Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What backpack / camelback for spring skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'll be heading to the alps this easter for a bit of spring skiing (I've always gone in winter before). We've got a long transfer from the chalet to the slopes so don't want to be having to return during the day to change clothes etc. So I think I'll need my ski jacket but keep it in my backpack for most of the time. Do you know of any bags that are suitable and have a water hydration pack/tube system included and space for lunch, and an 'anti-sweaty back' system would be good seeing as it will be hot?

Thanks!

mnbv
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mnbv, there are lot of rucksacks on the market with the features you describe and require. And frankly it's hard to recommend any particular one. Size wise you probably need something around 25-30l. Well known makes are Lowe Alpine, Osprey, Berghaus. Do you have some outdoor shops nearby you can check them out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wot Layne, says.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Deuter has one with a curved back that keeps well away from your jacket. Like this (although not perfectly visible on the photo). I used to have the cheap Eurohike knockoff.

http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/hiking/ac-aera-24-34714-11.html

Insert a hydration system from any brand. Decathlon ones are cheap and good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As above too. GoOutdoors seems to have a good selection of sacks. If there's one nearby then try a few and see what fits - they're all different.

I'd expand the size range a bit: 18 litres and you'll need to pick and choose what you put in there and with 32 litres you can, and probably will, pack too much. Try to keep the weight down - you'll really notice it by the end of the day.

Don't get hung up over hydration systems. A simple water bottle, eg Nalgene or even a PET, will be much less faff and you'll always know how much is left.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
altis, +1 on just taking a simple bottle.

For years I did camelbaks / platypus and had all number of disasters with them bursting (after wiping out) / loosing valve etc etc and the general faff of them.

For the last five or so years use a Camelbak Eddy Drinking Bottle 0.75 L
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
For years I did camelbaks / platypus and had all number of disasters with them
ditto but only once.
Used a cycling style Camelback and on the first chair of the day it got squeezed, wet bum..... never again.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:

For years I did camelbaks / platypus and had all number of disasters with them bursting (after wiping out) / loosing valve etc etc and the general faff of them.
L

apart from the valves not standing up to frequent use, I've not had any "disaster".

Granted, I only wipe out once or twice a day...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mnbv wrote:
So I think I'll need my ski jacket but keep it in my backpack for most of the time.

mnbv wrote:
and an 'anti-sweaty back' system would be good seeing as it will be hot?

I guess it does depend on how many layers you usually wear under your ski jacket, but it won't be that hot for the whole whole week. (Speaking as someone who always skis at Easter with the family, with the exception of the season I worked.) I always just use a small 15-20L backpack, but I'm not carrying any beeps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Get a bag with absolute MAX 20l - what on earth would you be packing for on-piste riding that would take up more space than that?!?

My 20l rucksack last week did did shovel, probe, skins, lunch, sunglasses (took up more room than I was expecting!) 3l of water and a spare fleece. Coat was strapped to the outside of the rucksack when skinning up.

I think it is probably nicer to ski in your ski jacket with just a tshirt underneath rather than hoody and no jacket?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
50% off BD packs. http://www.theepicentre.co.uk/black-diamond-m57#c206 might interest you
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use an Osprey Kode. Great pack, room for hydration and I've had excellent customer service from Osprey over the years.

It doesn't have an external pocket suitable for a bottle which is the only flaw I've noticed, but of course in cold weather they are wasted anyway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thornyhill, Laughing Laughing

You'd certainly find a few ski buddies with a pack like that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have the Deuter Race ExpAir for sking. Will carry shovel, probe, spare layer and gloves and has the water system. Only detractor is I would prefer a material shoulder strap rather than the mesh. I suppose it is for cycles!

Carries my food and kit for work everyday.

Has the aircomfort system which keeps my back cool
http://www.deuter.com/DE/en/bike/race-exp-air-32133-76.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy