Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Connection of the Monterosa ski and the Matterhorn

Poster: A snowHead
Just seen this.....

A prodject is going on to connect the Monterosa ski and the Matterhorn!

It will be the Canadian company Ecosign Mountain Resort Planners how will be in charge of the project.

The master plan - which will include solutions for possible links with the skis , on foot and road - will be delivered by the end of December 2014.

http://www.aostasera.it/articoli/2014/04/7/31147/collegamento-fra-i-comprensori-del-monterosa-e-del-cervino-puo-partire-lo-studio (in Italian)

Google translate says:

Connection of the Monterosa ski and the Matterhorn , can leave the study

Valtournenche - Will the Canadian company Ecosign Mountain Resort Planners Ltd. Whistler to conduct the study urban planning and environmental analysis of the effects of spatial and socio-economic integration of transport between Zermatt and Valtournenche , Ayas and Gressoney

It will be the Canadian company Ecosign Mountain Resort Planners Ltd. in Whistler (British Columbia / Canada) to conduct the study urban planning and environmental analysis of the effects of spatial and socio-economic integration of transport between Zermatt and Valtournenche , Ayas and Gressoney. The company was awarded the contract to EUR 149,485.31 with a fall of 37 % or € 94175.75 .

The master plan - which will include solutions for possible links with the skis , on foot and road - will be delivered by the end of December 2014. Later will be brought to the examination of the four municipalities, which will have to decide what choices to take and look for funding.

The initiative is part of the Interreg project Alplinks .

Editorial Aostasera
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So you can ski down the Matterhorn? Well I never. Best done on rentals I think.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks very interesting! I was in Zematt this week and I read about it there in an interview with the ceo of Zermatt bergbahnen. I had no clue that they had set a date though Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Doesn't sound like a short-term project to me!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah, I'm sorry. I think I misread. The date is for the delivery of the study? So you're right that it's not that short-term ;p
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dogwatch, You can but remember your parachute
http://youtube.com/v/ykXT4Nivn60
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^

Thanks, I still reckon it would best be done on rentals.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Doesn't sound like a short-term project

As I mentioned earlier, it was first discussed (at least!) in the 70s... so no, not a short term thing at all!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like one of those projects that gets discussed whne there is a property development in the offing but never comes to anything
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100, such things rarely arrive with a funded ~€100k price tag for the feasibility study...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Presumeably the link to Champoluc valley would be by turning left at the short 4 person chaillift on the way down to Valtournenche ?

Coming back up would need a long two or three stage lift so doesn't look that impoossible. Terrain looks quite gentle on google maps and faces south east, but no idea about wind exposure etc.

The Lago di Rollin tarn looks usefully sited to provide a supply of water for snow making snowHead

the problem with this sort of proposal is the extreem height of the connecting ridges which will make links unreliable in windy weather. Would potentially create a new very long run with big vertical however.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter S, i think the original idea was for a funicular, underground to avoid wind problems. The Cime Bianca from Cervinia (Valtournenche?) is a well known ski route although my Mrs has done it but not since she was a kid.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a 'poster' on the link below :: with a 'bit' more info (and it is in English..)

http://www.fondazionemontagnasicura.org/asset/poster_alplinks_v3.pdf
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ahhh, so it's Zermatt that's driving it? interesting...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Doesn't actually say how the link would be made on that poster. I thought the tunnel idea was between Saas fee and Zermatt ?
snow report
Peter S, no, it was back in the 70s (?) or 80s (?) that the idea of a funicular was thrown into the mix. In the end they (Champoluc) decided to link into Gressoney & thus Alagna.
latest report
Mis-translated. Got all excited there.

Feasibility study is supporting idea of a funicular from the Cime Bianca lift in Valtournenche, directly into Champoluc, bypassing the troublemaking St Jacques opposition.

http://www.neveitalia.it/ski/cervinia/sci.php?name=News&file=article&permalink=gli-esperti-dicono-si-al-collegamento-tra-cervinia-e-il-monte-rosa

Results of study been/being presented in the various communes recently/shortly.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy