose a smaller resort which would have cheaper lift passes and still enough runs to keep you happy as beginners.
7. Aldi, Lidl and Sports Direct are good for cheap ski clothing that is perfectly adequate. Don't forget helmets. You can rent them in resort complete with other peoples head-sweat, but can buy your own for pretty much the same price at these stores as the resorts charge to rent. Rent your boots and skis in resort. Ski rental is one area where you can make quite significant savings if you book online independently before you go rather than through the TO. Snowbrainer, Slopefox and alpinresorts offer quite good deals in most resorts. Lift passes tend to be the same price however you book them in my experience so may as well book through the reps or TO. The only variable on these tends to be the exchange rate at the time of booking, but if anyone else has a tip on how to get cheaper lift passes I'd love to know!
snow report
For a first trip I'd give a nod to Austria too. France offers the big mountains and better off piste for advanced skiers but for beginners Austria offers more charm imo and the ski schools are well known as being the best, the attitude towards visitors is better than France too. Many of the high French resorts are massive concrete jungles. The cost of food on the mountain is affordable in Austria, it's generally not in France, Chances are you'll all be in classes so pick somewhere with loads of wide roomy blue runs to build confidence. You dont need a massive ski area like 3 valleys, for 6 days a small to medium sized resort offers more than enough pistes.
Could do far worse than Saalbach Hinterglemm - easy transfer, walk to lifts short, state of the art lift system with no queuing. Pistes on north facing and south facing slopes giving options for snow conditions.
Wherever you end up it'll be fun, Make sure you check the DINs on the bindings. Also carry skis over your shoulder, not across your chest! Laughing
snow conditions
@SlipnSlide, as a family I agree that they're unlikely to get around a big resort much in the first week. However I skied La Plagne on my first week on skis and covered a huge number of the blue runs and a fair few reds. I'd have done much more but would often lap one chair/piste to try and improve technique on each run.
ski holidays
Quote:

New post

= daft generalisation. Some places in Austria are cheaper and better for a family than some places in France. And vice versa..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Resort Avoriaz ticks your boxes well. It is high at 1800 and a snow pocket so it will be pretty likely to have snow. Lots of self catering accommodation. Ski in and ski out in almost all cases so returning for lunch is an option. Good beginners resort. Accommodation is often cramped though so read the small print on size and pace it out. By law they must publish the floor area of rental apartments. Beginners lift is right in the middle of the resort. Good aquatic center in resort and you can take a lift down to Prodain with a shuttle [ short ] to Morzine.

As others have said some dry slope or fridge lessons are a good investment.

Crystal Ski is one option if you want to go with a tour operator. Possibly wise for your first ski holiday.

But EasyJet to Geneva Alpybus transfer to Prodains and book direct with Pierre & Vacances for possible savings.
snow report
Definitely go with a Tour Operator. Depending on which resort you choose, the TO's are offering some good deals at the moment. Such as 'buy one lift pass get the second half price' or bundles like 'ski hire/week of lessons/lift pass' for not much more than the cost of the pass alone (eg. for one resort we looked at the ski hire/learn-to-ski lessons for the week/lift pass bundle was only about £30 more than the cost of the pass alone).

I would throw Italy into the mix. The food (and coffee) is fantastic & prices are reasonable. Corvara or La Villa have a huge amount of gentle blue runs. The pistes are all immaculately groomed. They also have excellent snow-making, so it 'should' be a safe bet for that time of year.
snow report
Klammertime wrote:
For a first trip I'd give a nod to Austria too. France offers the big mountains and better off piste for advanced skiers but for beginners Austria offers more charm imo and the ski schools are well known as being the best, the attitude towards visitors is better than France too.

I've had good ski instruction in Austria - but the best instruction I have had (i.e. worked for me) has been in France (especially from easiski). For the most part that instruction was independent, but I have had a top instructor who was ESF, too.

Quote:
.... The cost of food on the mountain is affordable in Austria, it's generally not in France...

Were that so, no one would eat at French mountain restaurants; IME they do.

However, of course Austria has a lot to offer; Princess Di took her children there for a reason. Not so sure about booking there that time of the year, though.
snow report
achilles wrote:
Quote:
.... The cost of food on the mountain is affordable in Austria, it's generally not in France...

Were that so, no one would eat at French mountain restaurants; IME they do.

However, of course Austria has a lot to offer; Princess Di took her children there for a reason.

Perhaps it was the cheaper mountain grub what swung it for the royals? snowHead
latest report
achilles wrote:
Princess Di took her children there for a reason.

Better access to Nazi fancy dress?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My humble opinion.
1Tour op...no need to arrange transfers.

2. Chalet or chalet hotel catered. For the kids it will mean they will probably be able to make new friends. Food may be good, may be average, but good value. The social side of skiing is a big thing and self catered might feel a bit isolated for the first time.

3. Somewhere with good native English speaking instruction can make or break the first experience.

4. Borrow kit. Thermals a must at Christmas. Hire skis and boots in resort.

5. Have some lessons on an indoor slope before you go. You will learn how to put your kit on and get a feel of sliding about.

6. Once you have identified the resort, research ski schools and book lessons ASAP for that time of year.

My sister has had a couple of good value Christmas trips with Alpine Elements to their chalethotel Hauts de Toviere in Tignes. Looks like they are running their trips from 20th Dec though. Tignes and Val d'isere mean there is a wide choice of ski school. Sister was very happy with Ultimate Ski school in Tignes-small groups even in busy periods. Her boys ski like demons. If you are all beginners, ask the ski school which is the best lift pass to go for if you are beginners as, if you are based in a big ski area, you probably won't need the most expensive or wide ranging. Some resorts have free beginner slopes and so you may not even need to buy a pass for a full week. If you can pre book lift passes through the tour op, with advance advice from the ski school as to what you may need, that again reduces hassle.

Tignes isn't chocolate box pretty, but there will be snow and there are other things to do. It's similar to VT in terms of lack of trees etc, but I would say it may be better supplied with native English speaking ski schools.

Www.igluski.com is a good reseource for identifying holidays. Once you seen one that looks interesting, google the hotel, chalet or property and you will probably find which tour op it is.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 14-09-17 16:53; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, Shocked

Lech is pretty much perfect for family skiing - but not on a tight budget.
latest report
I'd go to Austria, with someone like Crystal, there are not many Chalet Opportunities in Austria.
If you can afford it Mark Warner is a good idea, your teenagers will love it.
(I just noticed they have a place in Zell am Zee, which you'll love)

Although going to the high resorts nearly guarantees to be snow sure, I'd rather take a chance on a lower resort.
Skiing on Glaciers at Christmas is miserable.

Lessons, Lessons, Lessons you'll all enjoy them.

The best bargains will be in the smaller resorts, I think its worth the risk of a snow drought.

Save those high mega resorts for when you feel the need to cover 50km of pistes a day.
snow conditions
IMHO For a first timer skiing is stressful enough without having to bother with transfers,sorting out the ski hire, lift passes, lessons, etc., etc., etc. go with a TO preferably catered in one form or another.
The first time that you go you need your hand held, yes it costs more than DIY but no-one ever said that a skiing holiday was cheap. If you get addicted then the lessons that you learn on this holiday will enable you to make better value judgement decisions for future holidays.

Should you decide on France then be very aware that a "Studio for 2-4" is small, no, make that minute, maybe 21-30 Sq metres into which is crammed a bathroom, bunk beds in the "entrance hall" or "coin montagne" separated from the main room by a curtain (if you are lucky) which will have a sofa bed, dining table and 4 chairs, a kitchenette and probably a tv. A French studio for 2-4 is cramped for 2, with 2 teenage children tempers will flare by the end of the week. I don't know about other countries as my experience is out of date.

Going on the snow conditions for the last 2-3 years then I would suggest that for Chistmas it would be best to be at around 2000 mts for France and a bit lower would do for Austria. As beginners you won't need a big resort just good learner slopes.

Also be aware that you could be setting yourself up for a major financial commitment for life, skiing holidays appear to be the one type of holiday that children want to keep going on with their parents for ever. We had a wonderful holiday last year with our daughters, their partners and children. I know of one family who now have 4 generations go on a ski holiday together.

Drinking and eating in mountain restaurants ranges from expensive to excruciatingly expensive. Beer and wine from the shops, while dearer than down the mountain is not that bad compared to English prices.

Above all concentrate on your family having a good stress free holiday.
snow conditions
If you decide to take some lessons indoors in a snow centre consider doing it sooner rather than later. The fridges will be less busy now than in November / December - and there are possibly still deals around (eg check out groupon).
ski holidays
4. Try and get a catered Hotel (you get B&B & evening meal) because food is mega expensive.

MY ANSWER - We have done S/C due to choice and price, and actually don't always want to sit down to a hotel/restaurant dining room or type of meal. With S/C you can pick and choose what and when you feel like it, nor does it have to be expensive.

6. Don't buy your Ski passes before you go.

Seems to be no difference in price if you book or get on the day (excepting queues). You can book via Sunweb and get them included at seemingly a great price.

7. Don't buy your lessons before you go. Buy them in the resort.

If you go with a T/O you will be locked in with their ski school but will get lessons. If you don't and choose you own which has the benefit of booking something that should meet your needs, then don’t wait but book early as we have booked late for busy times and not always got what we wanted.

8. You need to allow about £280 each person for Ski Passes. NO

YES...All areas will vary you need to research and YES, if beginners you may not need full area passes. Sadly your kids are too old to ski for free, but you can get some family pass deals if you look.

Everyone will have their views and answers, and a lot will be personal preference and how much or little effort you want to put in - usually effort is inversely related to cost. I would go on TO trips when a solo feckless youngster but recently when faced for paying for 4 heads I found quickly that its not too hard to book yourself and either pay less or get something that suits better (we do city breaks alongside the ski trip which usually needs us to book them) or both. And it fact its a hell of a lot more interesting doing it yourself and hours of fun/satisfying (when it goes well) than just turning up and getting bused around.

If you are planning to go this Xmas then look now, as I was looking recently in the Zillertal and was not finding a lot of S/C accommodation for a similar sized party that (I thought, being a tight sod) was reasonable.

One of the more complicated holiday options but skiing is something that the kids & I (and maybe the OH) enjoy and so have decided that we will do them. Oh dear time, to sweat over the weather reports now!
snow conditions
Have to disagree politely about not booking lessons before you go as suggested by @ster. As Christmas Day is a Monday this year and, as schools may be back by 3rd Jan, I reckon Christmas week will be busier than usual cos many families will not be able to fit a week in after Christmas. Sunday change overs may be rarer too, as many people don't like going away on 24th Dec if it means arriving in the resort early evening just as the locals are tucking into their Christmas Eve festivities. All feels a bit rushed.
Just because you book with a tour op does NOT mean you have to book their favoured ski school. In some resorts the ski school options may be very limited in which case, if the tour op has a good relationship with a ski school, go with it. However, if you go to a big ski area in France, then the ski school options are far better. It would be wrong to condemn the French ESF as universally sh*te, but it would be last on my list unless I had a clear recommended instructor to go with. You don't find many ESF enthusiasts in this forum. Booking before you go, mean you can look for ski schools which may offer smaller groups. The kids won't have much fun if they are in a beginners class of over a dozen, which can happen all too often in a high season week.
snow report
ster wrote:

7. Don't buy your lessons before you go. Buy them in the resort.

If you go with a T/O you will be locked in with their ski school but will get lessons. If you don't and choose you own which has the benefit of booking something that should meet your needs, then don’t wait but book early as we have booked late for busy times and not always got what we wanted.

Oops, I wasnt very clear, the first sentence was the question I was answering, the following para was my answer where I say "dont wait but book early as we have booked late for busy times and not always got what we wanted".
latest report
@Timc, "Should you decide on France then be very aware that a "Studio for 2-4" is small, no, make that minute, maybe 21-30 Sq metres into which is crammed a bathroom, bunk beds in the "entrance hall" or "coin montagne" separated from the main room by a curtain (if you are lucky) which will have a sofa bed, dining table and 4 chairs, a kitchenette and probably a tv. A French studio for 2-4 is cramped for 2, with 2 teenage children tempers will flare by the end of the week. I don't know about other countries as my experience is out of date. "

As a broad generalisation, that has a little merit. Caveat emptor.

However, you're either looking in the wrong places or are out of date on France as well. E.g. Our small apartments have two bathrooms, two bedrooms (admittedly one can convert to bunks if YOU want that density) and a good 30m2 of living/dining. EDIT - that's 30m2 in addition to bed and bathrooms...

Spacious for 4, very adequate for 6.

They are not significantly more expensive than the rabbit hutches you describe as a. I am clearly despite dimensions and floor plans rubbish at communicating this and b. People don't think hard enough.

I am also rubbish at communicating that the average on piste skier doesn't want to be next door to the Aiguille du Midi "where all the skiing is" but would be much better beside the Brevent where most of the skiing actually is. Puzzled

You can, even in purpose built blocks, increasingly find sensibly sized apartments (adjacent apartments being merged). But you do need to read the ads and avoid anything that gives insufficient detail.

I have seen a 16m2 studio advertised for 8 people... Shocked

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 15-09-17 7:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
The thing about French accommodation is that there is an enormous range - in most resorts. From rabbit hutches where hard-up families and groups can cram 'em in to luxury pads with cinemas, gyms, massage room and horizon swimming pools overlooking the mountains (with your own chef to pander to your every whim - my son has been that chef).

One thing certain - you MUST book your ski lessons before you go or you could well find nothing available. In my resort all the lessons for half term (group and private) were booked when I went into the ski school before Christmas.
latest report
@pam w, good point re ski lessons.

Also, FR Vacs often mean changes to regular timetables... so really needs booking in advance.

To expand, Easter a few years ago ESF only did any possibility of anglophone lessons up the Brevent in the afternoon. Woooh - slushfest.

Evo2 would do mornings (nice, ice!) but only at La Tour.

Neither ideal for my brother's family. Went with Evo and it was fine if a bit of a faff.

Little details like that make big differences.
snow report
Perty wrote:
You don't find many ESF enthusiasts in this forum.

Well, yes, that's true. But we're all a bit anal on here and in general, many thousands of people go on their first ski holiday with a TO, book lessons with "The Ski School", (they have no idea who that is, let alone that there is a choice of ski school in most resorts), and still have a great time. So, in an ideal situation, the OP would research all available ski schools and pick out their chosen one but sometimes it's easier for complete beginners just to go with the flow, (and the other nervous beginners in their TO group), to the meeting place which will have been shown/clearly explained by the rep on the transfer bus. Wandering round in unfamiliar territory, in ski boots, carrying skis, worrying about the time and looking for "your" different ski school is not the best way to start the day. Just another point of view!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy