Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For us people with small feet, I think part of the problem is that there aren't that many of us so shops don't get much stock in because we are a minority. The other problem is when you are a good skier needing a stiffer boot in a small size...becomes an even bigger problem finding a boot.

I think for some shops, yes they can order a boot in assuming it is in stock with the importer or manufacturer. The trouble is that many importers do not carry much spare stock, it doesn't make much financial sense to do so, and therefore they only tend to order what the shops have ordered. I think Salomon UK carry a bit more spare stock for example, but AMG Outdoor who import Rossi don't.

Although importers will order a boot from a manufacturer if there are any left, nobody wants left with lots of spare boots in a shop if they've been a special order for say half a dozen people over the season and then they haven't gone and bought them. Plus somebody has had to absorb all the courier charges.

One of my friends is also an instructor with very small feet and is a superb skier. She is quite happy in junior race boots. She is a lot shorter than me which I think makes the difference. I'm taller and find junior boots just too short.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowaddict,

salomon hold very little if any stock in the UK it is all shipped directly from France, Atomic ship all in direct from Austria, Rossigol [AMG] hold a small amount, Head have a warehouse in the UK and can get from Austria etc etc, direct import is becoming more common and the courier costs are justifiable instead of paying for warehouse space

it all comes down to demand, there are plenty people with small feet, just a lot of shops fit them in big boots and brush over the situation, it is the same the world over, but as people become more educated about boots and fitting they will not accept oversize as an option. there are many shops who do not start mens boots till size 27.5 as they don't see the need....when i worked at Lockwoods we carried boots down to 24.5 [5.5uk] for men [they still do] and i have even mangaed to get the local shop to stock a few boots in these sizes...problem is i have sold them all now Toofy Grin great for the stock but no good for anyone who comes in late
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shona and Catorina are top lasses and know their stuff - both been in the game (boot fitting that is Shocked )longer that some of the world champs on this site.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tailskidder, Not to take anything from the two girls in question, but i belive that 10 years at MacDonalds, does not a Chef make. You follow? Toofy Grin
And no i'm not suggesting either of them work at MacDonalds or indeed have ever worn clown shoes. I have a young lad working for us, that after two years has a greater understanding of feet, skiing and plastics than many of the "WORLD CHAMPS" on this site. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER,

I was supporting a post made previously - who would you suggest in Scotland?

Mac Donalds: You may not be suggesting that, but by the fact that you mention it in your post you 'have grouped them together by association' which is rude.

My reference to the World Champs is based on a number of posts that I have read on this site.

Experience does count.

Most 'World Champs have footbeds in a box in François office wink don't they?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
tailskidder, My referance to MacDonalds was one i used when i guy came and looked for a job and told me he's worked at a ski shop for 10 years and therefore knew all about ski boots. He told me there were 68 bones in each foot! Yes experience does count, but apptitude and an open mind IMO count as equal. I know both Shona and Catorina and would never which to slight them or their work. My statement was a reference to the fact that working for many years in any ski shop doesn't always mean you'll find a good technician. Not that the fore mentioned fitters are not good ones.

Who would i recommend in Scotland, well i only know the two girls mentioned, i haven't been around the UK biz for 7 years, so couldn't tell you. I only hear about the bad ones as their clients pass though our shop. Personally, i believe that you need to have worked in resort for sometime to fine tune your skills, but that said, just because you have worked in resort, doesn't mean you are a good fitter. I just want to avoid confusion and not let sweeping statements misguide people.

No offence meant.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, I bought me new boots today - Hooray! I went in to Blues in rose street (saw Catriona this time SMALLZOOKEEPER, she says you are a top bloke too) It was qiuet, so I had 3 sales assistants pandering to my every whim. I told them that I probably would not buy anything today because I was going to shop around, but they were still quite happy to spend plenty of time with me.

After much discussion and measuring, they picked one pair of boots for me - Nordica Olympia SM8 - in a size 23.5. I immediately got suspicious cos I thight they's be too big, but tried them on anyway. And they fitted nice and snug - certainly no room for cat-swinging. The problem apparently with my old boots is that they are far too wide for me and don't hold my heel properly.

Anyhoo, I still wan't happy about buying boots after trying on one pair. So I made them let me try on every other boot they had, including the junior ones. It quickly became clear the the Nordica ones were perfect for me. (yeah, I know, typical woman - look at everything in the shop then buy the first one you looked at)

I was so impressed with the staff's skill and knowledge, that I bought the boots, a helmet and new goggles too. Couple with theuir money back guarantee if I am not 100% happy with the boots for any reason.

Going to try them all out at Glenshee tomorrow - woo hoo snowHead

Thank you everyone for all your help on this one.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good show! Nothing like getting new gear.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

He told me there were 68 bones in each foot!

That's about right – especially if you can re-position the second buckle closer to the clogs lateral beam, then use a boot-press to close it
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tailskidder, I think he'd only worked with the under twos.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
tailskidder, I think he'd only worked with the under twos.

if he had done some qualifications would he then be a pediatric podiatrist or a podiatric pediatrition rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
well - sheepmadang, how did they go Greasy Spoon, Mac Donalds, Beefeater, Les Routiers or The Ivy?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey tailskidder, don't knock greasy spoons - they make the best mugs of tea! Laughing

Anyhoo back to the boots. Back in the olden days (i.e last year), I used to fall over ALOT. Especially when trying to do jumpy turrny hops over wee moguls, which really jarred my knees. Yesterday, the only time I fell over was standing at the top of the Bunny Run trying to take a photo! And jumping around didn't hurt my knees at all - the boots seemed to do all the work for me.

At the start of the day, I found it really difficult to cut out the old bad habits brought on by badly fitting boots. Then when I got my head round the fact that I could trust the boots to do what I wanted, my technique suddenly came right and there was no stopping me. The button tows and T bars were much easier too - I didn't fall off any of them. That's a first! I just felt more relaxed and confident altogether. And of Course I went much faster too.

The lining is lovely cosy furry stuff, which kept my teeny toes nice and toasty.

I can't stop saying this, but I was astounded by the Blues guys' ability to just choose the correct boot for me before I had tried any of them on!

Can't wait to get onto some big moguls at Portes Du Soleil in March. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sheepmadang,
Quote:

I can't stop saying this, but I was astounded by the Blues guys' ability to just choose the correct boot for me before I had tried any of them on!

Good for you - and good for Blues.

Good snow for Scotland too I hear - what was Glenshee like? I still have family in Aviemore - learn't to ski and did all my basi exams there. Still can't beat a good set of bumps down the White Lady. Too old now just ski off piste now as is better on my knees.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fabulous day at Glenshee, tailskidder, . Great snow, blue skies and sunshine, not a breath of wind. Had a good full day of skiing, even after dark as they put floodlights on the Claybokie Poma run.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy