Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots - Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to those who've read this post on another thread ....

Does anyone know of decent bootfitters in scotland? anyone had any experience of blues in the Edinburgh Tiso? I'd love to get a new pair of properly fitted boots but I really can't legislate for flying down to London for profeet or going to the other place (leamington spa? Lockwoods?) ..... particularly as you guys are backing up my feeling that you need to be able to go back for further modifications!

I've been in Blues in Edinburgh and they seem fairly thorough ..... but are they good enough? do they have a wide enough range or will they just try to squeeze me into the closest they have?

Cheers
adam
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's ok - I'll just talk to myself here! snowHead

I went into Blues in Edinburgh's Tiso today and had a good chat - actually seems like a very thorough set-up with regards to boot fitting. The only concern I could have is simply whether they have an extensive enough range of boots - but this was discussed and they made it clear to me that they won't try to sell something that isn't fitting really well. They were doing a custom footbed fitting when I went in and they certainly seemed to know what they were up to.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Adamski, I'll talk to you, but I don't know the answer.
Is it Volkl Karmas? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adamski,
Years ago Blues in Edinburh had a great reputation, I had some boots that I bought in Glasgow which they sorted, but I don't know what they are like now I'm afraid.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd like to second what Wear The Fox Hat said. Volkl Karmas.

You should be quite happy with the shell before they start any major fitting action, so just see what's what at the early stages of the fitting. If you don't like the boots get them to stop... no pressure from bootfitters... Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor, have your Karmas exploded yet, or do you take them to your trusted shop assistant to get them changed every few weeks?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing to get Karma to explode you'll need TNT Laughing

I did de-lam one of the toughest skis ever made (Explosives) though...

edit: missed a Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, what nonsense are you spouting now!? you've lost me .....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adamski, just a little joke about someone on here who has been suggesting the Volkl Karma is suitable for any skier/any ability...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, sorry mate - now that I'm not working any more I don't have time to sit around all day on here keeping up to speed with every conversation!! Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Adamski, Have you bought your boots yet? I need to buy new boots and am in two minds about whether to go to Blues or Ellis brigham. Would love to hear how you got on. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sheepmadang, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

I hope he got sorted as he started looking two years ago wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh hahahahhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa. that's why I'm not allowed out by myself rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I buy my boots from Blues in the Tiso shop on Rose Street, Edinburgh.

Really good service by fitters who are well trained. There is really good staff retention there which is another good sign. They also give you a free pass for Hillend dry ski slope so you can test them out.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Adamski, Blues in Glasgow is good-but if you are there make sure you get the old guy with the grey hair the others are useless-or just go to edin if The_Hirsty, says they are good.
ski holidays
Rossfra8, I took both my sons to Blues in Glasgow, one of them was fitted by a middle aged lady who looked a real outdoorsy mountain woman type. I thought she was really good. The other boy got a young chap who was nice but just didn't seem as knowledgable or thorough. Haven't had any problems with either pair of boots.
ski holidays
i got my boots last year at Ellis Brigham at Xscape in Glasgow. Was fitted by two different people. First time i went in and tried on a few boots and narrowed it down to two. Made an appointment to go back in the following week and get footbeds fitted and buy the boots. Had to go back and see the original guy again as the 2nd guy hadn't fitted my footbeds properly and i had no support around the heel.

Overall a good experience, but i suspect (as with many things), it can depend on who you get.

The boots have been fine since with about 3 weeks of skiing.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll try Blues in Edinburgh first and see how it goes. Will keep you posted!
ski holidays
I will never use Blues in Rose street again after a few very bad experiences - they miss-sold my my very first pair of boots (too big!), can be very unhelpful (depending on which of the staff you get - some of the guys who've been there longer are better and know their stuff, but the seasonal staff can have a tendency to talk down to you and usually more interested in talking to female customers IME), and the final straw was when they suggested to try some boots for size at the competition in Nevisport in Rose street because they were unwilling to order them in for a proper fitting.

I proceeded to get my Salomon Falcons at Nevis Sport, which was a reasonably good experience (not sure what they're like this year). I know some of the guys at Ellis-Brigham at xscape know their stuff too - a friend of mine had his boots fitted there and I was impressed with the time taken for a proper foot examination, shell fitting etc

As with most of these scenarios, it pays to do some research before going in and make sure you get a proper shell fitting etc.
snow report
 brian
brian
I got boots fitted by a lady called Catriona (recommended by CEM) at Blues in Rose St and she/they were/are fine. I'd ask for her by name and try to go midweek when it'll be quieter.
ski holidays
Eek. I think I will be very wary, Skibomb. I'll go to Blues at some point tomorrow and just ask some questions - see what their whole process is. I have been advised that it should take no less than 1.5 hours to get the correct boot fitting. I might venture over to the west and visit Ellis Brigham to compare. But if CEM reccomends Catriona, i will make sure I see her Brian.

I bought my current boots at the Colorado Ski Warehouse 7 years ago. I got virtually no advice or help form the sales guy, no fitting, no nothing. I can't believe how clueless I was! I bought moulded footbeds in france a few years later date and what a difference!!!

I hopefully know what I'm looking for a bit better this time.

thanks for all the input.
ski holidays
sheepmadang, Aggghhh, Catriona! Please say hello from me, Steve, then at Lockwoods now at Footworks. She's a top lass.
snow conditions
Footworks at Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, are very good, see Graham and he will look after you very well, partic. mid-week when it may be not as busy.

I have used them, as have many friend. He takes as long as it takes to get the right boot to suit you and what you require them for; and will get them fitting as you would like them. All in worth a try.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 8-01-08 13:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
cforcat, Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
cforcat, Evil or Very Mad
Quote:

cforcat

why the Evil or Very Mad ??????? Can or do you dare expand?
snow report
cforcat, They stole the name of our business, claiming they'd never heard of us, despite us having very close mutual collegues.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
cforcat, They stole the name of our business, claiming they'd never heard of us, despite us having very close mutual collegues.
Cheers for clearing that up. Nowt to do with their ability to fit boots tho'.

I dare say you being based in Chamonix, and them in Edinburgh shouldn't affect business too much, should it? Puzzled

While you are on are Therm-ic Boot heaters any good? My wife was asking (pre-wired Atomics), cheers. Little Angel
snow report
cforcat, None the less they have profited from the hard work of the people who have put hours of their time into creating a brand. Evil or Very Mad
Thermic is a good product.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Graeme at Footworks does know his stuff, but due to their limited available range, he's been known to try to sell a boot that they have available rather than one that might actually be the best fit, which is something to keep in mind. For post-sales customer fitting I'd have no problem recommending him - just go when it's likely to be quiet...
ski holidays
Ok, i had a chat with the guys in Blues, Edinburgh. Catriona was not in today so did not see her.

I seem to have abnormally small feet, or perhaps I am just abnormally small allover?? I just went in for quick chat at lunch time, so have not tried any boots on yet. I take a UK size 3 shoe. My current boots are a size 23 and I feel I have too much foot movement in them. They suggested I might need to get childrens boots, and go for ones with a realy stiff flex rating, as the smallest adult boot they have is 23.5

Does that sound feasible? Will a child's boot give the same performance? Should I get a second opinion, or find a shop with smaller adult sizes? Mind you, I am Shorty McShort at 5 foot nothing, and most 10 year olds are taller than me.
ski holidays
That is tiny. I am not sure if they make adult boots in that size.

Junior race boots are made to a high spec so should be good for you.

On the other hand a second opinion never hurts.
snow conditions
That is tiny. I am not sure if they make adult boots in that size.

Junior race boots are made to a high spec so should be good for you.

On the other hand a second opinion never hurts.
ski holidays
The_Hirsty wrote:
a second opinion never hurts.

So you've given one Laughing .
snow report
Laughing NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
cforcat, when i was buying boots last year i went in there and he tried to sell me a pair of atomic race boots because they were the last pair of boots they had left in my size. Never even fitted my out for them, just said they'd be ideal for someone of my height and weight...

never been back in since.
ski holidays
adult boots are available from most companies down to 22.0/5 and Lange make down to a 21.0 shell, be wary that some of the 22.0 /5 out there have the shell from a 23 and either a plastic bumper in the front of the shell or a thick rubber bit in the liner to make then feel shorter. some of the junior race boots are sutiable for lighter weight adults but it comes down to foot shape and the level of the skier as to whether or not they are suitable
ski holidays
The only people I trust with my problem feet are Shona in the Glasgow branch of Blues and Ali who is mainly based in the Edinburgh branch but also pops through to Glasgow at times.

I have used them for years. I teach all year round, have flat feet, bone spurs and only measure a 23.5 so I'm small too!

I have also in the past experienced Graeme in Bruntsfield both in terms of boot fitting and skis. He didn't know about my background in the ski industry which is pretty substantial, in fact he never really asked. I have also been for some running shoes there too. I would agree that he does have a good knowledge but sadly lets himself down on going for a pure sale when the product at times isn't right for the individual.
latest report
May i point out to anyone reading this thread. 'Foot Works' Chamonix has absolutely no connection with those based outside the resort. Foot Works Chamonix is an independant shop, specializing in Ski and Footwear fitting since 1992. Foot Works Chamonix has no other shops and is not connected to any other ski shop worldwide. Our people are our business.
ski holidays
snowaddict, shoogly, I'm glad - well not really glad - to see that your experiences confirm that I wasn't mistaken in my comments above. He tried to squeeze my feet in some very narrow Langes because they happened to be the only lower volume boot in my size they had. It would've been agony if i'd bought those (at £200+!).

sheepmadang, As CEM says, most boots are available in 22/22.5 shell sizes, but shops might not stock them. Personally, I find the response 'get stiff kids boots' unsatisfactory if it's purely based on the fact that they don't stock the adult boots in small sizes, which sounds like it might be the case here. But I don't know what other shops' policies is on ordering in boot/sizes for customers and whether this is considered unusual. Any fitters care to comment on whether this would be considered normal practice. Personally, I would think it normal customer service to get the right boot in the right size!
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, At the start of last season I phoned them up to ask if he could mount up a pair of Solly Z12s. He'd never heard of them. So it seems we have a Footworks that has never heard of them and one that doesn't want to sell them wink Cool snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy