Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian resorts comparable with Obergurgl/Hochgurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from a trip to Obergurgl/Hochgurgl and then Stubaier Gletscher, fantastic skiing, the weather was great and as usual almost no people in the pistes.

http://youtube.com/v/nBEM1YH7YA4

Are there any other resorts in Austria comparable to Obergurgl? Would like to have the same ammount of pistes, access to offpiste and not to crowded.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The night skiing started at 18:30 so it wasn't really dark yet...

http://youtube.com/v/0mrzSyqqUPo
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mackar, We were in Obergurgl at the end of March and absolutely loved it. Our only gripe was that we found the skiing rather limited. Both in terms of difficulty and particularly quantity. To be fair, the lower slopes were often rather soft so we tended to stay high which restricted the runs available but we still felt we'd pretty much skiied out the resort within a couple of days. Madonna di Campiglio, which has a similar amount of piste felt more spacious. This may have been just an illusion.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree, we had 7 ski days in Obergurgl/Hochgurgl and I loved every day but that was enough. We were up early every day so we had some really great skiing between 8:45 and 11, we skipped lunch and continued to ski until 15 so we missed the last hour which isn't that good and when every one else is heading down.

After Obergurgl we went for another 9 days on Stubaier Gletscher which is about the same size but the skiing isn't as limited as in Obergurgl, I like basically every piste there and the offpiste is really easy to reach. After 9 days I wasn't tired of the system yet Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serfaus, Ischgl??? We've just booked Kuhtai which doesn't have many runs but great for touring if that's your thang
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Obertauern, Ischgl, Solden just down the road.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tom W wrote:
Obertauern, Ischgl, Solden just down the road.....
Never been to obertauern or Ischgl but Sölden was way more crowded than Obergurgl.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Both times I've been to Obergurgl and taken a day trip down to Solden I've found it busy and unpleasant. Obergurgl is much, much quieter and has nicer runs. Closest resort to Obergurgl that I know is Obertauern. About the same size in terms of km of piste, less vertical drop than Obergurgl but more variety in the pistes. A bit busier too, but nothing too excessive. Big advantage of Obertauern is that it has some genuinely tough black runs, which Obergurgl lacks.

Better still is Fiss - double the amount of pistes with good variety of runs. We were there at New Year and except for the gondolas from the villages there were hardly any queues. Very quiet village with limited apres. Should be decent off-piste but at New Year the snow cover wasn't good enough. This was true of most of Austria, so not a problem unique to Fiss.

An alternative option would be Kaprun - the skiing on the glacier is good and you're only a bus ride away from Zell Am See where you can get some tree skiing. Only downside is that you'll be using buses every day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was also thinking Obertauern as most similar but all the resorts have their own character. The main runs in solden from the first gondola going up the valley are busy as that is where the easier runs are but solden is relatively large area and there are plenty of quieter runs away from the busiest section.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If budget not an issue Lech/Zurs would be the obvious choice
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boabski wrote:
If budget not an issue Lech/Zurs would be the obvious choice
I've been to Lech/Zurs and liked the village but even if the pistes were nice I didn't really like them as much as in Obergurgl or Stubaier Gletscher, don't really know why. A lot of nice offpiste though Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try the Silvretta Nova - Gaschurn/St Gallenkirch/Partenen/Schruns. Quite quiet, but comparable skiing . Not so high, so not so good for late season. We went to Obergurgl this year March/April (one day in Solden) and it's a very small place really. We even skied almost all of Solden plus glaciers in a day. But it really wasn't crowded. Obergurgl was very quiet on the snow. We saw some people at the cafes.
Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg area is much bigger and varied, plenty of places to go, but again, late season you need somewhere high really. I fancy trying Fiss/Serfaus as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowyowl, Serfaus is mostly south facing - I think - so I would not push it to the late season really, especially in the winter like this one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom W, yes..we had no choice over dates this year, and wanted Austria, so Obergurgl it was. Son leaves school in July so no restrictions from now on.... Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
how come no one has said St Anton yet????
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
In my opinion St Anton is nice for offpiste skiing but the pistes are really crowded.
snow report
aren't they all comparable? i think you want similar...

all of Austria does what you want
ski holidays
mackar wrote:
jedster wrote:
In my opinion St Anton is nice for offpiste skiing but the pistes are really crowded.

Not at Easter it isn't!!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy