Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Orange Dust from the Sahara

Poster: A snowHead
When I came out this morning the cars had a thin film of orange coloured dust.
I heard on the weather forecast last night that this was expected.

It dosent bother me here in Hertfordshire ... but I hope its not on a pristine clean alps!

Is it causing any problems over there?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DrLawn, there was an invasion of Sahara dust during the UK half term week, in a number of resorts, and as it didn't snow for ages after that, it hung around - really looked a bit smeary, mucky, not nice. It all got covered up by the new snow last weekend - we were wondering today whether it would re-emerge as the new snow melted and/or sublimated. I hope we don't get a new lot.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DrLawn, In the Dolomites the week before last the unpisted areas of snow looked like a lightly browned meringue topping in places!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers pam w,

Well I suppose as long it gets covered by new white stuff quickly ... thats OK ...
But if it stays on the top it would speed up the melt is suppose.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The stuff that arrived in Feb (around Valentine's Day) has been causing bother ever since. It formed a layer on which new snow has frequently slid off - it still gets a mention in the Meteo France Avi bulletins occasionally.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

it still gets a mention in the Meteo France Avi bulletins occasionally.

that's interesting - I didn't realise that, I thought it was just a cosmetic problem.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Its not been there for a few days but 'la couche de sable' has cropped up a few times. Up 'ere in Tignes its still quite noticeable. Hope the Marmottes can dig through it - it can't be long - poisson d'avril demain wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chocksaway, I saw a Marmotte yesterday - when I took a walk down below the snowline, amongst the wild violets and cowslips. It shot across the track ahead of me, far too quick for me to photograph.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is pretty common in the Pyrenees, though I'm not aware of it having caused weak layers. Naturally, it's a everyday sight in Sierra Nevada!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, the dust/sand layer clearly re-emerged in Megève about 10 days ago. At higher levels it was visible in a discrete layer where slabs had broken away (there was quite a big avalanche on the far side of the Mt Joly chair).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the dust/sand layer clearly re-emerged in Megève about 10 days ago.

it disappeared here (having been very evident, though patchy since I got back earlier in the month) only on 21/22 March when we had heavy snowfall. It's not reappeared yet though I suspect it will. On some undulating terrain it was much more evident on one aspect than the other - presumably because of the wind direction at the time the dust was deposited. It wasn't very pretty.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and besides, they really need it, down there in the Sahara.....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We have got it back on most of the south facing slopes in Monta rosa (probably not the reason for the name but...) just a reminder that the 2m+ of snow that has fallen since then has melted.
It happens most years over most of the alps but the dust was significant this year, I've not yet noticed it forming a weak layer in the snow although the warm wind associated with it might contribute to pack instability in some areas.
I seem to remember it happens regularly enough in Munich for them to call it 'blood rain' when it is deposited with the rain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We saw it as well in Madonna at half term, it snowed again the day after and the meringue effect was great. I'll see if I can find any photos to upload, it was very surreal!

Ahh he we are

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 1-04-14 19:07; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="DrLawn"]It dosent bother me here in Hertfordshire ... but I hope its not on a pristine clean alps![/quote]
No there's nothing of this over here in Alps, as from Sahara it goes down south, over south pole, then over Indian Ocean, North pole and down to UK. So Alps are fine without dust Wink
ski holidays
Oh I didn't hear it mentioned on the TV so wondered if it was from some building work nearby.
Just had the window cleaner do my conservatory on Friday so in snow-less London the dust is a bit annoying - I'll have to clean it again myself.
Well, I suppose it's a displacement of my annoyance that I can't ski till next year. I've been staring at moffatross's lovely pic of fresh tracks at Nevis last Sunday - (Summit Gully) in Off-piste "Scotland off-piste guide...".
latest report
Dust hit Alp d'huez today
snow report
k1orange wrote:
Dust hit Alp d'huez today

I've been watching the Oz webcams as we are off to ADH tomorrow, and it was definitely visible in Oz.
snow report
Dust is bad where I live in London. I am actually hoping for rain to clear the air. Eight more days and I will be back in the alps breathing clean mountain air. Can't wait!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy