Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
I had a call from an instructor friend in an angry state this evening.

He arrived in Val on Friday for the opening weekend ... to find nothing open but the Solaise nursery slope and the OK piste from the top of Bellevarde to La Daille. He's out there with clients (as he has been in early December for the past 16 years) and reckons there's far more open in Tignes - which would have to be accessed by bus/taxi at present.

He's angry because he reckons Val has enjoyed "good snowmaking weather for 3 weeks". I suggested he double-checks some meteo records on that claim, but it does seem that early visitors to Val this winter are being short-changed. He's now worried that the OK will be shut from Wednesday, in preparation for training for the Premiere Neige next weekend - though he reckons they might open more of the Solaise side by then - assuming no major natural snowfall.

"The mountains are all white" he says "but there's no base". He reckons there's a good 60cm of artificial snow on the OK, to the extent that substantial moguls have formed in places. Hardly surprising, since two substantial lifts feed the top of the Bellevarde, plus the bubbles from La Daille feeding the bottom half of the run.

Certainly, comparing the situation with Zermatt - experiencing a similar snow drought at present - there seem to be many more runs open on artificial snow in the Swiss resort. The Rothorn sector opened this weekend, with about five gunned runs open.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They've made 300,000 cu m of snow on the OK for the Criterium. I've yet to verify this but someone told me the fully inc cost of producing 1 M3 of articifial snow worked out at 1€20. If that's the case, no wonder lift prices are going up.

They've been making snow elsewhere, so I would have thought there was at least some base. I've been looking at various webcams. The OK will be shut Wednesday, the run to the right as you're looking up (name escapes me) will be open though. From what I remember of last year it wasn't any better, running the Criterium in 2004 was far more touch and go.

Tignes hasn't got that much open either.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's the weather like?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's rained a lot today in BSM until quite late this evening, so there should have been a reasonable dump of snow over at Espace Killy. I'm over at Val first thing tomorrow in theory so I should have a reasonable idea of the situation by lunchtime when I get back.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think my friend in Val did say that the daily liftpass price is running at E23.50 (confirm), against a normal daily price much higher than that, so it's cheaper than a day on Cairngorm at the moment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Off to Val Wednesday, I have been checking the val website, very little open, appears as if it will be a drive to Val Claret each day to get some miles in. Look forward to seeing your report PG
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I believe that last year, although they could possibly have opened more of the domain up, they were saving it for christmas week, although I may be mistaken.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last year was better for the tourists - although they were struggling to manufacture snow for the Criterium, there had been reasonable falls at altitude over the autumn and they were able to open up more of the domain as a result.

Yes very little open at Val with a base of 32 cm at resort level, and 30 cm at altitude despite last night's falls (less heavy than at lower levels though). General excuse is that it's been too cold, so while there has been some snow lower down only a 'powdering' fell above 2500. Mind you although that's the official line, the word in the bars is that it didn't stop them manufacturing vast quantities of the artificial stuff for the OK to the detriment of other areas of the domain.

More falling now though. I'll post photo links and more info soon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blog update here, with photos and link to today's album.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Thanks for the update, is there much more open in Tignes and what are the prospects of more opening at current snow levels ?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The lift company is being pretty tight lipped, can't really guess what its plans are. Spoke to a couple of people there, but I'm not really sure they know themselves. Without broadband since last Thursday so I haven't been keeping an eye on forecasts, but it's still falling steadily at the moment, down the valley in Les Arcs and La Ros anyway.

Daughter was skiing up in Tignes this morning, pretty quiet up on the glacier, busier on the Double M, a few pistes into Val Claret open on the Stade side, more than in Val but not brilliant.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some recent snow reports from one of the guys (Wayne Watson?) at Alpine Experience.

Quote:

December 3rd.
The season got underway today with a very limited opening. The OK was the only show in town and our first run was very nice indeed as it snowed 10 to 15 cm's, which softened the man-made snow considerably. ... Off-piste isn't an option for the moment as the snow cover is extremely thin, even at altitude ... It snowed lightly during the day and fingers crosssed that we get some more tonight.

December 4th.
It snowed another 5 cm's overnight and the skiing was very pleasant this morning. It is a must to get out early (like we always do) as the first few runs are the best before it slowly becomes more and more crowded to the point where we knocked off around 12:15 ... The sun was out briefly giving very good visibility this morning and fortunately it has closed in and has snowed lightly most of the afternoon. The forecast is for some more light snow tonight with a chance of some decent snow arriving for Tuesday and Wednesday.

December 5th.
The OK was closed for two weeks last night due to the upcoming World Cup races, and the resort was making a decision this morning at 8am about opening the Diebold or busing everyone to Tignes. Fortunately just enough snow fell last night to allow the Diebold to open. As you can imagine we powder skiers are looking forward to seeing the back-end of the race scene and are never pleased when the only skiable terrain in town is taking away from the paying public, so the decision to open was very well received. With that said we had a very good morning and even managed 150+ powder turns off the edge of the 3J piste. It had been pisted a few days ago and had 25 cm's of fresh snow on a safe base, so we ducked under the ropes (naughty us) and savoured some 'real' skiing. It is snowing lightly again (at 13:30 hrs) and is forecast to intensify over the next couple of days. Another 20 cm's of snow would make a massive difference and allow us to venture a little further from the pistes.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

so it's cheaper than a day on Cairngorm at the moment.

but hardly a bargain if everything's closed...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe they should try this in Val D..............

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11057
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not great news from Val this morning. While it was chucking it down in the valley at Bourg, and Les Arcs certainly looks very white from where I'm sitting, apparently up in Val they had barely two or three cms yesterday afternoon and evening.

As a result although they are saying they will be opening runs "progressively" it is unlikely that there will be much change from yesterday.
ski holidays
My understanding of Val is that it needs a really decent sized dump to get everything open.
snow report
I know people who are going here for Xmas week - they have paid over £750 each without food. They chose this on the basis of the snow guarantees the brochure eluded to. They only have a few weeks under their belt and I tried to convince them it was not a good idea (especially when they see the price of beer & food) and also explained that if the snow does arrive lower resorts will do just as well.

I really hope that they are able to open a large percentage of runs as the crowds will be bad enough anyway with so many people already committed!
latest report
I'm also going for Christmas, but am not worried yet (although I paid a lot les than that!). I remember that last year there was very poor snow up until just before Christmas, then a massive dump just before I arrived - stopped snowing as I stepped off the transfer coach, and then the sun shone for the whole week! Still plenty of time.
snow conditions
Dave Burt, I was there the week before you last year. I was not so happy.
ski holidays
I am thinking of going solo to Val on 7th January--have just made an inquiry for chalet accomodation--am a keen intermediate in her 50s--who is hopeless at reading skimaps--so would love to join a group or be informally guided by any "sympa" ski-bum needing part-time employment during that week... Blush
snow report
Only 12 hours till I leave home to go to Val d'Isere. A couple more lifts and runs open today according to the website. This could mean that it would a whole day to ski all the runs, assuming a very long lunch Puzzled
latest report
Dunk, are you doing a season?
snow report
julianne, I am going with a friend for a week from 7 Jan, I am sure we would like to meet anyone else out there.. but we are not very experienced.... (also hopeless at ski maps)
latest report
Today's blog entry with some news and pics of conditions in Val. Not much change from Monday as far as open runs are concerned, just an extra 7cms base taking them up to 39 cms (as of midday today)...
latest report
PG, C'mon Peter, you're "on the spot" - encourage a little more activity, please! Arriving late tomorrow and not impressed by the skiability Sad

Would heavy artillery help?
latest report
You might start an avalanche then all the runs would close... wink

This is a link to a higher res copy of the runs/lifts open today at midday, 405K approx...
snow conditions
I'll be in 'Le Tuf' (by the Funival bottom station) at 12.30pm on Saturday. You can't miss me, I'll be wearing a fluorescent green jacket with dark blue stripes, marked Les Arcs Ski Club wink
latest report
Thanks kladski-- I would be happy to meet up with you and friend--but I haven't yet decided where I am staying! Are you going with a tour operator or individually? We could then read the skimaps together? Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Julieanne, if we could tempt you to la rosiere for w/c 8th Jan, there'll be some other snowheads there and we have a ski host to show you the pistes, no need to hire a ski-bum. Have a look at our ad in snowShops for more information or you can go to our website www.tracksvacations.com foir full details.
latest report
Hi David--thanks for the temptation! I was thinking of Val as I have a friend who lives there all year round (almost)--so I could ski with him-- but would not want to impose on him too much...However, I'd like to see La Rosiere-- and I believe you had a special offer going that weeK?
I think we talked about this before-- I would like a single room-- so maybe better wait for a last minute booking arrangement?? Still not sure if a friend can come along or not-- have not heard from her. But I HAVE to go somewhere...can't wait until March! Blush
ski holidays
David- I AM very interested in that week-- if I could have a single room--just left you a phone message!
ski holidays
Julieanne, you can have a single room and if you can tempt your friend you get 2 for the price of 1. Just send me an email to info@tracksvacations.com and it will be booked.
latest report
oh well have fun in La Rosiere! Still, if anyone is around val week of 7th we would like some extra company!
Smile
snow report
No time to do the blog yet (on dial-up rolling eyes), bad enough uploading this album from today... scenes around Val, with some shots of the racers. Will do a weekend blog later...

Don't know who this guy is who sneaked in among the shots of the racers wink (Click for high res pic)...

Haven't had a moment either to ID the racers in the photos...
snow report
PG wrote:
Don't know who this guy is who sneaked in among the shots of the racers wink (Click for high res pic)...

Embarassed
latest report
Question is. Did he buy the skis to match the jacket or vice versa....? Smile
snow report
And here's yesterday's blog...
snow conditions
Jacket then skis.... He's a flora man..!!! Laughing
snow report
Skis then jacket. A complete coincidence, honestly!
snow conditions
Fantastic day, the Austrian machine powered to a podium 1-2-3 though, always good to see one of the minor nations on the podium. A bit ominous for the rest of the season, the way they completed dominated this race. Hopefully the combined today will see some new faces...

Can't complain about the weather though!

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy