Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you French fry when you should have pizza'd

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Whatever he is shouting is irrelevant as he has put the kid in huge danger by taking him so far out of his comfort and skill zone.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you pam w, some clearly believe that state education fails every time probably based on their own experience rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skinanny, I can easily see it being used in the states. I am more surprised that it is apparently common use in the EU. Perhaps it's because my kids didn't grow up eating pizza when they were very small - wedges or otherwise!!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Since nearly every kids ski school uses the term it's really hard to use something else.

Absolutely - I quite see that. And for the same reason in Europe we use "snow plough" (or chasse-neige, or whatever) and "parallel". It makes sense to get kids accustomed from the beginning to using the same language as those they are likely to be having lessons with.

But yes, the problem in that video is not the language, just the incredible stupidity of taking that child on that run (and what's the bet none of the adults could ski it properly, either - when I see "out of their depth" kids on a slope they are invariably with "out of their depth" parents and the whole lot of them should be in ski school. There are loads of parents and grandparents who take little kids out on the slopes round here with great skill and understanding and they're all having a good time.

One does wonder what drives people to put stuff like that on YouTube.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, the part in the video that really got me was where the adult hits the kid's pole - I felt like he was going to smack the kid for being scared and crying.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm glad someone has explained the pizza/French fry references, I had no idea why the guy was shouting pizza at that little person. I thought he'd lost his marbles. Now I understand, but still think he has lost his marbles. I wonder if that child ever clicked skis on again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's pretty impressive that you guys have never made a bad judgement, and your children have never done anything inexplicable and unexpected in a stressful situation. Parenting must be easier than I'm led to believe.

EDIT: Err, oops.That's meant to be light-heartedly sarcastic rather than the aggressively sarcastic tone it actually reads like Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

your children have never done anything inexplicable and unexpected in a stressful situation.

Puzzled nobody has suggested anything of the sort. The kid did nothing inexplicable or unexpected.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How do you know? He (she?) might have been happily handling similar runs all day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My daughter loved skiing down slopes like that faster than I would have liked and I still cringe because she didn't have any idea of the consequences of coming off at that speed nor like the kid in video would she listen to slow down prompts ..... she's a little wiser and taller so she can rely on snow plough schusses any more.

PS I didn't think the slope looked very steep or intimidating, just looked like a track to me
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

your children have never done anything inexplicable and unexpected in a stressful situation

I've been thinking, and I can't think of anything that counts under that heading. I would guess that such scenarios are not common.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I watched the video and wondered why the man was trying to order a pizza. It looked more like a curry moment to me. But thanks to everyone for pointing out he should have been saying "snow plough"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What an extremely good example of poor mentoring skills. The older chap clearly needs some one to one tuition in terms of his ski-ing (a lot of sliding going on here and not a lot of carving. Communication skills, again questionable with a very debatable command of the English language. As the very inspirational Lady Thatcher once said "education,education,education". I think this chap is setting a very poor example to the young boy and deserves a good slapping. I think even at my age I would be distressed if some neanderthal was screaming some Americanisms in to my left lug hole. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
Perhaps it's because my kids didn't grow up eating pizza when they were very small - wedges or otherwise!!!

Maybe cake would work better....depends if you cut it in pizza wedges or chips shaped slices though Laughing Laughing

When the kids were small I didn't want to restrict them so let them try anything they liked the look of, but stayed close enough so that I could just ski up beside them and pick them up. Worked well and they could ski in control by the time they were too big to lift comfortably.

Made a slight error once when they got older. Tried to pick up 13 yo (down Boris!!) on a gentle green. Went a bit wrong, so when we fell I had to stop her from hurting her elbow in the snow by cushioning it with my teeth. Split lip looks like complete carnage on the snow Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thornyhill, Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy