Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

aspen/snow mass verse Sunpeaks/ whistler (SP and Big white)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

can we get some feedback on aspen and snowmass from all the snowheads out there please?
We've been searching through brochures and thought we'd worked out what we wanted (5 days in sunpeaks Canada, 5 days at either whistler or Big white and a couple of days in Vancouver) snowHead
problem Confused
over the weekend we looked at the brochures and now wondering about aspen snow mass for 10 days and a couple of days in Denver possibly

advantage we can see with aspen is the lack of transit time between the slopes, and the possibility of skiing a greater area, with possibly better weather. Problem is none of our friends have been to aspen or snowmass

what are peoples thoughts Puzzled
thanks from both of us
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi rob, we went to aspen snowmass two years ago and apart from the 3 flights it took from the UK which was a pain it is a superb place to ski. We stayed at snowmass village which is a small purpose built place and a good base as the biggest ski area is snowmass. The resort level is at 2600 metres and there is a very good chance of slight altitude sickness which we both got, the signs are dry throat and a headache which feels like a hangover so you really need to drink a lot of water beleive me. The skiing itself is absolutely superb snowmass is brilliant, so is aspen highlands which was always fairly quiet, please don't ignore buttermilk as it is a great little place to ski with wide open stress free cruising, we didn't ski apsen mountain as we were told it was a very tricky one to ski and Linda was only on her second holiday and i think it would have scared her. Aspen town is a lovely place we just decided not to stay there. The ski buses from snowmass to the other areas are very good so you will have no problem getting around. Your post is ironic as where you have been before is where we want to go this season, which is big white and silver star, the only problem for me is again 3 flights from the UK as we would have to fly from manchester and change at heathrow which we won't do as the trip to aspen made us not want to take more than one flight to ski anymore. We have been thinking of Banff as we really fancy a two week trip this year, but again i am put off by having to get buses to the 3 ski areas [it's hard deciding isn't it] what did you think of big white silver star, we just like nice cruisers nothing too steep, does big white get a lot of cloud over it and if so is it a problem with flat light? Anyway to sum up if you don't mind the three flights, you might only have to take two if you go to Denver, then i don't think you will find a better place to ski in the US it has been the where to ski and snowboards favourite US resort for the last 5 or 6 seasons so there you are. Any feedback on Canada would be appreciated Rob.
Regards
Andy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We have been to Snowmass (3 years ago) and Big White (last year). Loved both, perhaps for slightly different reasons.

Snowmass and the linked hills cover all the bases and, yes, don't ignore Buttermilk. Shuttle buses are fairly frequent and well organised. Everything from flattering cruisers to frankly scary double blacks and beyond if you go through gates, which we never did.

Big White is smaller, but marginally cheaper, especially for lessons which we found to be excellent, well taught and well worth while. The weather thing is quite seasonal, apparently it can be foggy in early season - we went in late Feb/Early March and did not see a wisp of fog - or a flake of snow disappointingly. I think there is less at Big White than Aspen to challenge the serious bump-basher, but I don't think you would run out of new stuff in either place unless you absolutely refuse to do the same run twice, however for 10 days you do run that risk at Big White.

Queue management brilliant at both resorts, piste grooming less frequent than Alps, I think it's a different feel though, with runs in these resorts being rather more predictable than the Alps... or less exciting depending on your point of view. If I remember, there is always a blue home from the top of any lift at Snowmass, whereas in France with beginners once I found a green run closed halfway down and skiers diverted on to a slightly tricky red. Excitement or stress? Depends how confident you are.

David
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy