Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Buying advice for the Hay-wire Skier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I registered for this forum specifically to get advice from a variety of skiers on the type of skis to consider for my next purchase. Here's a little background: I grew up in the Canadian Rockies, didn't start skiing until my mid-teens, never spent more than 30 days on the snow in a year. I took to touring to chase the pow, my current skis are Salomon Rocker2 108 with Dynafit Radical TLT bindings and Garmont Axon boots.

Current age: 25
Height: 5'11"
Weight 150lbs

I'm the kind of skier that makes ski instructors cringe. I ski most any terrain, fast and loose, with poor technique, generally muscling my way through. I get down fast, but I doubt it ever looks good.

I need recommendations for skis and boots that will allow me to learn to carve properly on piste, but ideally I would like a single ski for the resort all winter. Any suggestions? Don't hesitate to tell me I need multiple pairs of skis!

Thanks for your help!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rubesteak, perhaps not the answer you were hoping for....but neither skis nor boots will allow you to learn to carve properly on piste. That comes with technique and lessons.

However the Salomon at 111mm underfoot isn't going to help!! Something with a mid 70mm underfoot will make learning to carve easier and still be usable in the offpiste...then keep the Rocker2 for the deep days!

Can you get to any demo days and try skis out??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd go as far as a mid-80 underfoot for an all rounder. I'm on the Movement Jam which are 87 under foot and they carve very well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rubesteak, Dynastar Outland Pro, 80 underfoot, great on piste and good in powder too, large shovel with rocker makes is good in the soft stuff, my previous ski was 70 no rocker, I can certainly tell the difference. Have a look at the fallline review, they put it much better than me.

I bought mine 12/13 have skied slush,ice, powder, love'm

If you want to test them ellis Brigham in Milton Keynes had some a while back

Edit: bought them from the Piste Office Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rubesteak, you still live in Canada?

Get something big and fat (over 120mm) and use it to ski powder in the resort. When there's no powder in the resort, screw it, go tour for powder int he BC.

Problem solved, you'll never come across any icy piste you need to carve wink

More seriously, if you really want to learn to carve, something around 80mm underfoot will make it much easier (though lessons are more important). However there is no way you will be satisfied with that sort of ski offpiste and in pow. So if you're set on a one ski quiver for the resort you'll have to decide which end of the spectrum you want to compromise most.

Best option is probably just to buy two second-hand pairs; the Gear Swap section on TGR forums may be more useful than here if you're still on the other side of the Pond.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy