Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help buying a backpack!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on purchasing a backpack.

Essentially I am planning my first week backcountry skiing next year. This will be a week of day trips with lunch on the mountain. I will also be going for a week on piste with friends.

At some stage in the future I would like to do a longer ski touring expedition such as the Haute Route. This is a few years down the road but would be handy to not have to buy another backpack for this.

At the moment I am trying to decide between the Dakine Heli Pro (20l) and the Pro 2 (26l)

http://eu.dakine.com/p/backpacks/snow-backpacks/fall-13-winter-14/heli-pro-dlx-20l

http://eu.dakine.com/p/backpacks/snow-backpacks/fall-13-winter-14/pro-ii-26l

At the moment I feel it would be impossible to get a backpack to suit all purposes (long ski touring, day in the back country and on piste). 26l is likely far too small for ski touring while anything bigger is overkill for a day trip /on piste stuff.

So my questions are:

1. Am I right in saying I will need to buy two backpacks…one <30l>35l for expedition?
2. If that is the case would the 20l or 26l be better for day trips / on piste? I don’t really have a reference for the size so not sure how different they are. I would prefer the smaller one but I am afraid 20l will be too tight for a day backcountry…likewise worried that 26l will be too big for a day on piste / ski lifts.
3. I love the look of the Dakine so pretty sure I am going for one of those unless somebody has negative feedback or suggests something else that they feel would be more suitable?

Happy to provide any more information if needed.

Thanks guys!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zatopek, if you are planning doing a big tour like Haute Route you'll maybe be thinking ABS airbag? If so you may be better investing in say the ABS vario which has varying zip on/ off packs available. If skiing on piste you can drop down to a smaller zip on, if not suggest DaKine 20L is a great bag, I have one and use it for summer hiking/ camera stuff. I use ABS in winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Markymark.

The ABS looks sweet, will prob need to make the investment when the Haute Route comes around but prob a bit overkill for the moment.

How much can you fit in the Dakine 20L? Would it do you for a day backcountry?

For example could it fit the following:

1. Backpack
2. Beacon
3. Shovel - Compact to fit in your pack
4. Probe - Dedicated Avalanche Probe
5. Skins
6. Navigation equipment – Map & compass, GPS, altimeter
7. Down or synthetic jacket
8. Waterproof shell
9. Eye protection - Sunglasses & goggles
10. Warm hat
11. Food
12. Water
13. Extra gloves - Thinner and thicker
14. Extra layers
15. Emergency gear - First aid kit, repair kit, bivy sack, headlamp
16. Cell phone, radio or satellite phone
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When touring hut-to-hut, keeping rucksack weight down is big priority. For this reason I've left the ABS rucksack behind on such tours. The hut to hut tours I do also tend to be with a guide so the chance of getting caught in an avalanche in the first place is most likely much less (although never zero).

Do others here take an ABS rucksack on hut to hut tours?

You might want to consider a rucksack that expands or just borrow a larger rucksack from someone for the multi-day tours.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zatopek, firstly I'd not be skinning without ABS by virtue of where I was, but if not I'd suggest an Avalung.

Your Item 2 beacon is Tranceiver? If so it wants to be on you not in your rucksack!

Therefore I'd suggest you carry the following and it's big enough for this:-

3,4,6 (map) altimeter on Suunto watch, GPS on phone in pocket, 7, 8 (got it on with vents open), 9 (or not and, you'll be wearing one or the other), 10, 11 (snacks), 12 (I carry small bottle and fill up regularly), 13, 14, 15, 16 (iPhone in pocket). Don't forget you'll also need to strap your helmet to your rucksack. You'll also maybe need ski crampons.

I don't always take all the days in backcountry, extra layers and gloves, but DO carry camera gear, don't forget to allow for this if its your thing.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zatopek,
Depending on what type of tour you are doing you might also need crampons for your ski boots, gaitors, an ice axe and a harness with carabiner. I prefer water in a Camelbak type bladder so I can drink small amounts often while eliminating water bottle faff, but you have to be careful the tube doesn't freeze up. If it does then sticking the tube down your sweaty back generally defrosts it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

be careful the tube doesn't freeze up. If it does then sticking the tube down your sweaty back generally defrosts it.

... or buy one of Camelbak's neoprene tube sleeves ... or failing that, just remember to blow the water back up the tube after each drink ... simples Little Angel

Can't comment on the loads you'll be carrying (it's lift served stuff only for me) - but I can vouch for the quality of Dakine backpacks. For some reason they put insanely long straps on their gear, so be prepared to cut/roll/tie-up the excess webbing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy