Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent skiing anywhere in mid May?

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be completing my manuscript in mid May and reward myself with an overdue ski trip.
Is there any decent spring skiing option in mid May in the Northern hemisphere?
I live on the East coast of the US, so flying to Europe is certainly as good an option as to flying to the Rockies.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have skied in Geilo Norway before in May and the snow as fine. The prices not so fine though as Norway is very expensive - so I recommend self catering if you can!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zermatt should still have skiing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just book the time and fly to somewhere like Geneva or Zurich or Munich.

Somewhere not too far from one of these hubs will have snow and great skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd check on resort closing dates before booking a plane ticket. In the Alps, Val d'Isere has the highest skiing but the season closes on 4 May before opening for summer skiing in June. I love Val and go often but it's slushy at the bottom of the pistes even now - my husband is out there this week.

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/top-10s/top-10-late-season-ski-resorts-europe/

You can go summer skiing on glaciers from May or June onwards, here are some recommendations: http://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/107223/top-summer-ski-resorts-in-europe---north-america

I've not done summer skiing myself, though I remember as a teenager seeing it done on the Jungfrau in Switzerland. I've just googled these for you as I feel for your snow-less, desk-bound state!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It's been a bad year for snow coverage in a lot of the Alps and ongoing above average temps for forseeable future. I would gove Europe a skip this May and come next year
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Or wait another month or so and head to the Southern Hemisphere, depending on how their snow looks early season. As has been said, it's not been the best of seasons in Europe, and by May a lot of resorts will have closed, or have reduced skiing, so you'd be looking at a glacier resort really such as Hintertux etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A Basin will probably be going past 4 July
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
peanuthead, + 1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
peanuthead, not quite right...

It's been an excellent and above average year for snow coverage in Haute Savoie and Savoie, France above 1,500m (after a slightly delayed start) and in Northern Italy.

My next door neighbour in Chamonix, who is a high mtn guide, was raving about conditions last week.

The Grands Montets last Sunday were in terrific shape and will happily remain so until closing day, May 4.

We drove up to Champoluc last night and I have never seen snow so low and so late in 14 years of regular trips throughout each season.

Feck, there's even still neves on the Saleve as I look out of my office window. Never seen that in April.

But for the OP, hmmm, most things close by mid-May. Grands Montets, 4/5/2014 (european date format), Cervinia 4/5/2014, Tignes 11/5/2014... Austria? Hintertux glacier?

OP do you tour? Maybe some guided touring would work?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Riksgransen in North Sweden, I've been up there twice, think season finishes in June, also they have heli up there as well if you want to really treat yourself Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
peanuthead, not quite right...

It's been an excellent and above average year for snow coverage in Haute Savoie and Savoie, France above 1,500m (after a slightly delayed start) and in Northern Italy.

My next door neighbour in Chamonix, who is a high mtn guide, was raving about conditions last week.

The Grands Montets last Sunday were in terrific shape and will happily remain so until closing day, May 4.

We drove up to Champoluc last night and I have never seen snow so low and so late in 14 years of regular trips throughout each season.

Feck, there's even still neves on the Saleve as I look out of my office window. Never seen that in April.

But for the OP, hmmm, most things close by mid-May. Grands Montets, 4/5/2014 (european date format), Cervinia 4/5/2014, Tignes 11/5/2014... Austria? Hintertux glacier?

OP do you tour? Maybe some guided touring would work?

True the Southern Alps have been inundated and when I was in the Dolomites in early March I could not believe the depth of snow - you could not see the view from the road due to the 2 - 3m high banks of white stuff. But as you say, touring might be the only possibility if the resort is shut.

NB Tignes is deffo closing on 4 May not 11 May, same as Val d'Isere. Again you might have some touring but there is less snow this year and off-piste has been distinctly odd with a lot of powder blowing away as soon as it's fallen.

Re Sweden - my instructor is desperate to get us there, he insists that heli-skiing is "not that expensive" (rolling eyes ) due to the fact that you hire a chopper for an hour which only counts as time in the air so it can last all day. His photos from there are amazing. Looking for pennies down back of sofa even now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Violette, According to the Tignes official website the glacier at Tignes is open until 10 May, you can also buy lift tickets until then from the STGM site.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Violette, Val D always closes 1 week earlier than Tignes.

There was still some great snow to be found off piste last week. You may have to walk a little to get some fresh tracks but they are still out there wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok ta for setting me straight! wink

I did google it but obv my sources were faulty!

Hmmm. Not that busy m'self in early May.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I had to look up "touring" in google. I've been skiing all my life but have never heard of it. I don't think it's a popular concept in North America. If there is no resort option in mid-May, maybe I'll try touring. Looks like fun!
latest report
New Daddy, touring can be awesome.
latest report
New Daddy wrote:
I had to look up "touring"... I don't think it's a popular concept in North America.
Puzzled

All you need to know about kit ... http://www.wildsnow.com/

After sorting out your kit, basically hire a car, drive to a mountain pass with your 1:25K map, and go do your thang. Cool

P.S. If touring grabs you, Scotland will have options in Mid-May.
snow report
moffatross, there's a not too terrible idea wink

New Daddy, maybe not so much east coast but there's plenty of it in the Rockies
snow report
New Daddy,
It's actually very popular in North America and Canada. We've been to Winter Park a couple of times and it's very popular in the area around there; and touring is extremely popular in the areas of B.C that we've been to.

I certainly wouldn't recommend trying it on your own outside the boundaries of a ski area however (or too far from the pistes in a ski area) as you need to be aware of the avalanche risk.

Best to hire a guide, in my opinion.

Do give it a go though! Very Happy
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
It's actually very popular in North America and Canada. We've been to Winter Park a couple of times and it's very popular in the area around there; and touring is extremely popular in the areas of B.C that we've been to.

Wait. Is touring what we call backcountry skiing here? Then, oh yes, we have lots of it in North America.
I somehow got the impression that the "European touring" is something different.
ski holidays
New Daddy, hmmm. Maybe. Touring or "randonnee" is where you walk up the hill on skis to ski down again. I don't think (!) backcountry implies walking up necessarily.
snow conditions
Quote:

Touring or "randonnee" is where you walk up the hill on skis to ski down again

That's certainly what I did on my "introduction to touring" day. Using skins and skis with bindings which allow the heel to lift for the walking up hill bit and clip down for the downhill bit. I only did a little bit and enjoyed it very much BUT I wouldn't have done it without a guide. We were miles from any lifts (we got to the starting point in a van).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy