Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

season skiing in NZ / Australia

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I'm new here (and skiing) and would appreciate some advice..

I had my first ski experience earlier this year in Korea and I'm loving it. I would like to try out spending the whole winter season at the slopes making full use of the season pass, but I'm wondering if it is normal or am I pushing it?

I have found a little nice bar which has accommodation on top ($30/night), so it makes it convenient for food but there is no kitchen which I think is quite a bad idea for 3 months.

So for people who have done a full season of skiing, how do you do it? What kind of accommodation or transport do you use? How much did you spend for the whole season? I'm trying to keep the budget low so on-mountain accommodation is out. Well unless we have a whole group of people bunking in together, which leads to my next question...

Is there any group that is heading out for the whole season? Or anyone wanna join me at NZ/Australia this coming June-Sept? I'm from Singapore in my late twenties, and a total beginner who really wanna spend some time to conquer the slopes!

Regards,
An extremely enthusiastic noob skier.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hello, welcome to snowHeads!
I'm actually heading out to Queenstown, NZ at the end of May for the season! I'm staying in a hostel for the first 5 weeks or so, then hoping that I can find a place to live with people. I've applied to work as a liftie at The Remarkables so I'm hoping there will be other people in the same boat as me.
Most of the hostels, in a 4 or 6 bed dorm are around $16 per night.

I've got flights to Christchurch booked, I'm staying in Christchurch for a couple of nights then getting the coach down to Queenstown with my friend. Flights were about £800 when we booked in January, and the coach to Queenstown is about $70 from what i can remember.

It will be hard to get a cheap lift pass now as the early bird deal has expired, but even so I didn't think they were that expensive. I got a combined one for Coronet Peak and The Remarkables, which offers night skiing at Coronet Peak too.
Unless you get a car (I can't afford that) you have to get a shuttle bus to the mountain, which is an $18 return per person, or you can get a Multiride 5 Return for $72, or Multiride 10 Return for $132. I also read that it is possible to sometimes hitchhike.

Hope that helps!
Lewis
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Lewis,

Yes in fact I have been researching on Queenstown, even without the early bird discount for season pass I still find it reasonably cheap (compared to daily pass). How long are you planning to stay in Queenstown?

I have been debating with myself on whether to rent a vehicle or not. Shuttle bus seems like a great idea because I will get to rest for the whole trip, but I'm wondering how much inconvenience would there be without a transport to drive around the city? The reason why I'm more inclined to get rental vehicle is because I will be able to meet more people that way, by giving them a ride up and hopefully save on some gas money.

I'm also quite curious on working in a ski resort. I heard they get a free season pass, but the pay barely covers the food and accommodation. Well that's fine by me, but how much time do you have left to ski if you were to work??

Thanks for the welcome!
Kal
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm staying there from 30th May until around the start of October, depending when the season finishes.
I don't think Queenstown is actually that big, all the hostels are within walking distance from the centre of town, so having a car doesn't really bother me. It's also a lot more expensive, too much for me! I like the idea of it though.

If I get this job I will be working 3 or more days a week, so more in peak times but less when it's quiet. I've also heard lifties can get ride breaks which would be awesome. I would receive quite a few bonuses too, like free lift pass, free travel, discounted food and drinks, discounted rentals and repairs, discounts in shops etc etc as well as training. NZSki company recommend having $2000 to set yourself up at the start of the season, but I imagine it would be different if you worked in a bar or something.

Might be worth checking their employment page at www.nzski.com as I have a feeling applications are closing very soon, or have already closed.

Lewis
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want flights then have a look on hotukdeals: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/cheap-etihad-flights-new-zealand-australia-from-506-departing-from-manchester-545-1850295

I managed to get 2 return flights to Auckland for £533 each! It takes a bit of playing with the dates but hopefully they're still on the system somewhere. I'm going to be in NZ from the end of August until December, so will hopefully fit in some skiing at some point.

Good luck!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Capt,

May I know how are you planning on your accommodation & transport and stuffs? I'm working out to a total of about 4k per month for expenses (accommodation, transport, gas, meals, occassional night activities if there is any budget left at all). Is that normal?

Regards,
Kal
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds like a lot to me...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kaldori, why not come to Europe Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would it be cheaper in Europe? I have not done any research on there at all Confused

I've found a cheap and good long term accommodation and decided to depend on public transportation so this will cost me around 3k/month. I'm currently looking at the ski equipment and it's crazily expensive, and a full day 6 hours private instructor cost NZD510, is this normal!? I guess I'm stuck with group lessons.

I've got a few friends who went Europe and I don't remember them talking about such high expenses.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For accommodation and transport I will be spending less than $1.5k per month, and will be eating pasta every night and boring sandwiches everyday.
I have all my own equipment and don't need lessons, plus I will be working.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy