Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pressure point on feet - will heat molding help?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

So I'm testing out a pair of Burton Hails and 32 Lashed boots (got both, intending to return one). I really like the feel of the Burton Hails - they fit nice and tight everywhere, but after wearing them around the house for about 2 hours i feel some pain on my outer forefoot.

It's basically due to my foot being weird - there's a wide spot right where the little toe ends. It's something like this (this is NOT my foot - it was taken from another skiHead's thread haha):

my foot isn't as wide as this, but the pressure point is in the same area.

My question is - will heat molding or boot fitting help get rid of this? Like I said the Hail's fit me nice and snug everywhere else EXCEPT for this area. The 32 Lashed (which are the second most comfortable pair) don't have any pressure points on me, but I feel like they are a little looser and don't fit quite as well. I've also heard that 32 boots fall apart more easily which is why I'm trying to get the Hails to work.

Thanks![/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SnowHailRain, welcome to slushnts . . . have you considered swimming as an alternative sport? Shocked

Talk to Colin at http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk for some proper advice, he is ski focussed but knows feet and certainly knows how to make the trinity of foot/liner/boot work together.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How's your skiing coming on Booty?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60655
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yup, that's him Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fitting / moulding will, for sure, help with the hotspot. This could include stretching out the boot sideways at the point where your foot is widest.

SmallZooKeeper* of these parts is also a good fitter (although don't tell him you're buying Burton or 32... you're likely to get abuse). He stretched out a set of Deeluxe Spark boots in the same area for me. Just bought a new set of Salomon Malamutes from him the other week, really happy with them.

*Think he changed username, is that the new one or the old one?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Stevomcd did you need the same toe box stretch work on the new malamutes compared to the last sparks?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No, which really surprised me. I've tried Malamutes before and not even been able to get my foot into the boot. Have Salomon changed the shape of their last for snowboard boots recently?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When i bought my Salamons (6 or 7 years ago) they were tagged as a wide fitting, the guy in the shop basically said Salamons were well known for being a narrow fit at the time so the chain had bought 'wides' to make them fit more people. A year or so after I bought them I seem to remember hearing that they'd made all of their ranges a bit wider, ie closer to the norm.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yup I actually tried a pair of 2013 Salomon Factions today in a half-size smaller than the Hail's, and I didn't have the same problems i did even though the Salomons are supposed to be narrow. GO figure...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree, I have some Salomon girls entry level boots (Pearl, I think) from the 12/13 range that were wider than the Nike alternatives which are supposed to be wide. If it wasn't for the rubbish lacing system they'd be pretty comfortable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnowHailRain,
Those feet belong in 'Middle Earth' Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you have pain, heating them may be a last resort option but my experience on owning three pairs of 32 Team 2s over the years is I heated one pair and had a season or two of pain, and having let the other pairs mold naturally with use these were fine. Also having had two identical pairs of tele boots (one pair "fitted" and heated and one not) the same happened. I guess I'm no fan of heat molding....

PS: I'm on my second pair of malamutes, super stiff and good for an old guy not park, and they're easily the most comfortable boots I've ever had. Straight from the off. Always go for one size up on UK sizing.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stevomcd I spent more than a few hours trying the malamutes on the season before and found the same as you but I did,nt use them, it was just at the ski Show.
Finding them in the uk to try on is still not easy it would be very interesting to know how they worked out in your use after 60 days or something like that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tirol 164, I've had 7 days on them so far, really impressed!

Started with the inner laces very loose (they are STIFF!) while the broke-in a little, but now riding them done-up tight.

mick dundee, this: "Always go for one size up on UK sizing." suggests to me why you don't like heat-moulding - your boots are too big!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SnowHailRain wrote:
Yup I actually tried a pair of 2013 Salomon Factions today in a half-size smaller than the Hail's, and I didn't have the same problems i did even though the Salomons are supposed to be narrow. GO figure...

I have the factions and they are great, i have slightly wide feet, not like in the picture but wider than the norm for size 10, and the factions havent given me any probs ever.

Also prior to the Factions i had a pair of 32 lashed and had no problems with them, they didnt fall apart and were very nice fitting boots only things is they felt harder/stiffer than the factions.
ski holidays
Quote:

mick dundee, this: "Always go for one size up on UK sizing." suggests to me why you don't like heat-moulding - your boots are too big!

Only on Malamutes. I'm a 9 in all other boots but shop staff said size up on the Malamutes and they have been right twice. Wife has Salomon in correct size so it's not necessarily a Salomon thing. Sorry if this confused the issue.
snow report
Fair enough!

Mine are UK7. I wear an 8 in most shoes, but that's probably because I like my trainers baggy...

I got mine fitted by a pro boot fitter. Have to admit to being sceptical about this in the past, but I'm now a bit of a convert.
snow report
Stevomcd, So how did the new fit malamutes work out after months of use ?
snow conditions
Tirol 164, they've been great. Definitely the best boots I've owned. My only slight complaints are that the lacing system comes loose more often than on other boots I've had and that the "pockets" which hold the plastic stiffeners in place have worn through in a couple of places. Otherwise they're awesome and still look / feel good-as-new.
latest report
Did the zookeepers choose and heat fit this pair or did you just try them buy them and ride the liner in normaly ?

I ask since I remember your deelux last pair and zoos photos of them being widened and you seem too have had no width or footpain issues here?
You should put a rular in mm across your forefoot sometime to see aprox how many mm over 100mm wide it is in relation too the length of foot in mm ?

I was all set on a pair of malamute boots since it seems certain the last changed in the forefoot .Then I injured my leg so now I,m done .
(the injury has spooked the firmer boot idea at the moment maybe for ever.)
My usual suspect stores TSA an S and R didn't have malamutes to try this 13/14 season .... yours are 13 or 14 models right? with the crisscross lace at the top ?

Is that upper crisscross lock block the loose lace culprit or the upper and lower lace lock hooks ?
My salomons laces do loosen from time to time Its not ideal seems to be the top lock block but its not problem one either.
I relace most days anyway once warmed up.

I think you were probaly right in replying to the above older post the malamute boot will still hold a foot in a oversized boot because of the ankle strap to a degree?

Ten years ago I had to buy oversized malamutes to gain width (no other boots late season) so went riding..... the internal strap did alot of the work stabilising my foot but it was ultimately a bad boot fit .
snow report
Tirol 164, they were moulded by SZK. Custom footbeds too.

They are this season's model - i.e. 2013/14. It's the upper lace block which comes loose on me, but not a huge problem.

By a very unscientific measuring process, my feet are about 100mm wide at the widest point. Very short though - only a 26.5 / UK7.
latest report
Thanks for getting back.
I wanted to know since I,m very similar sz with cems custom footbeds in lesser flex salomons.

My feet are wider though more 110-115mm weighted with no insoles ankles bent, pronating.

I roughly measured the new malamutes forefoot interior shell area (ballpark check) normally I know roughly what works in practise with my foot width and flexion but liners insoles are part of it.
These new mutes will work but must see if my leg gets better or are worn out for good otherwise I wont handle the flex.

I was thinking that new 2014 lace block would be a improvement perhaps salomon will change it up again in the next season.
That top lacelock is the third version since 05/06

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 9-04-14 13:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
OK, on a more accurate, weighted measurement, my feet are more like 115mm!

I'm injured at the moment as well, torn calf muscle.
snow conditions
Very frustrating being in resort injured but as its your muscle I guess its just a time and treatment care setback.
Was it from not warming up or going straight into it cold at speed or high force ?

I had a great powder season my most pow days ever now I cant even walk properly I think the knee is shot to bits .
Boots were a challenge learning to get better fit now I have to learn about worn out knees, its the body now Shocked
ski holidays
Tirol 164, really random injury.

I couldn't have been more warmed-up. I'd done a Yoga class in the morning, had breakfast, gone up the mountain, taught a lesson for 2 hours, then went to the park. Had done 5 or 6 runs already, then landed a frontside 3, nice clean landing, no worries and my muscle just popped. Not happy!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy