Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

110 mm skis: looking for all-around playful charger (oxymoron?)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there! My first post on Sh, so pls don't bash me too hard.

Me: male, 80++ kg/185 cm, level 8/10, looking for a ~110 mm do-it-all tool. My dream ski would be good for carving varied radia turns on hardpack, float reasonably well in 30 inches of fresh and cut through crud and re-frozen pow (with some input from the driver).

Based on local season end offer, I am considering the following 2014 m/y skis:

Line Sick Day 110 @ 186 (which is more 182 cm straight tape pull): been on them, loved them, but not sure about their crud performance
Scott Punisher @189: not skied, excellent reviews
Moment Deathwish @184: not skied
Rossi Soul 7 @ 188: not skied, people say that they are not that good on groomers.

As of the moment I am leaning more towards the Sick Days and the Punisher. Some feedback and advice would be helpful.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-04-14 6:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just in case you haven't seen this review
http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2013-2014-line-sick-day
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DB - Blister did an excellent review of Sick Days.
I have been through all of Blister, Epicski, SH, TGR and Exotic Skis looking for answers.
Just curious if there is someone out there who skied SDs and Punishers back to back to make a comparison.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forked over folding for these and love them in all but talcum powder . . . that's what the board is for Toofy Grin Hold a lovely edge on spring morning ice too.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2013-2014-volkl-mantra
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I find 110mm a bit short....

level 8/10

Then you should be able to ski anything on a 165cm long slalom ski with a 67mm waist.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque wrote:
Forked over folding for these and love them in all but talcum powder . . . that's what the board is for Toofy Grin Hold a lovely edge on spring morning ice too.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2013-2014-volkl-mantra

I trust you in that the Mantras are an excellent AM tool. My most recent experience with a 98 mm ski (Kastle BMX98) was not at all positive. Too unresponsive, and too much tip dive. Never been on Mantras, but judging by their specs they are quite similar to Kastles (24 m radius and as stiff as Bonafides).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What about the Line Sir Franics Bacon? I've skied mine all season an they're nothing short of amazing. 114 I think they are
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
timlongs wrote:
What about the Line Sir Franics Bacon? I've skied mine all season an they're nothing short of amazing. 114 I think they are

The SFBs are 108 mm, they do belong in the conversation. The only problem with them is: sold out.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ov8chkin wrote:
timlongs wrote:

The SFBs are 108 mm, they do belong in the conversation. The only problem with them is: sold out.

My local shop in Bourg Saint Maurice has a few pairs left!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ov8chkin, Yep the Mantras are stiff but I'm heavy. They have a very progressive flex under foot and the tips when pushed don't collapse. Quite nice tail spring too, easy to recover from getting knocked into the back seat.

PS. The new Icelandic Nomads are noodles compared to my old scaffold boards.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
110 Playful charger = BD Zealot / Blizzard Cochise / Down 3 / Volkl Katana (maybe)

I'm not sure I would ever put the SFB in the charger class...

my recommendation (after wasting lots of money on skis I hated) is go stiff but with full reverse camber or a fair bit of tail rocker
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Friend of mine has the Blizzard Cochise. On the piste he found them very hard work, and certainly not playful. In the soft stuff, however, they were great
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My idea of a playful charger is damp and stable but able to pivot on a dime when you want it to (hence the rocker)... otherwise it's just a charger OR playful..

actually just reading the opening post I dont think any of those are chargers at all (maybe the moment never looked at that) so I have misunderstood the question and will shut up now!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dulcamara wrote:
actually just reading the opening post I dont think any of those are chargers at all (maybe the moment never looked at that) so I have misunderstood the question and will shut up now!

There is always a compromise. You may be right in saying that the Rossi and SD110 are not "chargers", but Cochise and Katana are the other extreme (IMO, never skied them). I am looking for a perfect well-balanced ski - which btw may not exist.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ov8chkin, You are literally describing the old 190 Moment Bibby Pro. I can't comment on the new Bibby or the Deathwish, but if you can get your hands on the old version you will be 100% stoked.

Alternatively, the Down Skis CD3 (as mentioned) http://www.downskis.com/skis/countdown-3 was designed specifically as a 'playful charger.' I haven't skied it, but as in many ways it's pretty similar to the 4FRNT EHPs (which I own) it may not carve as well as you want on piste (the price you pay for a super long turn radius, but that has many advantages off the groomers), but should certainly live up to your expectations elsewhere.

I would also throw the Down CD7 into the mix, 110mm underfoot, 188 long. Carves well, skis pow very well, handles high speeds just fine. Has enough forgiveness in the flex to wee wee around, but stout enough to point it too. My pair had a dodgy base (Down warrantied them no questions though), but I still had a lot of fun with them. As they#re pretty light they're not the best all out crud busters, but that's what you get when you want a playful ski. Other than the Bibby, that's what I'd choose in your position.

BTW, Down will have a big pre-season sale August-September time, usually not much more than €300 a pair.
ski holidays
Rossignol Soul 7 - just awesome
snow conditions
clarky999, thanks for the hint. Never heard of Down Skis before.
snow conditions
Ov8chkin, great skis IMO, made in the same factory as Whitedot (which are v popular on Snowheads). I swapped my 7s for the CD1s which have been great whenever it snowed this season! I'm becoming a bit of a fanboi, but I think a few other Snowheads have skied them too, so maybe they'll chime in soon...
ski holidays
Volkl One? They're also on sale at Sport Conrad. I haven't personally skied them but I have the Shiros which are similar.They're rock solid and great for landing drops etc. The Ones are meant to be similar but have tapered tips + tails so more playful. They still charge well according to Blister.

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2013-2014-volkl-one

Edit: had another re read as I'm desperate to get them myself. Forgot that they weren't meant to be very responsive when carving. That said I don't find it a problem on the Shiros you just have to get used to it.
ski holidays
I've been using Volk Gotamas for the last year, 107mm underfoot, 187cm long (I think), I'm a slim 90kg. I'd rate these very highly as a great all mountain ski, very versatile, from hard packed piste, bumps, powder, crust, trees, spring slush. Really are a great piste ski, very stable at speed, fun to carve on. Done some powder (30cms) this season (not a great pow season), again awesome platform to be on, certainly enough float to open up and slash about a bit. At first I had some well used Fritschi Freeride Plus bindings mounted but felt laterally sloppy, so got some Fritschi Freeride Pros, much better, wider footprint for wider skis plus new.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2013-volkl-gotama-ski-quiver-unofficial-gear-review-81655/
snow report
Lhasa Pows?

I've used a pair for the last few trips.

I think they're good for everything: other than really hard snow.
snow report
Our Ragnarok has been totally reworked for 2015 as a "Fun Charger" http://issuu.com/whitedotskis/docs/whitedotskis_book_2014-15-issuu
snow report
Dot., Nice brochure mate snowHead Cool
snow conditions
Mosha Marc wrote:
Dot., Nice brochure mate snowHead Cool
personally I don't like the PDF type viewing experience, even on a 24" monitor I find it hard to read the text without zooming in and then having to scroll around and sequentially flick through pages. A decent HTML & CSS web layout is far better. Hold on there is one, why not post a link to that. not that I could see a link from the issuu.com to the actual white dot website. Anyway I'm sure they're great skis.
snow report
waynos, the 2015 skis aren't on the website but I appreciate your feedback.
ski holidays
Dot. wrote:
waynos, the 2015 skis aren't on the website but I appreciate your feedback.

Dot., I actually have a specific question re. WD 2014-15 range.
The new Director - how does it ski? Like a mini-Gotama?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 24-04-14 20:02; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
Lhasa Pows?

I've used a pair for the last few trips.

I think they're good for everything: other than really hard snow.

You using them on piste with the kids Marc???
snow report
kitenski, The kids are into the mellow piste side stuff now; bumps, variable and a bit of deeper stuff. With them I take the Lhasas.

But the Mrs is a different story; last week it was strictly on piste and Movement Le Fers - although the skis were fine when the off piste melted enough to have a crack at some spring conditions.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The new Director - how does it ski? Like a mini-Gotama?

Maybe I can help as I've been on them for going on a season and a half? Unfortunately I've never skied the Gotama, but like everyone I hear good things about them. The Director is poppy when worked, damp and easy when skiing relaxed and goes anywhere on the mountain from park to pow to piste. It's 107mm so is fairly wide but does a good job and is my go to choice of ski when the new Ragnarok is too wide for the conditions.
snow report
[quote="the_doc"]
Quote:

Maybe I can help as I've been on them for going on a season and a half? Unfortunately I've never skied the Gotama, but like everyone I hear good things about them. The Director is poppy when worked, damp and easy when skiing relaxed and goes anywhere on the mountain from park to pow to piste. It's 107mm so is fairly wide but does a good job and is my go to choice of ski when the new Ragnarok is too wide for the conditions.

the_doc, were you on gen 1 or gen 2 Directors? I heard that the gen 2 Directors (2014/15) have longer effective edge and less taper, which make them a better fit for my needs.
snow report
Since we're now talking about other skis than the OP mentioned, I'll throw in a shout for the Whitedot Ranger Carbonlite, which I tried out for a day at the EOSB a couple of days ago (admin - thanks for lending them to me). 186 cm / 108mm.

I was struggling for a description of them but "playful charger" may just be it. They certainly charged when I went for it (I'm no racer or pro freerider but I like opening up my turns), and I was very confident going fast in variable snow, but they also felt very easy to turn and pivot, despite the flat / square tail. Maybe this is due to the near-flat camber.

They worked so well that they gave me a big dilemma - I was going to get a DPS Wailer 99 for my pure touring ski, and now I'm leaning towards the Rangers.

(while they're easy to ski on piste, I'm not sure I'd call them the best tool for carving different radius turns. But that's not my intended use for them).
snow report
Quote:

the_doc, were you on gen 1 or gen 2 Directors? I heard that the gen 2 Directors (2014/15) have longer effective edge and less taper, which make them a better fit for my needs.

Gen2's in both 181cm and 191cm versions in both our new CL3 and Trad constructions; it was a fun season snowHead
They have a lot less taper and more edge than the originals as well as a new flex pattern, a more centred recommended mount and slightly higher tip and tail. Check out the Issuu document as there is a little article we wrote on "generation developments" to outline the changes Smile
snow conditions
[quote="the_doc"]
Quote:

Gen2's in both 181cm and 191cm versions in both our new CL3 and Trad constructions; it was a fun season snowHead
They have a lot less taper and more edge than the originals as well as a new flex pattern, a more centred recommended mount and slightly higher tip and tail. Check out the Issuu document as there is a little article we wrote on "generation developments" to outline the changes Smile

Thank you WhiteDot insiders.

Would it be correct to say that either Ranger or g2 Director could be a good complementary off-piste "charger" ski to a softer, "turnier" ski like, e.g., Sick Days?
snow report
horizon, the real 'charger' out of the Ranger line up is the 195Pro, maybe too big a ski for some though.

Glad you enjoyed the 186, does this mean Jon's order book is filling up?

Shame i couldn't bring a Gen2 Ragnarok for you all to use at TEoSB, as the_doc says it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately all the samples we made got snapped up by our pros.
snow conditions
Ov8chkin, I'll let the_doc field that question as he has a greater knowledge of other manufacturers skis. He's also spent more time on the Director Gen2 than I have, I might have the edge on Ranger time though.
ski holidays
Quote:

Would it be correct to say that either Ranger or g2 Director could be a good complementary off-piste "charger" ski to a softer, "turnier" ski like, e.g., Sick Days?

hmm, I would say the Director would be that "turnier" ski to be honest, the 191cm has a 25m radius and twin rocker so is very easy in the trees (see the start of the clip below for an example of that), and there's a bit of quiver overlap with waist width as well? I would look at the new Ragnarok for the "fun charger" in your quiver, its a completely different beast for next season and as you can see from the vid I ski it a lot!

From our range the "110mm do everthing" ski would be Preacher/Ranger/Director options depending on your style and preferred terrain, as they are all pretty versatile options.

The Year Of The Shark! from paul jamieson
https://vimeo.com/90686552
snow report
I may have said this before but if you can carve a 110mm ski on hardpack your a demi ski god!!
snow report
the_doc, thanks. Preacher scares me off because of its 155 mm shovel, but I will take a second look at the Ranger.

kitenski, the only time I took a 110 mm ski to the groomers was last month in Hintertux, and it performed almost as good as my metal Kastle MXs. I give full credit to the condition of the pistes (it was ~3 days after a good dump).
snow conditions
As I mentioned the old Moment Bibbys, the new Exit Worlds are basically the same (lighter and 1mm narrower), available here: http://www.blacksheepsports.de/Ski/Freeride-Ski/Moment-Skis-Exit-World.html I think discount code BLACKSHEEP14 (or something similar, check their Instagram) gives you a further 10% reduction.

The 4FRNT CRJs they have would also be a very good option. I haven't skied them but fondled a mates pair, and they're very similar to the Bibbys. 4FRNT construction is really top notch too (my tech guy was impressed when he was drilling my EHPs).
latest report
RobW wrote:
I find 110mm a bit short....

level 8/10

Then you should be able to ski anything on a 165cm long slalom ski with a 67mm waist.

Or whatever your sponsor gives you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy