Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season ending, Highs and lows.

Poster: A snowHead
Well, we are rapidly, and sadly, reaching season end. We managed two trips, Tignes and ADH.

Our highs were once again meeting some great people in chalets and having some great craic, and obviously skiing our little hearts out.

Lows, well there weren't any really, apart from maybe getting wiped out by a boarder in Val, but I was only bruised, so what the hey.

Some must have much better stories of highs or lows.

Please share, but please be warned, if your low involves Crystal ski, many of us will say, what were you thinking.........

Or is that just us?

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No lows except that it is over for another year...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Firstly, hello from a new boy around here.

Highs are easy for me - at the tender age of 40-something, going skiing for the first time (long story, full of rubbish excuses). Managed to get a family week in Madonna (brilliant) then nab a long weekend with my wife in Obergurgl (wait, where is that piste marker sending us?). Overall, progressed further than I dared to dream.

Also discovered things like the Nederhutte, Apero-spritzers and that I wasn't at all scared of heights when on a ski lift along the way.

The only low was picking myself off the snow in Austria to see my loose ski head off down a black run - luckily my (much) better half hared off in hot pursuit. Oh, and waiting this long I s'pose.

Playing catch-up now. Bring on next year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Started on a high in Val D in December which should have been the 1st of 4 trips but then sort of fizzled out after a fall and fractures shoulder and tendon thingy problems in January in Italy on day 2 Sad
Back at work (although restricted) and had a couple of runs in Hemel, just to try out the new skis Laughing
But hope it is on the up at EOSB Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've had an awesome season. We managed three trips, all to Oz en Oisans. Eldest Son (6yo) passed his first, second, and third stars this season, flew over some big ol' jumps in the park, and cured my 'pushy, whingy, ski Mummy' syndrome by learning so much through just sheer enjoyment of being on the mountain.

Smallest Son (3 yo) also started skiing. Even better, he appears to enjoy it!

Season lows - not managing to get my mitts on a litre of pink Hoegaarden. rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I struggled to find some lows, I really did but here's my highlights if anyone's interested!

High - small dump overnight and waking up to beautiful sun for our last off piste lesson of the week just after Christmas in Tignes (the Snow God really came good that time!)
Low - spending 3/4 hr searching for my lost (new) ski in the soft and fluffy stuff.
High - Finding my lost (new) ski after looking for 3/4 hr!
Low - Standing astride the ridgeline entry to Chardonnay Bowl thinking "WTF am I doing here"
High - Stringing together a few floaty powder turns in Cardonnay Bowl. Man I get it, I finally get it!
Low - 1st day in Banff being told at the hotel reception that every ski resort is shut until it warms up to -30. (That's pretty low!)
High - Skiing for 2 weeks in Canada at last.
Low - Cold toes.
High - Warm fingers (new Hestra gloves)
Low - Going to Canada and it not snowing for the 2 weeks we were there. (Can you believe it?)
High - Empty bowls to play in!
High - Going Cat skiing and completely missing every tree!
High - After 6 days of bad vis, waking up on the Heli skiing day to a beautiful blue sky ( I just love that Sun God!)
Low - Flying through the air thinking "poo-poo, this is going to hurt"
High - Not breaking my shoulder after landing on it from a great height (thank-you Dainese)
High - Being told by an instructor that I'm finally laying down proper tramlines with BOTH skis!
High - New Ski love ("I love my new skis I do!")
High - Watching a mate progress with his new Yes board. ("Have I told you I love my board?")
Low - Blowing all my savings on 4 weeks skiing this season.
High - Blowing all my savings on 4 weeks skiing this season!
High - getting the bikes out (motor- & mountain-) in this sun now my skiing season is over.

What a season!

Next Season...bring it on!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's been a quiet season for me this year.

Biggest high was the birth of my daughter.

Biggest low was rolling my car on the way to the mountain. Narrowly escaping death.

Next biggest high is yet to come as I'm off touring with a strong group next week.

I also think the season here will be going on until the end of May and perhaps end of June at least.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mistral, welcome to snowHeads snowHead and great first post Cool

Highs? Easy - getting engaged to the lovely Bootsie atop a mountain in Zauchensee Very Happy

Lows? Hmmmm....waking up this morning practically unable to stand with crippling back pain and knowing that in 2 days will need to drive to the EoSB Twisted Evil Chiro tonight and fingers crossed.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
High - the excessive depth of the snow in Arabba

Low - not being able to ski with everyone that I expected to ski with due to the excessive depth of the snow in Arabba
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andy, indeed!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Quote:

Smallest Son (3 yo) also started skiing. Even better, he appears to enjoy it!

Fenfilly, my highs were similar. These two little girls had enjoyed a couple of hours in the snow - the little one tobogganing, the big one skiing on such soft spring slow that although her snowplough is very dodgy, she didn't go too fast! Then I bought them home for lunch and to play "dolly and teddy tea party" outside my (south facing) apartment in the sun whilst their parents had a couple more hours. The lack of very cold weather this season has made life with little kids much easier.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Highs - Actually skiing. Thinking of a 2nd adult only week.

Lows - Mrs HD breaking her wrist very badly. Cancelling 2nd adult only week.

Wrist update (as I popped a pic up here) - She had all the metal removed on Monday under general, she's in a lot of pain but it should only take a few days to subside. The doc in the recent injury clinic was thinging of doing it without her going under because "he's been doing it for 25 years". He was politely told where to go.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

and in the same place, during what looks like having been the last snowfall of the season, another grandchild (though in the same suit) also discovers the fun of snow, for the first time. He cried bitterly when we brought him in, as the adults needed a hot chocolate!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The doc in the recent injury clinic was thinging of doing it without her going under

Shocked I think I'd have opted for a local - general anaesthetics make me sick. Hope it gets less painful soon.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, I meant with no anesthetic AT ALL! How can he expect to unscrew four screws fom bone and it not to hurt like hell???

She asked about a local in hospital but given the overall picture the anesthatist opted for general so she was lightly asleep but he had the option of putting her under for longer should he need to. There was a possibilty that further procedures would be needed once the metal was out.
latest report
homers double, yes, I realised that was what you meant - hence the shocked face. I am a great fan of anaesthetics. At the dentist I always urge them to err on the side of too many injections, but I prefer locals if it's at all possible, because of the side effects (for me) of a general. Wrists are complicated joints - I hope it makes a full recovery.
snow report
pam w, AWESOME pictures! snowHead
snow report
homers double,

After I broke my wrist in a bike crash, I had the external fixations removed with no anaesthetic after 3.5 months Shocked , I was surprised but it actually didn't hurt much at all, it felt really weird though as they unscrewed the bolts! I have to say though that I got so fed up with falling on it when I was learning I gave up skiing for years because it hurt so much.
latest report
pam w, What lovely photos, they brought a smile to my face. Smile
snow conditions
meh, Surely avoiding death is a high? bad news about the car though.

pam w, lovely pics,

homers double, hope mrs homers double's wrist heals soon
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
No lows except that it is over for another year...
+1

Cacciatore, oh dear. Hope you get fixed.

pam w, cute!
ski holidays
Highs: both our kids really progressing in their second season, eg spending the final afternoon of the fam hol skiing at a really good pace all over the mountain with them. son learning the joys of a parallel stop and showering daddy with snow, and also confidently and in a controlled fashion skiing his first black piste (important psychological step). another great week with the guys in meribel, enjoying wall-to-wall sunshine and completing the escapade in a day. finally getting all the guys to (almost) love moguls/ steeps thanks to 4hrs ski lesson and the resulting lack of whingeing when faced with steep pistes.

Low: hardly getting any skiing in scotland despite insane depths, due to the continual cycle of storms blowing in. so few sundays with good weather and that's the only day i'm free.

Potential high: it ain't over yet in scotland!
latest report
Pedantica, thanks Smile
ski holidays
Cacciatore, fingers crossed for you.
snow report
Highs: Finally getting the powder thing. OMG. Not falling off a single mountain poma all season. Doing a couple of reds without injury or shame. Finally figuring out how to dismount chairs in a dignified fashion. Being able to see the views the people who don't ride planks don't get to see. Shaking off The Fear. Getting 9-10 days mountain time for the grand total of 1 days leave through careful manipulation of weekends.

Lows: Having to sit on the cold, windy as all hell slow chair to *get* the powder thing. Satan's drag lift. Icy downhill landings at the top of chairs. Orange snow. The fact it's over at the end of April. Bum bruises from the early season ice. Landing on my face after a guy spent the entire chair ride trying to push me off it, then succeeding at offload. Still having exceptionally painful feet.

Loved it all Smile
ski holidays
It's almost all type 1 or 2 fun*

only real downers would be:

1. Mr "Auslanders" for having a bad attitude about one of our group not being quite as rad as Mr "Auslanders" rated himself as being
2. Getting a Norwegian speeding ticket - effin expensive! Shocked

* type 1 fun = conventional fun
type 2 fun = pain in the ar5e at the time, but creates a good story for the pub afterwards and/or makes you appreciate the warmth and comfort of the pub all the more
ski holidays
High: Getting almost the first lifts up to the Blackcomb Glacier and having THE BEST run down that I've ever had, in boot-top powder on my second day in W/B this March. snowHead

Low: catching the 'flu on my 5th day in W/B this March and not being able to ski for the remaining 8. Sad (It could have been worse: Mrs A succumbed immediately on arrival and couldn't ski at all).
latest report
Quote:

type 2 fun = pain in the ar5e at the time, but creates a good story for the pub afterwards and/or makes you appreciate the warmth and comfort of the pub all the more

Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
High, not leaving any of the kids at the airport on route to the slopes this year.

No lows, still recovering from last years low, leaving a kid at the airport.

High, getting on the Mayrhofen slopes today and riding powder all day when we I expected slush.
snow conditions
JimboS,
Quote:

leaving a kid at the airport

You didn't really. Did you? Shocked
ski holidays
When you have six kids its not that difficult, but it was actually due to an out of date passport. It did all end welish with the left kid heading out on a ski holiday a week later. There is a thread about it somewhere.
latest report
Highs

50cm of cold blower powder in Andermatt in February. One of the best days skiing I have ever had and probably ever will have.

Friend skiing into an electric fence somewhere on the back of the Bellecote. No major damage done, either to her or the fence. There's always agricultural equipment somewhere on the mountain.

Lows

Minor foot injury and groin strain following an idiotic fall in the Giraffe. I don't bounce like I used to.
snow conditions
Highs-perfect pistes on a November ski testing session in Zermatt,
Winning a ski holiday to Verbier in April...
Low-thin snow cover on our off piste course in St Anton in January
High-feeling like a proper off piste ski dude after hiking to the top of the Maroi Kopf in St Anton and skiing down.
Lows-doing constant battle with the Marker Griffon bindings on my skis if I fell and they came off. Drove me nuts! Felt a total idiot.
High-the Underground bar every day in St Anton and encounters with the awesome and scary Joan....

High-discovering Grimentz and Zinal and being on the inaugural public cable car linking the 2.

Higher still....Japan, and skiing the trees in Hakuba Cortina....
Testing Liberty Helix skis in the trees in Cortina and loving them on and off piste....

Skiing the trees in Cortina...(Japan)
Skiing the trees in Cortina... Ditto
Low-not being able to transfer to Myoko for the last couple of days in Japan because of the epic snowstorm that swept the country.

Doing the Laub in Engelberg..on my new Liberty Envy skis and realising why I had bought them...

...did I mention skiing the trees in Cortina?

Low....having to miss my last week of skiing (it being the prize winning ski holiday to Verbier) as a result of an extended work commitment..

High-.....skiing the trees in Cortina.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
He cried bitterly when we brought him in, as the adults needed a hot chocolate!

Good lad. Quite right.

Is that the little wolf?
snow conditions
Low - knocking a ski off against a pylon on chairlift on first day of year

High - well generally been ok since. Even the low was compensated by chattting to pretty female lifty at the top while gaper me waited for my ski to be sent up.
ski holidays
Quote:

Is that the little wolf?

fatbob, yes, on the toboggan. snowHead
ski holidays
Highs:
1. Getting Junior through his Fleche
2. Getting first turns on the Comma couloir x2, Dent de Crolles x2 and Pravouta x1. To put that into perspective these are very very popular routes locally. It is a bit like getting first turns in the ENSA, Pas de Chèvre and Aiguillette des Posettes in a single season. People have bought houses by the foot of the comma couloir climb to get first turns... but they will have to improve their climbing speed for next season wink
3. Only skiing good snow
4. Ticked off at least one new route
5. Revisiting some old routes
6. Skiing the phantom village before it is dynamited this summer
7. Cycling up to le Revard from home with my cross country skis then skiing
8. Seeing new born sled dog puppies
9. No snow in the valley and nice and warm
10. Beating super fast cycling partner at cross country skiing on the feared Chicken Gulch climb - that shocked him
11. Not killing myself, or having any near death experiences, to date... Confused
12. Not trashing my skis despite the marginal snow cover
13. Following the Grande Odyssee
14. No-one injuring themselves on the two days I led for the local ski mountaineering club

Lows: aka 1st world problems
1. Poor start to the season until early Jan
2. Poor finish to the season
3. Too warm, lack of snow cover at lower altitudes
4. Ski buddies not motivated to get out and ski when the conditions were good
5. Too much time revisiting old routes
6. Too much time spent teaching the local school kids to cross country ski, or at least to not kill each other
7. Thinking I'd set some cross-country KoMs only to find other friends had been out in the morning on gone faster
8. Catching bronchitus at the end of March
ski holidays

9. Fat lass cried off the ski off with some continued "injuries"
ski holidays
Highs:

Two WONDERFUL runs down La Face in Val, got to the bottom with the biggest grin on my face
Winning ski boots and having them fitted by Pro Feet. Absolutely delighted!
A fantastic afternoon playing in the spring snow in Saalbach
Two great apres sessions in the Hinterhag Alm in Saalbach
Many laughs and good times

Lows:

Catching a virus in Saalbach and missing a bluebird day
Catching a stomach bug in Val and missing a bluebird day
Somehow ending up doing the long blue 2b run in Saalbach when I was exhausted and had wanted to download! The bottom section was sheet ice and moguls, and horrible! I was too tired to do anything other than slog down it.
ski holidays
Highs:

FINALLY rode the Couloir DouDou, which has been on the list for about 5 years
Got to ride at La Grave
Passed the EMS
Got 360s down

Lows:
Seemingly went backwards on rails/boxes
Got injured and missed the second half of the season, which may well lead to a further low of missing/failing a bunch of instructor exams... Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy