Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Piste Side Food/Apres - Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Ischgl 19th - 26th can anyone recommend any places that have good food at reasonable prices? Also where is best for 4 mid twenties lads to go out in the evening preferably not full of German/Scandinavian men....if possible!?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just got back. Most huts seemed pretty reasonable. Hollkar €25 for two pizza, beer and water. Enjoyed self service at paznauner thaya-good daily specials. Can't help with nightlife but suspect you may struggle to find such a venue...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skandi guys beating you to all the girls or something?

There's a Pacha club in Ischgl, but (though I've never been) I'd assume it's stupid expensive and as god-awful as most big commercial type clubs tend to be.

I haven't been out at night in Ischgl for over 5 years, but there was a bar called Fire and Ice that was pretty fun. Hotel Elizabeth (I think) is fun for apres, but there will be Germans, Dutch and Skandis, so you'll have competition for the Skandi girls Laughing

Most places on the hill have good food at reasonable prices, my favourite is the one near the end of the 'Smugglers Run' to Samnaun, crazy decor inside.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, Blastfromthepast, Cheers I was just hoping for it to not be a Sausage-fest that's all! Glad to hear that there are indeed some women haha.
I fear the Germanic hordes this weekend as the popular German rap group Fettes Brot are doing the Top of the Mountain concert on the 20th hopefully they will be just there for the weekend and the pistes will be quiet during the week NehNeh

Looking forward to the food, as the last time I visited Austria it was really good - mind that was Soll and the Gulasch there is something else.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AthersT, given that Ischgl is popular with blokes and with Germans I think you'd better just relax about sharing your bar space with German blokes.

As for good bars the après at Schatzis at Hotel Elizabeth is lots of fun, as is Niki's Stadl (in a madcap way), Trofana Alm also does full on après as indeed does Kuhstall and Kitzloch. The Post has a busy nightclub for later. There are numerous other bars too. What they will generally have a fair amount of, and I put this down to the location, is Austrian and German customers. And being bars. In a ski town. And that ski town being Ischgl there will be plenty of blokes.

For food on the mountain try Paznauner Thaja.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AthersT, don't forget your Spyder/ Bogner gear, they like a bit of shiny ski clobber in Ischgl!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pacha is full of men looking at the dancers who have just finished work at the Ice bar. The men perked up when the blinds were opened for a few minutes to show them what they were missing in Coyote Ugly Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen, I don't mind the Germans - more as I said I was hoping for a mix but I guess not. Maybe I should of phrased it just men. Oh well. Thanks for the tip for Paznauner Thaya - I've had several recommendations for there so will defo give it a try.

Markymark29, I have a Westbeach jacket reckon that's gonna do or do I need to up my game?

margaret, Pacha sounds fun but we have that in England so i'm not sure how long we will be spending in there.

I'm making myself sound like I'm not excited but I actually cannot wait to get out there!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AthersT, it is a bit bloke heavy, but most ski resorts are. Some of the bars are a bit more sleazy than others (none of the ones I mentioned, though some punters can get a little confused in Schatzis). But there are plenty of girls looking for a fun night out too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AthersT, you'll be fine, was just messing!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am out there on the 23rd April for my fourth week this year! (We do not need to put our glasses on for the lift map? Just ski it.) It is a great place, pistes are expertly maintained, the people who ski ischgl are great, not on ego trips, food is good and we do not feel ripped off. But it is a tad expensive. We are on our oap lift passes but we still have fun both on the slopes and with après ski. We find it to be good snow sure skiing, with lots of nice people, and not sleasy. I am there for Robbie Very Happy just remember that the skiing is great, the pisteurs work so hard to make
Us happy. There are women there, and most much younger than me!!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good to hear margaret, I'm very excited now - with the new snow this week and the forecast snow to come (hopefully) conditions should be great for both of us!
It's my birthday on the 26th so were going out the last night (25th) to celebrate hopefully. Luckily the flight home isn't until about 3pm so should make it to the airport on time Razz Have a great time!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Today the snow cannons were working! Snow yesterday too. We were there two weeks ago, it was very warm but the piste management was second to none. Do not be afraid to download on the lifts midway if it is warm. Do a couple of good runs up in the mountains instead with good snow. Very Happy have a happy birthday, we may bump in to you.......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ischgl tends to have 3 distinct parts to the evening; apres ski (4-Cool, dinner (8-10), clubbing (10-).

Apres Ski - Silvretta side
- Trofana Alm => mixed crowd and main season rammed like a rush-hour Northern Line train.
- Kuhstall => probably your best bet age and M/F ratio wise, just a little young for us (late 30's/early 40's).
- The one next door to the Kuhstall => reasonable M/F ratio BUT a much older crowd, possibly the parents of those in the Kuhstall!
- The one next door to that => OK mix, just not very good.

Apres Ski - Fimba/Pardatsch side
- Elisabeth bar => if you like 5 (clothed) girls dancing on the bar, surrounded by 200 men this is the place for you...
- Niki's Stadl => usually a bit crap for apres ski, more of an evening bar.
- Kitzloch => Good mix, better Williams mit Birne but can be more 30's than 20's but a lot depends on who's in town that week.

Dinner
We've eaten all over Ischgl and prices are similar, expensive but not too bad for a ski resort.

- Steak place on the Silvretta side was good.
- There's a few restaurants just past the tunnel on the Silvretta side, past the Burger King. My memory gets hazy here but there's two in a corner with a shared door. The one upstairs was meh but the one in the basement is good, if only for the trippy decoration.
- Kitzloch, post apres ski. This place closes as an apres ski bar ~7:30 and re-opens ~8:00 as a restaurant. GET THE RIBS!

On the mountain, most's fine. Nothing special but prices are cheap (for skiing). The one exception is the place on the Swiss side by lifts M1 and M2, left of Alp Trida on the map. It's just half a chicken, a bread roll and some caleslaw but boy is it good!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Out of topic here - but - has anyone tried the new lift and run from Piz Val Gronda.
How good is it?
latest report
Quote:

It's just half a chicken, a bread roll and some caleslaw but boy is it good!

That's the Alp Bella. They rear the chicken themselves. Queue up outside and you can only get bread with it but you can queue up inside and get chips as you can in the waiter service bit. Chicken doesn't come better.

Got the Piz Val Gronda last month. Its an awfully big lift for one run. I can only imagine they're going to develop more. As for the run the first half is a decent red but the second is flat - think the smuggler's run into Samnaum and you'll get the idea. Did it once but didn't rush back.
ski holidays
Corky wrote:

Got the Piz Val Gronda last month. Its an awfully big lift for one run. I can only imagine they're going to develop more.

Not as far as I'm aware; I'm pretty sure it was built to open up new free ride/offpiste terrain.
ski holidays
Sounds feasible as I didn't hear of anything planned. However, it takes 150 people and 1300 per hour. If fully utilised there would be as many people off piste as on.
snow report
The Piz Val Gronda area was a really popular ski touring/off piste spot prior to the lift being constructed - the Heidelberger Hutte being the start/end/lunch spot of choice for the mountain on the other side (away from Ischgl).
So as clarky999 says the lift was almost purely to open up the mountain for its fantastic freeride/off piste terrain - I hope to give it a try after we arrive tomorrow at some point.
snow conditions
One complaint you often see about Ischgl is that "Ischgl doesn't have much off piste", usually prefixed with "I've never been but heard that..." so they may just be making access easier to that off piste area.
latest report
I was told that they had permission granted and had to use it. More runs to follow later. Also, I may be imagining it, a link to St Anton?
ski holidays
Fresh tracks above the pisted Piz Val Gronda run last Tuesday, some of them mine ...

snow report
moffatross, Nice off piste but the actual piste looks pretty flat (and narrow). Is it that bad? Would I walk on the board? hehe Very Happy

margaret, From what I read - there are not allowed any more runs and the off piste direct from the station supposed to be banned and fenced.
It is the neighbour - Kappl - which they plan to connect to St Anton Rendl side.
But that will be a bus ride from Ischgl first. I don't think there are any plans then to connect Kappl to Ischgl as there are on the opposite sides of the valley.

As for the expansion of Ischgl - I think there are plans for one or two new chairs plus runs on the Samnaun side (Ravaischer Salaas I think).
ski holidays
Yep, Tom W, that pisted run needs a schuss, a skate and a pole to make progress in its last 1/3. I'm also told that some of the longest and most satisfying OP runs off the Piz Val Gronda, are out of sight, over the hill to the right on the slopes leading down towards the Heidelberger Hutte.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy