Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot flex change with use?

Poster: A snowHead
I know flex isn't standard across ski boot manufacturers, but I'm pretty sure my 110 flex Head Vector alpine boots shouldn't feel as soft as my 85 flex Dynafit Zzeus touring boots!

Got my 110 flex Head Vectors at the beginning of the 12/13 season and I've skied them about 12 weeks. Just got back from 2 weeks in Whistler, and by the end of the trip they felt too flexy and I could see the lowed shell expanding width-ways, almost buckling when I flexed and could feel it pressing on the top of the midfoot and front of the ankle as the shell deformed.

Do boots really lose their flex? Comparing them to my Dynafit Zzeus, with a boot on each foot, they feel similar in flex now, but the Heads were definitely stiffer when I got them.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It does, and not to mention, outside temperature influences stiffness too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm taking the outside temp into account, and even on a cold day when powder skiing, they still felt like they were too soft.

I suppose it gives me an excuse to buy a new pair for next season Wink

The next logical question is, therefore, what is the life of a pair of boots in terms of weeks of skiing, as it seems like I may have worn these out in only 12 weeks of, admittedly hard skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
feef, are they buckled up to a similar extent?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, quite simply, yes. I've tried to make the comparison as like for like as possible. It's a long time since I was in the trade so am not as up-to-date with the tech as I used to be (20 years ago). None of my boots from back then felt this soft nor changed so much in flex over a couple of seasons use.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
feef, it somewhat surprises me too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef, it could be the liner perhaps? I have just tried my Intuition liners into my boots and it has made a massive difference to the flex (stiffened). Prior to this my boots were flexing as you describe, could see movement widthwise and the ankle clip would touch the instep clip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef, my old ones had got stiffer as the old plastic had stiffened up and I needed to go up several grades to find a pair that were stiffer than what my old ones had become. I can easily see the reverse being possible!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's hard to say what's lifetime. I manage to get through winter with my race boots, and easily through 3 or 4 seasons with boots I have for work, even though I spend more time in second boots then in race boots. I expect rock hard boot from plug boots, so when they get soft, you feel it really good, and that's time to get new pair. But yes, as I wrote, they got softer with usage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Flex is universal, at least in the experience i've had, boots flex should remain the same for 30,000 flexes, that range of motion is tested through 10°
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CH2O wrote:
Flex is universal, at least in the experience i've had, boots flex should remain the same for 30,000 flexes, that range of motion is tested through 10°

So what you're saying is more straightlining/less turning = better wink

To the OP - I'm in Vectors too and almost certainly put more force through them than you. I've not noticed a performance tail off on older boots yet but then I'm used to fairly soft boots. The clog/overlap has always deformed sligfhtly under flex however.

My liners are getting annoyingly worn through at the heel though
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had this on a pair of garmonts, in my case they were too high off my foot (in the ankle region), they bent out really far and felt super soft once the liner packed out. might just be the boot doesnt fit the shape of your foot right?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm in ladies Head Vectors. I don't know about the men's ones, but IIRC the marketing blurb the ladies ones are supposedly comprised of 3 different types of plastic, and are softer in places to assist with putting them on, this might make them feel different when trying them on, but perhaps they are stiff where it counts. I must admit I don't find mine particularly stiff in the plastic at the front opening, but when fully on they are responsive enough esp. when tightened around that good stiff liner that mine seem to have. The men's boots might have similar qualities?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef, another thing that has just occurred to me - the ladies Vectors have an adjustable flex in them and I expect the men's do too. You do have the correct extra lug installed to get the full stiffness don't you?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I could see the lowed shell expanding width-ways, almost buckling when I flexed

This, to me means that you are not filling the ankle section (especially the top) of the boot! maybe new liners or even shims/heel lift. I dont think it'll be a weakening issue or something stiffening the tongue/heel will fix, if it can flex out and it's not crushing the top of your foot then theres too extra space in there
snow conditions
dulcamara, feef, FWIW my Vectors also came with two heel fitting shims that could be introduced to take up space in the heel area - I have both fitted in both boots and they did make a difference.
ski holidays
plastics will change with age, some get a little stiffer some a little softer, but most of the change will probably be the padding of the liner breaking down and becoming mushy, most overlap boots will have some degree of shell distortion when flexing, closer fitting stiffer models less than soft plant pot lasted boots but essentially boots flex by deformation be it of the spine of the lower shell or the cuff compressing the top of the lower shell, the snugger the fit the less the distortion, an aftermarket liner such as zipfit will fill up some of the volume and reduce the deformation a little, equally a volume reducer under the footbed may do a similar job but will be a little less permanent as the low grade foams used in the normal liner construction will continue to break down over time... adding the heel batons will increase the grip around the Achilles but nowhere else in the boot.
snow conditions
The stiffness is at it's highest, I suppose it could be the liner breaking down, but I'd still have expected it to last more than 12 weeks.

I might pop in to see you CEM, at some point over the summer, although I'm tempted to replace the boots with some AT/backcountry boots for next season anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy