Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of Season Sales - waddya get !

Poster: A snowHead
Picked up a Sweet Protection Supernaught jacket. I've been looking for one in the Viper-green/powder blue colour combination all season, but noone seemed to have my size. At last, and at almost half price! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing Sad

I'd like a high end ladies ski jacket with a 'waist', the trouble is none of the ladies jackets in any brand I've ever tried are cut to fit me Sad Embarassed
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arc'teryx Caden Gloves just arrived ... might have to go back to Morzine so I can try em out in the rain !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, did you like the skis? Everyone always says not to buy without trying, but I'm no ski conoisseur and have other Dynastar skis which I like.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret wrote:
Arc'teryx Caden Gloves just arrived ... might have to go back to Morzine so I can try em out in the rain !

That looks a very nice glove, and with a removable liner should work in spring and mid winter!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, yes I do really like them. I didn't have chance to demo either but liked some of the reviews. However I don't agree that they are a piste performance ski. For me the 'performance' element is not there and I don't think I am a connoisseur either Laughing

That said they have loads of plus points; they are really, really easy to ski. Really easy to turn. They are very good in soft just turning snow and heavy wet slush. They are very light. They ski short, probably because of the tip rocker and the forward mount compared to others (same length as my old atomics yet are mounted on the recommended line and are almost 3 cm forward!) They have a short turn radius and feel very turny, so good for short turns. They are very nimble, agile skis. Good in very chopped up conditions, big slushy mounds, no problem.

But...I was seriously unimpressed with the edge hold on the icy hardpack we had almost every morning last week and I will be checking the edge angles, I'm hoping that they're currently set to 89 and that changing them to 87 will improve this. Though it could have been that the effective edge was too short for me as my previous skis were not rockered. I also found the tip to be a tad wide and shovelly for this category of ski. I also found that at times I wanted to go faster than they did and this was a real surprise as I am no speed demon, so I don't know what that was Puzzled maybe more waxing, or maybe just too turny. However at the speed I was able to get up to they were stable enough and not flappy. They were also not as quick edge to edge as I'd hoped, and early on in the week I seemed to be struggling to get them on their edges well, that did improve over the week (so I improved Embarassed ) but still they were not so good in that respect as my old skis which are 67 underfoot or my instructor's Head slalom skis which he made me jump on for a run Laughing I suspect you will like them a lot as I did really and especially as you are lighter than me. I just think that if you really wanted to push this ski then it's lacking a bit. But I am heavy, though reducing Embarassed and fairly strong, and a fairly technical (for a recreational skier) skier and think that I might just have been better served by one of the other skis on my shortlist.

Gosh that was a bit waffly Embarassed
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, thanks for that - very interesting. I think they will be a good addition to my modest "quiver". I am 9st 8 lbs and have ordered 158 - my other skis are longer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, yeah they wont be for extreme cold but they seem very waterproof and the liners come out very easily and are washable, I also have some arcteryx merino liners for touring and they are leagues better than the Hestra ones which fall to bits ... Like all arcteryx stuff fits perfectly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum wrote:
Nothing Sad

I'd like a high end ladies ski jacket with a 'waist', the trouble is none of the ladies jackets in any brand I've ever tried are cut to fit me Sad Embarassed

Have you tried the Burton ladies jackets? I've got three, and they are all very flattering. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, I really think you will love them Very Happy I was being picky with my review and I had two other pairs of skis in the car and I didn't change them. On the second day I swapped back to my old piste skis half way through the morning and didn't find that I liked them any better so swapped back to the new ones and stayed on them all week. They are very good skis indeed snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skullcandy headphone inserts for my Giro helmet. Incredible sound quality and still able to hear ambient noises as long as I don't crank them up too high. $15

The only negative is the lack of being able to take calls on them . . . but still $15 Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Masque, I'd like some of those, especially for $15. Where did you get them?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Masque, pam w, me too, bit of music might help my flow Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, T'other side of the main road through Frisco . . . I'll go see if they have any more . . . can't ski today, got clobbered by a prick ona board yesterday Evil or Very Mad

edit: another one rolling eyes Is this gonna gain me some fringe benefits wink

Oh . . . "ok, we'll draw the line there" (TED)

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 20-04-14 17:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Level leather ski racing gloves with knuckle protection, 0.99p from Ebay Very Happy
latest report
I hoped to get some new boots in a sale, alas the only boots that fitted me werent in the sale. This after trying on 10+ pairs in nearly every ski shop in kitzbuhel
snow conditions
Quote:

can't ski today, got clobbered by a prick ona board yesterday

Sad sorry to hear that; get well soon, Masque,
Quote:

I'll go see if they have any more .

thanks Little Angel
ski holidays
skitech wrote:
I hoped to get some new boots in a sale, alas the only boots that fitted me werent in the sale. This after trying on 10+ pairs in nearly every ski shop in kitzbuhel

Isn't the idea to make them fit? wink

I got some Volkl 84 RTM from Sport Conrad for OH and looking out for a jacket for myself - my current Schoffel one owes me nothing and although I still love it, it's showing wear and tear. Most of the jackets I like the look of seem to be either shells or down though, neither of which I want Confused
snow conditions
igLou wrote:
skitech wrote:

Isn't the idea to make them fit? wink

I got some Volkl 84 RTM from Sport Conrad for OH and looking out for a jacket for myself - my current Schoffel one owes me nothing and although I still love it, it's showing wear and tear. Most of the jackets I like the look of seem to be either shells or down though, neither of which I want Confused

Yes thats how I ended up paying more than I wanted for a pair of Fischer vacuums, though I could have got some Salomons half the price but on principle I wasnt going to buy from a salesman who argued at was size feet I am Embarassed
ski holidays
skitech, normally people look forward to treating themselves to new kit/shoes but with ski boots (imo) there's a feeling of dread Laughing Mine are fine right now thankfully but OH (who had huge difficulty and discomfort last time) is just about to embark on the journey again.
snow report
igLou,
Quote:

is just about to embark on the journey again.

so is my OH going to buy new ones
snow conditions
I've been very good; just a couple of base layer T's.
snow conditions
I only NEED some stiffer tongues for my Full Tilt boots and some new socks... however, I want the matching Oakley trousers for my jacket, even though the red ones i have are a good match already.. only £50, don't know whether to go for them or not!
snow conditions
Popped into the Arc'yteryx shop in Covent Garden today and although no ski gear available got chatting about what model trousers have replaced the Sidewinder SV that they no longer do... My old ones worn out after doing sterling service for 4 years, he calls head office who says they have a pair in my size in the warehouse and as discontinued would be 60% off ... sweeeeet......

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 15-05-14 16:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Found my uncle some brand new Volkl Nunataqs for 170 quid..... ridiculous haha!
snow report
While in Whistler for the first time, demo some Kastle mx83's... And decided they were very nice but a big change from my old mentalist Atomic XI metrons.

found and took a chance on a pair of Kastle RX12's on clearance with the Marker Ti bindings and Canadian tax for 500 Canadian, aboot 275 pounds sterling - lovely jubbly.
latest report
Just before I left Copper I wandered into one of their 'premium' stores for a mooch round, saw a backpack . . . I've been looking for a day+ pack that will fit as carry on with all the electro and heavy crap we can no longer seem to live without and still function as a proper mountain pack. You'd be surprised at just how rare that is. I'd have liked some sort of avalanche protection but I don't yet have that specific need.

Anyway, this pack was tucked into a corner behind others and it was purely me having a dig around that surfaced it, kinda liked the look of it, couldn't find any tags so took it to the kid behind the checkout . . . who was just looking to get out for his summer job . . . and who just said after a perfunctory search for a price said "50 Bucks?"

I said "OK" . . .

http://www.camelbak.com/en/Canada/Sports-Recreation/Packs/2012-Pit-Boss.aspx retails about $120 and I love it Twisted Evil
snow report
Masque, you are doing well with the bargains Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nothing yet but I need some new goggles. Thinking Bolle Modulator.
snow report
I'm keen on some photochromatic lensed goggles too, so if you find a particular bargain would you post a link (& I'll do the same if I get around to doing a search) snowHead
ski holidays
rogg, I'm lookin at Bolle Nova with citrus modulator (cat 1 -3). Most have vermillion which is only cat 1 - 2. Typically £50 - £55.
ski holidays
Peak Performance Orion Jacket
in green & white

128 quid (half price) Smile

latest report
Further to the thread where I was basicaly told I was a big fat liar from my fellow interneteers I have a set of Salomon Enduro XT800's, some xpro120 boots, some goggles and some socks.

I also have a failing heart as a quick search on Crystal put the feb half term ski trip at a staggering £1034pp
snow report
Sun Web what appeared to be some good prices for half term last season. Somebody on here posted about them. I don't remember seeing any feedback after they went though.

Edited to correct name.
latest report
Seem to have got some detuned gs type skis...

2012/13 Volkl speedwall code l

Blurb
Quote:
The Code Speedwall features a new shape, wider than a race ski for added versatility, and a deep sidecut for intense turns on the groomers. To smooth out the ride, we’ve added tip and tail rocker. The Code Speedwall gives good skiers a new level of performance on frontside, groomed conditions.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 20-05-14 14:56; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Seem to have got some detuned gs type skis...

2012/13 Volkl speedwall code l

Nice choice! (Saying that I've never skied them). Is this BASI thing is turning an 'off-piste junkie' into a 'piste-performance head'?
snow report
balernoStu, seems to be, using the wide skis less and less, didn't use them at all last season!! Went for a slightly wider GS type ski for a bit more versatility for variables!!
ski holidays
balernoStu, in fact I'll be nicking that for my sig Smile
latest report
Anyone got any top tips on replacement liners? Profeet seem to being doing discounts on foams at the moment but not sure I'm brave enough and concerned about warmth.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes, Intuitions really good for warmth.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy