Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer in the Alps - when are the flowers at their best?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning a holiday with a friend - with the aim of doing lots of not-too-knackering walks. Either first half of June or end June - early July (because her dog-sitter can't do the second half of June).

It depends on the altitude, obviously, but I'd be interested to get views on when the meadows are at their best. The first flush of flowers, before the first hay cut is always the best, I reckon.

We will be walking mostly between 1300 - 2000m.

What do people think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pam w, I had a week near Annecy in, I think, the first week in June once. The meadow flowers were sensational. The only snag was that it rained non-stop for the whole week. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I did a summer season in Lech am Arlberg a few years ago. We arrived there mid June and there were plenty of flowers around, not just resort level (1400m) but higher up too so I'd guess you'd be fine with either date. The Winter leading up to that had been fairly similar to this one in terms of snow cover/disappearance at the end of season.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, actually any time during that window june-july but july is best for the flowers around us - july certainly best for vanilla orchids and common purple orchids, as well as rare things like giant gentians and flat ground thistles. The big burst of flowers can be very temperature dependent - this year looks warm so far.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've had summers in Wengen with alpine flowers around from June till Early August similar altitude (well a bit more at the upper end) Best time was probably June for the most flowers, but it does depend on when the snow melts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Years ago we watched the spring flowers coming out on the webcam at Montalbert. Really looking forward to get there for our summer holiday, The yellow swathe of the wild flowers was a sight to see.
When we got there we discovered the yellow was from the huge field of dandelions Toofy Grin
The bonus however, was walking through the forest glades and eating fresh Alpine strawberries Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Late Jun early July in Tignes at 2100m. Over buy August. Even spotted an eidelweiss (rare around these parts) in the Sassiere plateau - lots of points from Mrs CA senior!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went out out end of June (28th) and we did feel that we had missed the best of the meadows (1400m) though they were still pretty impressive, some say that end May is when you start to get the blankets of smaller flowers, and the meadows flower through June.

This year we're going out circa 8th June and coming back end of July as I didn't like cycling in August, just too busy on the classic cols.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

spotted an eidelweiss

well done; never seen one of those yet. Thanks folks, lots to think about. this time last year the hills were still covered in loads of snow but this year has certainly seen a much warmer spring. June was miserable last year - heavy low cloud, rain and snow patches everywhere (I wasn't there, judging just by webcams!). I think family reasons (likely need for child care end June/early July) might dictate the earlier dates. Oh for a crystal ball!

boredsurfin, the dandelions are really quite attractive! Was amused to find the French name is pissenlit - so maybe there's some truth in the old wive's tale. The locals dig up the roots/shoots of the very young plants to put in salads. I saw an elderly couple digging things up on a walk a few years ago and stopped to ask them what they were doing. Early June will be right for wild strawberries this year, I reckon, and I spotted some very promising banks in early April, with flowers in bloom.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I've seen loads of edelweiss on walking holidays in the Dolomites. They are outstandingly boring flowers, imho. wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Quote:

They are outstandingly boring flowers

Laughing Can't be as boring as that ghastly song, though. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, it's a close run thing!
Gentians are my favourites.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What a lovely thread ! Smile Climbing from 1,300 to 2,000 should span all of June and half of July I would have thought, although this warm year may bring things forward by a week or two. Our Wisteria is beginning flowering now and Peony about to pop, at 1,000m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

pretties
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lovely Very Happy
snow report
We did the TMB late June early July. The flowers were stunning.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 27-04-14 17:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
pam w wrote:
this time last year the hills were still covered in loads of snow but this year has certainly seen a much warmer spring. June was miserable last year - heavy low cloud, rain and snow patches everywhere (I wasn't there, judging just by webcams!). I think family reasons (likely need for child care end June/early July) might dictate the earlier dates. Oh for a crystal ball!

I don't remember it being particularly miserable. I have some fairly sunny photos from the first bit of the month, though it was definitely variable day to day (really warm and sunny and kids swimming in the lake at Flumet one day, snowing and making snowmen on the Col des Aravis the next during the late May half term week).

There's a sunny cycling photo from the Col de Saisies on the 27th of May on our Facebook page that shows there was still a lot of snow there, and the cows at the next door farm couldn't go to their summer home here until mid June, 3 weeks later than the year before. We had a big group in for a week from the 15th of June and it was HOT (not just warmer) for the duration of their stay… we were putting out extra tubs of suncream for everyone with breakfast and they ate outside every evening. Seem to remember it being much cooler and damp for a few days after they left and then it was largely a hot and sunny summer after that.

It has been a different story so far this year… the goats are out in our meadow already… I guess the best person to ask this question of is the local farmer, and when they are planning to move the cows this season!
snow report
shep, our peonies must be a little slower than yours.
ski holidays
Hey mate, like I told you before - when the flag drops, the bullsh*t stops Toofy Grin
latest report
Did a walk in Ischgl two days ago, too hot to ski on porridge! Saw some lovely gentians on the sunny side of the valley. I look forward to seeing your report to find out when the best time to go is Very Happy
latest report
Whats this then?

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 27-04-14 19:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
boredsurfin, I'm never sure with all these LBJs - there are lots of different gentians. Or maybe a campanula? I'm not too bothered about the names - just like looking at them!
snow report
and this?

Almost needless to say, taken with my phone, or snappy snaps camera Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 27-04-14 19:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
pam w, we always have 10 days in Arlberg end August and the flowers are always stunning, the meadows especially.......I particularly love the high Alpine flowers, esp Azaleas plus in towns/ villages the houses just look fantastic. Can't beat a Murmele (Marmot), a proper waterfall and a big cow with a bell either! Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w, I spoke to my friend today who does those "Rando-cueillette de plantes médicinales ou comestibles" mornings I mentioned to you last year. She reckoned the earlier slot should be good for flowers but the later slot would be better with more variety… she has grown up here and is obviously pretty knowledgeable about the local flora… but clearly there is no magic mountain crystal ball!
latest report
boredsurfin, First one's wood sorrel, usually comes in white, second one possibly alpine squill, not always easy to tell just from a photo. Dandelion is medicinally known as a diuretic and Pedantica, I agree about the edelweiss but until you've seen one it's a bit of a hyped up holy grail.
Shut me up I'm boring myself.
snow report
Forget flowers, what about the strawberries?! Last year in the chamonix valley at 1200m mid-late July had good flowers but more importantly exceptional wild strawberries (much more interesting than flowers Very Happy ). I'd estimate that this year it will be around 2 weeks earlier than last year due to a much warmer winter and spring. N facing vs s facing and elevation changes mean you can find good flowers at almost any time of spring/summer. Good strawberries on the other hand are much rarer!
snow report

snowdave, indeed, the strawberries are delicious, and available over quite a wide time period, depending on altitude and aspect. I have a good few spots mapped out, where there were flowers already, and many more on the way, around mid April. Ideally you need them on a sunny bank, so you don't need to crawl around on hands and knees to find them. I've picked loads and loads of raspberries over the years - but they're second half of August round my altitude.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmmm wild strawberries. Used to annoy a friend of mine on climbing trips to Cheedale by stopping all the time to munch on them when he wanted to get to the rock.
ski holidays
robapplegate, Not at all Very Happy
latest report
boredsurfin, Thank you, bit of a hobby of mine Very Happy
snow report
robapplegate, Looking for some more for you to identify Very Happy
snow report
boredsurfin, Oh god you're bound to catch me out. Someone may yet turn up and prove me wrong Laughing
snow conditions

another one for you, robapplegate. no chance of my proving you wrong - I look up these things then immediately forget them. And I would like to see an edelweiss.
ski holidays
pam w, Was it in the alps? Possibly Field Cow Wheat, rare in britain, we get the Crested Cow wheat, closely related to the Eyebright, probably one of the prettiest flowers.
Yes, everyone should see an edelweiss.
Good luck, you'll probably trip over one when you least expect it then go on to see hundreds for the rest of the day.
snow conditions
This was mid May (to continue the Gentians) and there were loads of types of flowers. Then the next time we went in late June and it was even better (photos to follow when I have put them in the Media Zone) . We tried counting types of flower on one walk and gave up after we got to 50.

snow conditions
In the Dolomites, late June, the mountain tops were still snow covered and we had to walk down quite a long way from the top of the cable car to the snow line where the flowers started

Further down the meadows were rich

Approaching Arabba (no flowers on the pistes - too recently under packed snow)

Even by the roadside the flowers were profuse, driving up out of Arabba towards Passo Pordoi

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 28-04-14 13:48; edited 4 times in total
snow report
It's all pretty and green here (west austria) sub 1200m at the moment, give it another month and I'm sure it'll be ready for your wanderings...
snow report
I think I know this one - It's a daisy
Very Happy
snow conditions
This is also Daisy - Looking at a Thistle Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy