Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Watch where you are going will you...are you blind?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well yes actually...they were.

Verbier this weekend: a large group of blind skiers were there with the their ski guides.
We were eating lunch at the next table and I could see that these people were 100% blind, not just vision restricted.
They skied down all the available runs with one guide in front calling left/right and one or two behind and to the side just in case.

Some of the blind skiers were really good, some were having lessons.

We were just full of admiration! Try this (we did): find a moment when the piste in front is flattish (ie no moguls or bumps), nice and wide and after a glance around there is nobody close or behind you. Shut your eyes and try to do two or three turns "simulated blind". Wow! This is not a comfortable feeling at all!

Like I said...we were just full of admiration.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Once you've seen blind skiers, it stops you from ever moaning about flat light again. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp,
Quote:

Like I said...we were just full of admiration.

I feel the same way. I was completely speechless, when watching a member of the US Disabled Ski Team training at Arapahoe Basin some years ago. A downhill racer, this guy was having his coach shout directions from behind. Only in the base cafe later, did I see that he was fully blind.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rungsp, that is actually a very useful drill. Just make sure you know what's in front of (and behind) you before you shut your eyes Shocked
On a slightly related note, does anyone else find that closing the eyes at a concert makes for a much more satisfactory auditory experience? I find watching them distracts me from the listening - or is it just that my brain is very little and can't cope with two sensory inputs?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alan Craggs, for some of us it's like trying to walk and chew gum at the same time Little Angel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy