Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2014/2015 (Folks that a Wrap 2014/15 season)

Poster: A snowHead
Sitter wrote:
Stories going round that the Weisse Rausch won't be going down Happy Valley this year (currently closed due to avalanches) but instead heading towards Tanzboden talstation and down via Kandahar to Zammermoos and then as normal.

They have used that route in the past.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
REMINDER

For anyone travelling out to Austria from April 21st ArlbergStraßentunnel is closed until November for safety work.

So from Langen to St Jakob you will have to take the ArlbergPaß & despite restricting the heavy vehicles by half it will be very busy with trucks etc (like the old days).

This guy has an unfortunate name Happy

http://youtube.com/v/WeB-YbgrCFM

http://derstandard.at/2000014284062/Verkehrslawine-am-Arlberg

Added to the chaos roadworks will resume on the re-route of Alberbergpaß (L197)

snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

http://youtube.com/v/bqail0Crpro
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This guy has an unfortunate name
Shocked Very Happy
Did his father name the Wankbahn?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we were probably 24 hours too late, but had a fun day out on the 9th April

http://youtube.com/v/ESJaPEjGUVc
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Folks

Der Weiße Rausch - Saturday 18. April 2015 17:00 CET .

http://www.arlbergadler.eu/en/arlberg-eagle/the-weisser-rausch.html

Live Streaming

http://tirol.orf.at/studio/stories/2527350
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@stanton, Great weekend in the sun, want to do that race sometime......
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks.

Into the last week of the season..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Markymark29 wrote:
@stanton, Great weekend in the sun, want to do that race sometime......

Next year?! I've been saying for quite a while that I want to do it, just to say I've done it. Was looking at the winning times yesterday, and had I entered I'd have been second in my category with what I think I could do it in. Having said that, there was only one female snowboarder in that category and three in total!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rebuild of the Gampen restaurant starts in May. On the negative side, I understand Austria will increase the VAT next year.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Private Hill

Empty slopes just locals relaxing counting the seasons millions €€€ Very Happy

Gampen Restaurant will be not be a refurb.
Its going to be Completely demolished & rebuilt.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/RaWtb6zFvL0
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

http://youtube.com/v/YQMoyKlHigI
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Closing Weekend Weather. Rain Sleet & Snow to finish !

http://youtube.com/v/R0m6pLoJ78w
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Umbrella weather tomorrow Very Happy
snow report
Sunny for the last day of the season!
snow report
Folks. Thats it for 2014/15

Round to Ischgl and then.......

Let the ski touring season begin Very Happy
latest report
@stanton, well done for maintaining this thread throughout winter.....some great posts this season.

Personally I got fed up with those in early January moaning about snow conditions, it however came good (better than good, excellent) as it always does, we had the best 3 weeks of pow in the season and the best skiing ever in St Anton, love the place. We'll be back in August for the Bike Marathon MTB race and some hut to hut walking/ scrambling, then Xmas/ New Year and beyond......Arlberg #1! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Markymark29,

No matter how the official tourist office dresses it up.
This was not a great season & cetainly was not a
fantastic powder season.
Ok maybe 4M base snow on the
Valluga today but tourists cancelled at Xmas & they
been running the liifts the last two weeks like empty trains
In North Korea..

Skibums come & go (2 seasons average). They mostly
do not speak or understand Germam so therefore live in a bubble.
I probably know all there landlords

I just tell it as it is ...unbiased... Very Happy
ski holidays
@Markymark29, @stanton,

I only managed one week there, it was fine, not an epic season, the base was pretty thin really but if you hit it right you get powder (I hit it right on a different trip to Bavaria, fresh tracks on little ski hills that no one goes to). Some years it feels like it's none stop and you wonder if you'll ever see the sun, so it's not the end of the world to have a sunny ski week like we had. It was probably better than the previous season (not checked the stats, but that was pretty thin too). I'm sure it'll come good again of course, we had a few epic seasons not too long ago, so maybe next year? As long as the lifts are running I'm not complaining.

Thanks for the updates from everyone, especially @stanton of course.

2 seasons average for a ski bum... yep, that was me once upon a time living above what is now Pomodoro. Happy days Smile I've learnt German since then, but even so I never use in in St Anton because everyone speaks English so well, I honestly speak more German when I visit Italy (not as strange as it sounds if you know the Dolomites).
latest report
2 seasons average eh, passed the 2 seasons mark a while back (as well as understanding and speaking German).

Pistes were in much better condition end of this season than last, and a greater snow depth. Shows with the Weisse Rausch, they started it lower down last season (started with the uphill run) due to lack of snow, where as this year it started from the usual spot.
ski holidays
first time in st anton this year and wasn't overly impressed. Ischgl imho is far better.
get the feeling there is a lack of spending on existing infrastructure.

zurs was great fun, lech a bit pedestrian and warth was good.

that said I don't do off piste so that may be a something I'm missing out on. Ischgl is just a better all round resort and the infrastructure is certainly invested in.
latest report
@mugen,
Quote:
get the feeling there is a lack of spending on existing infrastructure
What bothers you about the infrastrucure? St.Anton / the Arlberg spends an absolute fortune on new infrastructure btw.
ski holidays
st christoph chairlift looks like from a different age.
then there is the lech 2 person chair just across from car park.
again just my thoughts while I was there, not based on facts just my perception.
snow report
mugen wrote:
again just my thoughts while I was there, not based on facts just my perception.

St Christoph is a pretty standard 4 seater detachable quad. Are you sure you don't mean Stuben, the slow 2 seater? There's huge new lift going in to Stuben next season (and not everyone thinks that's good news).

The 2 seater in Lech from Schlosskopf is a bit of a bore, it's incredibly slow, but it really is only for the car park so I can see why they don't want to upgrade. I think they could and should upgrade the Zug lift though.
snow report
that 2 seater in lech is the first a day tripper will see of lech, first impressions??

like I say it was just the feeling I had of the place, nothing more. would I go back, probably not as the only trip of the year, but a 2nd or 3rd trip possibly.
snow conditions
Definitely NOT good news about Stuben!
ski holidays
Quote:

@mugen,

Quote:

get the feeling there is a lack of spending on existing infrastructure

What bothers you about the infrastrucure? St.Anton / the Arlberg spends an absolute fortune on new infrastructure btw.

Agreed, most spend on infrastructure of any ski area I've ever been to, work to do on Schindler, Albona and St Christoph for sure but the rest is awesome.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mugen wrote:
that 2 seater in lech is the first a day tripper will see of lech, first impressions??

Lech don't care about day tippers, they worry about filling their 5 * hotels with rich people. I'm not defending them, there are a a few lifts in Lech that need investment, but I wouldn't start with the Schlosskopf lift.
snow report
Steilhang wrote:

Sad

Not sure when it will open, but I think stanton said work will start this summer.
snow report
mugen wrote:

The chairlift you refer to in Lech is going to be replaced with a Gondola.
snow report
sah wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

Sad

Not sure when it will open, but I think stanton said work will start this summer.

Zurs this summer NOT Stuben.

Your still be using the Busses next winter & probably
the next one!
snow conditions
Lets get one thing straight.

Arlberg is not Ischgl & does not want to go that way!
ARLBERG prides itself on tradition & as an off piste paradise.

Long may it remain that way..

Amen
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
Lets get one thing straight.

Arlberg is not Ischgl & does not want to go that way!
ARLBERG prides itself on tradition & as an off piste paradise.

Long may it remain that way..

Amen

whats the percentage of off piste to only on. is that something they are aware of
snow conditions
@stanton, Laughing
ski holidays
@mugen, it's hard to say how much off piste there is, it depends on how much you are prepared to hike or traverse. Put it this way, in good conditions a lot of us will ski off piste 100% of the time, only using pistes to get to the off-piste, travel between lifts or get down at the end of the day. There is good on-piste skiing if you want it (I love skiing Fang when it's hard packed and not busy) but really the attraction of the area is off-piste. Like @stanton says it's not about competing with Ischgl or anywhere else, the Arlberg has it's own attractions.
snow report
sah wrote:
@mugen, it's hard to say how much off piste there is, it depends on how much you are prepared to hike or traverse. Put it this way, in good conditions a lot of us will ski off piste 100% of the time, only using pistes to get to the off-piste, travel between lifts or get down at the end of the day. There is good on-piste skiing if you want it (I love skiing Fang when it's hard packed and not busy) but really the attraction of the area is off-piste. Like @stanton says it's not about competing with Ischgl or anywhere else, the Arlberg has it's own attractions.

thank you for the considered response. as said I don't do off piste, not technically able and don't want to spend time learning the mountain safety aspects.
so probably a case of horses for courses, just wasn't overly impressed with the set up after reading for years how good it was.
again only my opinion.
ski holidays
mugen wrote:
sah wrote:

thank you for the considered response. as said I don't do off piste, not technically able and don't want to spend time learning the mountain safety aspects.
so probably a case of horses for courses, just wasn't overly impressed with the set up after reading for years how good it was.
again only my opinion.

For piste skiing I'd seriously recommend Radstadt/ Altenmarkt. The areas are small but the lift system & grooming is very impressive. Well worth a few days, maybe not a whole week. Nothing against Ischgl, in fact I'd like to go there again.
snow report
Tuesday 28th

Snowing higher up, more snow later in the week snow freeze level 2000M
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/1Gto_1RRgmw
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy