Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What have you learnt about skiing at christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
So am skiing at Christmas for the first time this year, (the christmas part is the first - not the skiing part) and am very excited! Although slightly anxious about just how different it will be not having the usual routine occurring as it does at home (not saying that's a bad thing, just different I guess!). But so looking forward to skiing on christmas day!!

Would be interested to know what you would say were the things that made your christmas ski holidays memorable? Be that things you took with you that you wouldn't ever go without at christmas, how you celebrated or the skiing you did?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FiFi_Trixibell, done it a few time - we always have a family Christmas proper week before, including family presents. Christmas day for us is Santa presents for kids wink, ski morning, light lunch, bit more ski, sledging then drinks, snacks and mini Xmas dinner - we self cater. It's great and I love it!

We take a mini tree with lights (1ft) and frozen leftovers from family meal to have on day
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

the things that made your christmas ski holidays memorable?

not having "the usual routine occurring as it does at home". And no telly. None. Bliss. Blush
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have skiied Christmas a few times. Tricky to make sure Santa knew where to deliver the stuff to when the kids were smaller. Now he just buys them a ski pass Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and no presents except for tinies, as adults had all agreed that the holiday was present enough. The "work" of organising a ski holiday, even quite a complicated self catering one with two consecutive days spent doing airport transfer driving in poor weather was a mere bagatelle compared to all the weeks of "Christmas Shopping" and stressing about presents.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Love being in the mountains at Christmas. We'll be 'at home' this year, and I'm already trying to think of ways to make it more bearable. The upside is spending 4 weeks in Serre Che.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thornyhill, you leave a note before you go, he delivers late (while they;re at ski school) as he had to schedule you in last after finding the note

Simples
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
Thornyhill, you leave a note before you go, he delivers late (while they;re at ski school) as he had to schedule you in last after finding the note

Simples

no bambinos yet to worry about Santa but that's a nice idea for future years! Just myself hubby and 2 other very excited 20 somethings, and 4 slightly more relaxed, but antipatory 50+'s!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We missed this Christmas but had been skiing the previous 3. It's much better in the mountains to back home. We pretty much treat it like any other day on a ski holiday, but might push the boat out a bit more at lunch (but still a quick lunch as there's skiing to be done!). You might get some Santas out skiing. The resort may also have some festivities going on.

We take small presents for Jnr, if he has any big presents then he gets them when we get home.

We've stayed in hotels and chalets. Everyone tends to be that little bit friendlier on Christmas day itself, even though most are friendly anyway. If it's a chalet run by Brits generally they'll try to make dinner a bit different to any other night. If it's a hotel then it depends who runs it, sometimes the "Christmas" dinner can be on Christmas eve.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Remember that Xmas Eve is the special night in Europe, we booked a nice restaurant. Xmas day we had chicken rotisserie which we'd pre-ordered at the local shop which I lovingly prepared on French bread.. Yes, Xmas day chicken sandwiches and then the usual curry with the remaining meat on Boxing Day. As we drove, I stuck my slow cooker in the boot which came in very useful.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Now he just buys them a ski pass

Our 3 kids once got an envelope on Christmas Day with an "IOU" for a ski holiday in (cheaper) early January. That was their main present - they were thrilled, as they all loved skiing and they realised it was a v expensive holiday.

I love Christmas in the mountains but if I only had one week's holiday and had the option of doing it at a cheaper and less crowded time, with a better chance of good snow, I wouldn't choose Christmas. It's not as busy as New Year but not quiet either.

Hells Bells, your swap of Christmas at home for 4 weeks in the mountains is a good one!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Would be interested to know what you would say were the things that made your christmas ski holidays memorable?

The anticipation of the holiday itself replacing the dread of Christmas shopping;
No 'Fools and Horses', James Bond, Christmas Specials, wall-to-wall TV etc - in fact, no telly at all;
Not pushing an overloaded trolley around Tesco, full of stuff we don't need, won't eat, but buy 'just in case';
Not getting involved in the presents race - there's room for one present each in the suitcase, but ingenuity involved in keeping them hidden until the day;
Waking up to snow-covered pine trees and snowflakes the size of 50p pieces;
Buck's Fizz and bacon sandwiches for breakfast;
Being surrounded by happy, friendly people enjoying themselves;
When self-catering, cobbling together something that looks like a Christmas dinner - we take stuffing, a cake and a Pud, but otherwise somehow put it together from whatever the local supermarket can offer;
In catered chalets, having someone else do all the stressful stuff of preparing, cooking and serving Christmas Dinner
Falling asleep at 10pm after an active day, rather than because we're stuffed with food and booze;
No telly (have I mentioned that?) - instead, the most amazing scenery, atmosphere, fresh air, etc;

After much soul-searching, did our first Christmas away about 15 years ago. Have spent every Christmas since then in the mountains, so some comments are based on memory and observation of other people's stress.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What they said. I've spent every xmas since I could afford it in the snow. There's no need to over-eat, buy stuff no one wants, or watch mindless television.

Xmas isn't actually hugely crowded in North America - the Americans tend to stay at home then, so it's actually the cheapest time of year for some snow sports.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Hells Bells, your swap of Christmas at home for 4 weeks in the mountains is a good one!

but the thought of having to do the other stuff here is not good. I think brother-in-law will be home from Holland.

As for telly, it is brilliant not having the rubbish stuff, but we did have to stream Dr Who this time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
quinton wrote:
Quote:

Would be interested to know what you would say were the things that made your christmas ski holidays memorable?

The anticipation of the holiday itself replacing the dread of Christmas shopping;
No 'Fools and Horses', James Bond, Christmas Specials, wall-to-wall TV etc - in fact, no telly at all;
Not pushing an overloaded trolley around Tesco, full of stuff we don't need, won't eat, but buy 'just in case';
Not getting involved in the presents race - there's room for one present each in the suitcase, but ingenuity involved in keeping them hidden until the day;
Waking up to snow-covered pine trees and snowflakes the size of 50p pieces;
Buck's Fizz and bacon sandwiches for breakfast;
Being surrounded by happy, friendly people enjoying themselves;
When self-catering, cobbling together something that looks like a Christmas dinner - we take stuffing, a cake and a Pud, but otherwise somehow put it together from whatever the local supermarket can offer;
In catered chalets, having someone else do all the stressful stuff of preparing, cooking and serving Christmas Dinner
Falling asleep at 10pm after an active day, rather than because we're stuffed with food and booze;
No telly (have I mentioned that?) - instead, the most amazing scenery, atmosphere, fresh air, etc;

After much soul-searching, did our first Christmas away about 15 years ago. Have spent every Christmas since then in the mountains, so some comments are based on memory and observation of other people's stress.

All of this sounds like bliss!! And exactly what we are hoping it will be! We are catered so no cooking required thank goodness and hopefully enjoy some bubbles and Christmas hats after a good blast around the mountain!

Will still have to do present shopping for the half of the family who do not ski, are not interested in it and have 3 young children. I anticipate a mini Christmas do with them before we go which will be nice and much more like a regular Sunday roast I expect.

4 weeks in the mountains does sound great I must say, am somewhat jealous tbh!
latest report
Quote:

Not pushing an overloaded trolley around Tesco

I have been known to push one round Carrefour. wink I did Christmas dinner for 12 people in my small apartment last year, at around 6 pm. Afterwards with played an alcohol-fuelled game of Articulate, which had been hiding in the back of our "toy cupboard" for years. I had Tesco's best chicken gravy and a huge turkey crown, bought frozen from the UK (after a previous effort with a French capon was less than successful).

But I wouldn't do all that if out just for a week.
snow report
Quote:

There's no need to over-eat

Oh yes there is - doubly so on a ski holiday Cool

As is my tradition - I started the day with a glass of champagne as well
latest report
have done this for the last 9 years, our son hasnt had a xmas in the uk, we used to take a whole suitcase of presents, but now just a few items to open xmas day, and they both know that when they get back home theyve got another xmas day to open those things santa couldnt take over Smile weve done all sorts from catered chalet to self catering, but the absolute JOY of not having to go to the inlaws for lunch...........id pay a fortune !!!! also none of the daft rushing around trying to please everyone, as long as we get the time off i cant see us changing back to xmas in the uk Toofy Grin
latest report
From our perspective the most successfuly x-mas ski holidays seem to be the ones where everyone spends x-mas day together. So, if you have a non skier or a young child, are all different levels etc think about this before you go.

One group spend x-mas day learning to snowboard so they were all the same level as the two beginner children. Now that works up an appetite for mince pies and brandy butter!
ski holidays
On christmas day 2006, with my wife, bros and kids in ski school - I found myself on a beautiful sunny day at the top of Zell am see, all by myself ...

I bought a beer and to the best of my knowledge, using a nokia phone ... I invented the "selfie"

#fact

Smile
ski holidays
The only time we've attempted Christmas, it poured with rain all day. Miserable!
latest report
On Christmas day 2013 it also poured down in the village and the top lifts were closed, so we decided to have a lazy day instead. Brought evening meal forward to mid-afternoon, played Monopoly, watched DVDs and drank champagne.
snow report
by boxing day the rain had turned to snow Very Happy
snow report
Catered Chalet in Les Gets a few years ago, sunny skiing in the morning and lunch time, back to the Chalet for a full Christmas dinner, cooked by others, and Santa turned up for the kids. A Mastercard moment.
latest report
FiFi_Trixibell, I've tagged my trip report below from Christmas 2013.(nb not all of it is particularly relevant to Christmas itself) We self catered family of four in Espace Diamant and it was our first Christmas away from home skiing. I think it would really take something extreme to stop us from skiing every Christmas from here on in. We loved it, kids loved it. It was very special and I get excited about Christmas 2014 just thinking back to it. (and trust me I don't get excited about Christmas usually!!)

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2426005&highlight=les+saisies+trip#2426005
ski holidays
You are allowed not to put the telly on in the UK, you know!

We had our first Christmas skiing this year - non skiing friends with us so not quite the same. We took Xmas dinner stuff but could have got away with just stuffing and a vegetarian option for our friend We also took a pull-up, pre-decorated, pre-lit xmas tree and presents. Christmas Eve was spent mostly trying to find out what was happening at Gatwick with the power cut and going to Salzburg to pick up friends, then we had a special meal out. Christmas day was same as at home really, - opened presents, drank champagne, went for a walk round the village, had a drink, came home & cooked dinner, played games.
latest report
We've done it twice and I would do it again. We drove so hid the kids pressies in boxes in the boot. The joy of skiing on Christmas Day was brilliant. We've stayed in la Tania and on Xmas Eve there's a Santa ski down in the village at nighttime and fireworks which really made things feel Christmassy. The joy of no food shopping, cooking and dealing with leftovers was an added bonus. We took the whole family including grandparents and had a whole chalet so we didn't lose the Christmassy feel in any way. I can thoroughly recommend!
ski holidays
Quote:

The only time we've attempted Christmas, it poured with rain all day. Miserable!

Useful reminder that, amongst all this wonderment and magic and enthusiasm, Christmas is a risk, weather wise. Days are short, snow depths are statistically likely to be low and it often seems to be fairly mild, which means precipitation will fall as rain in many places. It's still better than Christmas in the UK but not better than a holiday later in the season, if you are only going to get one week's skiing in the season. I've skied 10 of the last 12 Christmases - conditions have been mixed, with only one really terrible lot of weather, 2 or 3 not great, 2 or 3 great, others so-so. I recall having to dry out a load of ski gear for family members who had been skiing all afternoon in rain, at 1600/2000m, last Christmas. As they were staying in a small camper van there was no chance of their drying it themselves. They were very keen - most people gave up!

I've also skied 11 of the last 12 Easters - and I'd say that, on average, conditions have been better at Easter, with longer, lighter days and better snow depths. There was one very bad end of season but others have been OK - and a few (like last year) great.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bring crackers.
snow report
Had my first christmas skiing in 2013 and it was an awesome experience but I don't get the 'no telly' thing being a big deal either. It's not compulsory to watch it at home.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-04-14 19:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
We are here every Christmas and as pam w, says the weather can be be bit hit and miss, although the last three years have been great, but we are fairly high. But its so much less frantic than all that panic you get in the UK, the shops and supermarkets don't have that ridiculous panic that you'll never going to be able to shop EVER again. A lot of villages do a great Christmas procession with Father Christmas, fireworks etc. Its great! As moseyp, says bring crackers, good advice and try and smuggle a turkey in....they're like the size of a quail here! Smile
snow report
Didn't ski at Christmas 2013 and really missed it, definitely going 2014 Austria.........magic time to be away in the snow. Don't do TV, only movies so not an issue at all, I don't get that. Skiing with all the festivities a much better experience than sat about at home spending daft amounts of cash on food and drink...........mind you given that up too! Not bothered too much about NewYear, find it a bit of an anti-climax and busy but we generally stick about and one home 2nd January.

Slopes always quiet and snow IME great, short often very cold days but we ski all day with very few stops, meet at 4-4.15pm in a busy bar and soak up the atmosphere. Takes some beating and uses up my long industry holiday without needing to take too many days of annual leave..........then back end January for another reasonably priced week before the school holiday folks arrive.
ski holidays
Does anyone else do their christmas shopping in Bourg st Maurice?
latest report
johnE, Nope - prezzies for family all done week before. Most of the Xmas food comes with us and top up Albertville for fresh stufff
snow report
I spent one Xmas in Zermatt, when I was living in a van for about 6-8 weeks. As it was a car free resort, it meant I had to stay in a youth hostel as the train fare to and from the covered car park every day would have been money wasted. (although it would have still been slightly cheaper to do that)

I do not usually go to church, and I am not particularly religious, but on Xmas eve with nothing to do in the evening I went to see what was going on in the church. It was warm in there and the architecture was fantastic. Particularly considering the limited roads to Zermatt, and the high altitude. How do you get all that brickwork up there when you have no motorised vehicles?

Xmas day was a blue sky day, and the snow was soft and plentiful. I skied all day long, with a break at lunchtime in front of the Matterhorn. I think I had soup, as that is what I had most days.

I guess what I remember most is that you tend to meet people in the youth hostel, and have a conversation over dinner. Maybe a brief conversation, but more than you do when living in a van for weeks on end. So I remember the people, and wondered what they were doing there at Xmas. Some were on their own, some in the room had sons in the room, some in the dining area were with aunties. (A French Canadian girl who was half Dutch was staying over Xmas with her two French aunts, they shared a table with me one evening)

I shared a room with 8 bunk beds which was full on Xmas eve and Xmas day. I skied on my own all week, and had fantastic weather and a great MP3 player full of skiing music.

I did not take any crackers, and there was no sign of any real Xmas celebration at dinner time. No funny hats, nor any Xmas trees or decorations. Maybe it is a Swiss thing!

snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 2-04-14 21:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Ah yes church. Despite having never been to midnight mass in the UK, I went to midnight mass in Cervinia - it was a very long service. It seemed lovely too with all the families and very young children involved. Only things I understood the priest say though were the words "Mother Theresa", "Nelson Mandella", "bambino" and "apartheid".
snow report
johnE, I have done my Xmas food & drink shopping for two years running in BSM, beats Tesco anyday!

When the boys were small they wanted to be home on Xmas morning so after lunch or early Boxing day would see us heading for the slopes caravan in tow. Wonderfully flexible as we could go when we wanted and to where we wanted!

More recently we have hired a large apartment, high for the best chance of snow around the chalet. The one Xmas thing the boys (now in their 20`s and one married) requested I take from home was Christmas crackers!

I would always prefer to spend Xmas in the Alps if I could!
snow report
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

... Christmas is a risk, weather wise. Days are short, snow depths are statistically likely to be low and it often seems to be fairly mild, which means precipitation will fall as rain in many places.

True enough.

However I'd turn that around the other way: if you're going away at xmas, then you need to go where the snow is.

With a little care I've still been able to ride powder on 25 of the last 26 xmas days. The one day I missed was when they closed LHR because there was snow in Scotchland. Soon they'll be independent and that risk will be removed.
snow conditions
+ 1 to philwig

Spent many Christmases in the US, Canada and Japan.

Never been a problem with snow.

And the food & mood has been excellent in all of these places.
ski holidays
Swiss/German TV on Christmas Eve. I never knew there were so many oom-pah bands, or people willing to wear lederhosen in a completely non-ironic way Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy