Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ancient village of TIGNES re-emerges from lake after 60 years...

Poster: A snowHead
We've been walking around the ruins of old village of Tignes, now uncovered while the Lac de Chevril reservoir is being drained for repairs. It's a fascinating and eerie place, and there are a surprisingly large number of recognisable ruins - we were even able to explore the rooms of one old house... I've been writing about all this in my blog: http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/ and later we are going to post more pictures....

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
araird, Very interesting. I've also looked at your blog entry which you linked. Just a minor point, but your blog entry is incorrect when it states "Overall the scheme would produce nearly a million megawatts, enough electricity for 150,000 homes (such as city the size of Grenoble)." A million megawatts is about 10 times more than the total present day generating output of the whole of France! I think you might have meant to say "nearly a million kilowatts", but in fact according to Wikipedia the Tignes dam actually has a total output of just under half this amount i.e 428 Megawatts ( 1 Megawatt=1000 Kilowatts). Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No sign of any zombies then?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

"Overall the scheme would produce nearly a million megawatts,

Sorry, this should have been 1000 megawatts - as you say 428mw from the Tignes/Malgovert system, and an equivalent amount from La Sassiere, Viclaire, Les Brevieres, La Coche etc. which are connected.
My source is Denis Varaschin's excellent book "Tignes, la naissance d'un geant". Still, it's a lot of sustainable carbon-free electricty.

Davidof: no zombies but lots of spirits. Check it out for yourself, before it becomes a theme park in the summer....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:

My thoughts too Shocked Laughing Though I never watched the end of the series.......and someone has deleted it rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What's the name of the film you are talking about?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
igLou wrote:
davidof wrote:

My thoughts too Shocked Laughing Though I never watched the end of the series.......and someone has deleted it rolling eyes

Pretentious gallic tosh. No-wonder the Guardian readers loved it. They need to bring Frank Darabont in for season 2.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It reminded me of visiting Oradour-sur-Glane...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I didn't know the SS were in Tignes?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maybe, have a look at this:

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lots more piccys on the Tignes or Val threads
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
araird wrote:
What's the name of the film you are talking about?

The Returned C4 series
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My son and family live in the Chew Valley, between Bristol and Weston. A lovely area, with a big reservoir formed by drowning quite a lot of farmland and dwellings. Quite sad, really. Like the Welsh village drowned to provide water to Liverpool - still a potent cause of resentment. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/the-village-drowned-to-give-another-nation-water-2108977.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
araird your picture is one of the best i have seen yet
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
Pretentious gallic tosh. .

Best thing on TV in years. Best soundtrack too.
snow conditions
I have written a kind of 'photo-blog' about my visit to the remains of old Tignes yesterday. It's a been a moving experience....

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/
snow report
araird, Why has the valley been emptied of water? Seems an odd time of year to do it?
snow conditions
The 'conduite forcée' pipes from Malgovert to Bourg St Maurice are being replaced, so there's nowhere for the water to go! They are also taking advantage of this to replace the main spherical valve at the base of the dam.
Interesting story here: when they finally closed this valve in March 1952 to allow the reservoir to fill (and flood the village) they were so worried about (further) acts of sabotage (that protestors might break in and open the valve and flood the whole valley below!) that they dismantled the hydraulic actuating mechanism and hid all the parts in different places away from the dam/power station. I reckon they must have restricted the inflow from the various streams/undergound passes that feed the reservoir to get the level as low as it is now (lower than the offical 'vidange' in 2000). There's more about the Malgovert end of things on one of my blog posts:

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/2013/01/moving-mountains-new-piste-to-bourg.html
ski holidays
The 'conduite forcée' pipes from Malgovert to Bourg St Maurice are being replaced, so there's nowhere for the water to go! They are also taking advantage of this to replace the main spherical valve at the base of the dam.
Interesting story here: when they finally closed this valve in March 1952 to allow the reservoir to fill (and flood the village) they were so worried about (further) acts of sabotage (that protestors might break in and open the valve and flood the whole valley below!) that they dismantled the hydraulic actuating mechanism and hid all the parts in different places away from the dam/power station. I reckon they must have restricted the inflow from the various streams/undergound passes that feed the reservoir to get the level as low as it is now (lower than the offical 'vidange' in 2000). There's more about the Malgovert end of things on one of my blog posts:

http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/2013/01/moving-mountains-new-piste-to-bourg.html
latest report
araird, Ah, I see thanks. When will it be re-filled? Will the summer white water rafting be affected?
ski holidays
Quote:

super-snowHead
araird, Ah, I see thanks. When will it be re-filled? Will the summer white water rafting be affected?

Probably not, as the flow of the Isere is regulated by the various 'bassin de compensation' along the way. It looks pretty full and wild at Bourg and Centron at the moment - all the snow's melting...
EDF says works will be completed by end of 2015, and it takes 6 months to fill the Lac de Chevril
latest report
That's very interesting, you should maybe write a blog about this stuff or post it on Facebook?
snow report
Quote:

That's very interesting, you should maybe write a blog about this stuff or post it on Facebook?

I do already! See http://grangedalice.blogspot.fr/
latest report
Ah thanks, I will take a look.
snow report
Interesting thanks! Several inernet sources (including wikipedia) seem to think the hydro isn't actually used? That seems really odd - surely better to use the hyrdo and slow production at some other less endless source power station?
snow conditions
a.j., Hydo is one of those power sources that electricity companies love since it can be up to speed and generating in under 1 minute, great for on demand power during advert breaks etc.
ski holidays
araird, wrote:

Interesting story here: when they finally closed this valve in March 1952 to allow the reservoir to fill (and flood the village) they were so worried about (further) acts of sabotage (that protestors might break in and open the valve and flood the whole valley below!) that they dismantled the hydraulic actuating mechanism and hid all the parts in different places away from the dam/power station.

Ironically one of the saboteurs, Henri Extrassiaz who received a suspended sentence for his activities and sadly died in 2011 (I would love to have met him) became one of the early visionaries in Le Lac becoming a Guide, founder of a ski school and builder of the Arbina. His 3 daughters now own a € multi million business!

a.j., Which bit of wiki were you looking at exactly - I found bot French and English entries but can see no mention of it not being used. It was certainly humming away above the turbine hall at the dam when I was there last week.

For those are interested here are a couple more links; firstly a quick description of the whole renovation in English and French from EDF:

http://energie.edf.com/fichiers/fckeditor/Commun/En_Direct_Centrales/Hydraulique/Centres/Les_Alpes/actualite_technique/documents/EDF_TignesMalgovert_Plaquette-BAT2.pdf

More evocative film and series of stills:

http://www.britishpathe.com/ Just search Tignes.

boredsurfin, I did find an EDF dated Feb 14 which said (in French only) the water is now at its lowest possible level and will remain so for several months - so probably through the summer. Given the popularity of the site I suspect we will have ice cream stands by the summer!
ski holidays
Looking again it's the links from the wiki not wiki itself:
http://www.tignesnet.com/tignes/history.html

and the top few hits for "tignes dam village" on google
http://www.thesummitnews.co.uk/locations/the-powerful-history-of-tignes/
http://www.tignes-spirit.com/services/indepth/article/6
http://www.topskialps.com/shorthistory.html?28e5bbf660cb545fc854f5c048c7be7c=25b90332860eb58af4bbbe136935b8b6

I'm wondering if they are all just repeating a rumour....I see it on the edf site as active Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.ina.fr/video/AFE85004524/a-tignes-l-eau-monte-video.html
http://www.ina.fr/video/AFE85004484/la-fin-de-tignes-video.html
http://videos.tf1.fr/jt-we/2014/zoom-sur-tignes-le-barrage-8370801.html

As far as I can tell the rumour that it is not used, or just used as a backup for the ski resort, is utter tosh.
ski holidays
a.j., Amazing how 'urban myths' now become perpetuated by 'cut and paste'. I'd love to see this battery! I will have to go and buy the 'official book' referred to in araird, 's blog. I wonder if they are suggesting the supply can be enhanced by releasing water quickly like Dinorwig in Wales that actually 'stores' electricity by pumping water up hill during periods of reduced demand and letting it rip when Eastenders finishes. As far as I can work out there is no uphill transport of water. More practically, I have spent a while on a chairlift when the whole electricity supply to the valley was cut - we definitely had to wait for the diesel to be fired up. Plus it would take a while for the surge to reach the main transformers near Bourg.
Perhaps the person who wrote this originally is the same one that spreads the rumours that you can still hear the church bells when they drain the lake and Hercules (the mural on the Dam) was painted by a man on a rope with his feet!
snow conditions
> Perhaps the person who wrote this originally is the same one that spreads the rumours that you can still hear the church bells when they drain the lake

aren't the church bells in the church in Tignes now?
snow report
Apparently they did have a hell of a time putting in the tunnels to take the water from the dam to the turbines, they relied on surveys taken prior to WW2 and discovered when they put in the tunnels that certain areas were very unstable.
ski holidays
Some interesting pictures. Whenever one of the drowned villages in a reservoir here emerges there I always lots of interest though not usually much to see since the buildings were usually destroyed first.

My favourite empty reservoir tale is the story of a Derbyshire lake being drained and then one day someonefinding in the muddy lake bed a skeleton wrapped in a chain Skullie
snow report
Are they going to renovate the painting on the damn as well? You can hardly see him now.
snow report
No plans that I am aware of - the last estimate for re-doing Hercules was well over €3m. Not sure the mighty EDF has that much to flash about. T'is a shame though.
ski holidays
Very interesting, Araird, great blog too.

Peter S, this from Oklahoma tops that!

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/id-okla-lake-skeletons-years-article-1.1466177
snow report
igLou wrote:

The Returned C4 series

Aren't they filming the second series this year? Not sure if this will screw them up or it's a convenient part of the story given the possible significance of the drowned village in the story.
latest report
I thought the damn had burst at the end of series 1, although I was half asleep with ennui
ski holidays
So you were "half asleep with ennui" but nevertheless watched the entire series, just to make sure you didn't like it?
snow conditions
I wonder if the long time before the second series is/was made is because they were aware it was going to be emptied so wanted to use this for filming?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy