Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Coming out there tomorrow and expecting lots of damage to my bases Crying or Very sad

However at least the link with Tignes is now open.

looks like there may be some snow at the end of the week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter S, It's getting pretty thin, with increasing amounts of small stones on some pistes and icy conditions as snow is swept away by skiers and boarders. More snow would certainly be welcome! Although conditions aren't that good, it is possible to find excellent snow - I skied the Grand Motte earlier today and it was in perfect condition (grippy snow, not many skiers/boarders, no wind, not too cold, etc). Champagny and 35 pistes were terrific and the Leisse wasn't that bad except for a few icy patches towards the bottom. Hope you have a good trip.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter S, it's not as bad as suggested ( in some places) . We found some lovely intra-piste powder on Saturday and skied good groomers yesterday. Leisse was disappointing only in that no nice bumps had formed but the cut up fresh on the side was nice.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
any more news on current conditions at val? im not getting out there for 6 weeks but its hard not to be curious!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did you not see the races on Eurosport over the weekend? On saturday, the start was delayed because of the weather, and there was *lots* of shots of it snowing heavily. Sunday was apparently not to the racers' preferences either: too much soft snow on piste!

We were a few miles further north in La Rosiere on sunday, the photos show snow up to the waist at times..... Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, Photos....... yes please Very Happy . I dont want to rush you but NOW will do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch,
Quote:

no nice bumps had formed but the cut up fresh on the side was nice.

Was this some of the mythical "freshies" that the yoof find, or was it old fashioned powder Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just don't call it 'pow'
I hate that word.

Grumpy old fart
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowbunny, It was cut up fresh snow, not light enough to be powder (a bit windblown) but very pleasant all the same.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Photos now RobW, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just a sample:

More at http://saxons.fotopic.net/c799818.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RobW, La Rosiere in Utah.

Cannot believe that in an hour and a half that no one has commented on these wonderful photos. You jammy, jammy, lucky, lucky, barsteward. Tell us RobW, was it as good as it looked, and where is everyone else.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry but had to bring this thread back to the top. Have a look at RobW's photos Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very nice RobW, but how did this thread morph into a La Ros snow report? I keep tuning in to see what the conditions are like in Val and my small brain keeps getting confused by these lovely photos from further down the Tarentaise valley! These photos, and La Ros itself, deserve a thread of their own...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk, Laughing In a perfect world you would be right. I suppose the only link is that they are not too far apart Very Happy
snow report
anybody got an update on current conditions? snowforecast.com says its not snowed since the 2nd Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
just got a text from a mate out there .... he says ... 'A bit icy mate but still plenty and well groomed."

Heading out the tomorrow so will be glad of the edges on my brand new skis !!
snow report
cheers rich

icy? not the word i wanted to hear! think i'll be taking my board down to TSA to get the edges done.....
snow conditions
Icy in places, it was very nice over where they do the summer skiing new col d'isere but not desperately challenging. The base still isnt great on some of the more popular routes with some of the local plant life popping through!

However from the sounds of things it was pretty bad before new year.
ski holidays
I was in Val d'Isere until New Years Eve. In two weeks we only had about 1cm of new snow fall, not enough to register except when wind blown off piste. During the time some of the pistes were bad. Artificial snow cover on the main runs down was good although in many places it was extremely hard packed and icy. A few other places were bare or rocky. The pistes down from Boulin-Fresse towards the Marmotte restuarant, ie towards VDI had big bare patches. Down the other way to Tignes the top section had massess of loose stones and some rocks sticking up. From Toviere the top few hundred metres (until turn left for Val or right for Tignes) was very stony, piste rocs was closed - is its name significant? At the begining of our stay the area between the bases of Glacier Express and Datcha was really bad, did not go back there.

Having described some of the bad, what was good? Many of the pistes were fine. Snow makers were busy almost all of the time, however sometimes this left big lumps of snow blocking some of the pistes. We skiied off piste every day and we had untracked snowfields most of the time. It was not deep fluffy powder, but it was good off piste snow. The easy to access stuff near the pistes was heavily tracked or showed too many rocks for anyone to attempt it. I skiied with www.alpineexperience.com, when conditions are poor the good ski schools can find good snow off piste. We had to walk a bit or do long traverses or use skins, but given the conditions we had very good snow. My skis caressed several rocks while off piste but none that forced big repairs.

After I took my skis off on the last day of the holiday it started snowing. When the coach left the next morning there was about 40cm of new snow in the car park. Our coach took two hours to do the 60km to Moutier, this was due to snow on the road, there was little other traffic early in the morning.
snow conditions
Adrian wrote:

After I took my skis off on the last day of the holiday it started snowing..

I know the feeling. It sucks. You have to deal with all the hassle of the snow (traffic cold + wet) and none of the fun rolling eyes
snow conditions
I'm heading to Val D on Sunday - any more up to date news on the snow conditions?
snow report
I have just got back from val today, I posted an earlier panicky message pleading for snow a few weeks ago. it was beautiful. Superb, somewhat ruined by a very poor chalet, but val d'isere was great. It appears most of the runs were open, however by friday a few were very thin on the ground, with warnings out regarding rocks , if I remember rightly this was on genepy side of tignes. I said hello to the mountain in a few patches! I think anyone going in the next week would be thankful of some snow however, there is more than enough good runs open. ok some a bit icy, especially going down to la daille, with a few casualties going down, but generally moving over to the edges away from the general use, the icy bits were easily avoided. cannot comment on the state off piste, except that in most parts it looked lovely, and in parts we could see were a few people had gone down to rock. It was a superb week and we are already looking forward to going back again. I hope everyone else out there has as much fun. wink
latest report
Mate in resort has just texted me that it's snowing.
ski holidays
get in!

by all accounts it sound like it needs it
latest report
Oh for f**k's sake! I cannot believe how lucky this bloke is. My mate in Val D'Isere just called me (literally 2 minutes ago). "Why aren't you on the slopes?" say I. "Oh they're only just getting the runs & lifts open now because of all the snow that fell overnight. They're saying there's about 60cm fallen..."

THEN he has the temerity to complain that the light is a bit flat and he's struggling to see.... would have been better to come out next week when it's nice & sunny, he says...

He gets snowed on EVERY bloody time he goes skiing... it's just not fair!
snow report
well that'll cover up the rocks for a while! what chance of it stil being there in 11 days when i get over? pretty slim i reckon. so lets hope it keeps falling!
snow conditions
Im going to val disere on Saturday and was seriously worried about the lack of snow. this has cheered me up no end. The Val disere website states that there is only around 15cm fallen, could this be wrong.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
60cm does seem a little high for europe.....
ski holidays
It is apparently 25cm of new snow fall (http://www.valdisere.com). It hadnt snowed heavily since the 2nd so it was definately needed.
snow report
Edmundh009, looks like youve timed it right then!
snow report
45cm of new snow at 3,000m in La Plagne according to FranceMeteo.
snow conditions
its really had a good dump over there then!
ski holidays
carled wrote:
He gets snowed on EVERY bloody time he goes skiing... it's just not fair!

Could you let us know when and where he is planning to go skiing next snowHead
latest report
Quote:

Could you let us know when and where he is planning to go skiing next

Bloody well dragging him away with me in April! Very Happy
latest report
Have just received a dump alert from valdinet.com. 50cm fresh at 1850m in Val d'Iserse. Great as I'm off there on Saturday. Couldn't have asked for a better birthday present today !!

"A dump at last in Val D’Isere! Snow has been falling steadily for the last 48hrs with a total of 40 to 50 cms of glorious powder settling at 1850 metres. With the forecast only predicting a meagre 20cms…...we’re all very happy! The wind has picked up quite a bit in the last 24 hours with gusts of 80 km/h being measured at 3000m. Conditions on piste are excellent and off piste hard to resist, but with a heavy avalanche risk and a fairly unstable snow pack, they should only be explored with extreme caution and all the necessary equipment. However, with the weather clearing and warming over the next few days, how about we lay down some nice tracks for you! ;O)"
latest report
not fair! i want to be there now and not 10 days time!!!! Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy