Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Injury

Poster: A snowHead
I forgot to mention - I now have one leg about an inch to an inch and a half shorter than the other. The Surgeon in France told me this would happen!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, oh bug. I am surprised though - I always thought thats why people have traction or external fixation. Will your UK surgeon do anything to correct it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jb1970, was that surgeon in France's nice way of saying you won't ever be a good skier again?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will make turning interesting.......
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
you should change your forum name to haggis legs (great for walking round hills! Sorry couldn't resist Blush hope you make a full recovery
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970, the "leg shorter than the other" problem might be because one of your femurs is now shorter than the other, or it could be a functional problem related to pelvic imbalance etc. Lots of people have this problem - which needs very different treatment from an anatomical difference. Who has diagnosed your different length legs, and how?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
jb1970, the "leg shorter than the other" problem might be because one of your femurs is now shorter than the other, or it could be a functional problem related to pelvic imbalance etc. Lots of people have this problem - which needs very different treatment from an anatomical difference. Who has diagnosed your different length legs, and how?

Its because my femur is shorter than the other. I don't need it diagnosed; I can see its shorter just by looking at it!!! Surgeon in France told me this would be the case. I'm going to discuss with my Orthopaedic Consultant when I see him on 15th of this month.

Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, blooming 'eck, you really crocked yourself good and proper. Sad Sad Do hope that continued rehab will eventually make you almost as good as new. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I'm going to discuss with my Orthopaedic Consultant when I see him on 15th of this month.

I hope that discussion goes well and he can give you a positive prognosis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970, I think you should change your forum name to Eileen
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jb1970 wrote:
I forgot to mention - I now have one leg about an inch to an inch and a half shorter than the other. The Surgeon in France told me this would happen!

they said the same to me after I broke my femur, nobody has managed to effectively measure the difference (if any)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
jb1970, I think you should change your forum name to Eileen

Why Eileen?!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski wrote:
jb1970 wrote:

they said the same to me after I broke my femur, nobody has managed to effectively measure the difference (if any)

I don't need to measure - its quite obvious that one leg is shorter than the other!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Why Eileen?!

Just say it outloud, jb1970. wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Why Eileen?!

Just say it outloud, jb1970. wink

I'm lost - don't know what you mean!
snow conditions
I lean. one leg longer than the other.....
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I lean. one leg longer than the other.....

Got it now...duh!!!
latest report
jb1970, hope you don't think Frosty the Snowman's making fun of you! Hope your leg gets sorted. I'd guess it's quite difficult (although not impossible) to ski with one leg shorter than the other.
latest report
maggi wrote:
jb1970, hope you don't think Frosty the Snowman's making fun of you! Hope your leg gets sorted. I'd guess it's quite difficult (although not impossible) to ski with one leg shorter than the other.

Not at all! I hope its not too difficult!
ski holidays
Anatomically what causes the shortening? If a bone cracks cleanly and is realigned surely the ends must meet up. Where does the loss in length come from?
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Anatomically what causes the shortening? If a bone cracks cleanly and is realigned surely the ends must meet up. Where does the loss in length come from?

+1 Puzzled
snow report
Megamum, IIR . . . and that is an old IIR, unless there is a mechanical brace to the bone, ie. pins and/or rods etc. natural muscle/ligament contraction will exert a pull on the shards. A big injury like jb's has a much greater risk than a minor break like mine. Though it is a potental complication in any fracture. Give you an idea. All the ligaments around my ankle joint were stretched in the accident so there is little pull on the lower head of the tibia into the joint yet the big muscles in my leg still exert a pull, drawing the shorter end up my leg possibly ending up with a a shortened tibia and a less stable ankle joint. That's why I'm working so hard to maintain a good blood flow through the area and get the soft tissue damage reduced as fast as possible. I'll detail the results later but I'm very lucky in having a big ol' Fib as a splint Very Happy
latest report
I think it depends on the fracture type and the method of fixation used, but I'm no expert on this. Hopefully Jonathan Bell might be able to elaborate, but I would have to move the thread for him to see it.

jb1970, is it OK for me to move this to the Injury and Rehabiliatation forum?
latest report
[quote="jb1970"]I don't know if I am being over-sensitive but some friends have been making fun and have basically said that "you can't be a very good skier if you broke your leg"[/quote]
First you can be really happy you don't have me for your friend, as with being such a sissy you would be crying in some dark corner and not complaining here. Second, maybe skiing is just not for you Twisted Evil Third, that's what friends are for... when you are really down, they are suppose to make fun of you, otherwise they are not real friends. And fourth, get a bit tougher and get some sense of humor Wink
snow conditions
Masque, interesting - I guess the amount of shortening must be related to the cleaness of the break then, the more trauma to the ends of the bone the more possibility that is what is left could effectively crush, as you described. 1-1.5" still sounds a huge change in length to manage. Lets hope that it won't be that much jb1970, or you will have to learn to sew to keep turning up one leg on your trousers!!! wink
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
I think it depends on the fracture type and the method of fixation used, but I'm no expert on this. Hopefully Jonathan Bell might be able to elaborate, but I would have to move the thread for him to see it.

jb1970, is it OK for me to move this to the Injury and Rehabiliatation forum?

Yes, Hells Bells, please move it to the appropriate section. Thanks
snow report
I'm going back to see Ortho on 15th of this month, so will see what happens then and will keep you all posted. On a more positive note, I have been doing my physio exercises and there is much less pain and more movement in my leg, so all good there!

Will keep you posted.
snow conditions
jb1970, good to hear that. The physio is so important. ..don't underestimate the amount of work you'll have to do once you are fully weight bearing. Try and get the physio to let you partially weight bear on your full foot as soon as possible if you feel you can. They wanted me to toe touch at first. ..they said it was to stop too much weight going through but if I could manage the weight through the crutches I could use my full foot...much easier!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
jb1970, good to hear that. The physio is so important. ..don't underestimate the amount of work you'll have to do once you are fully weight bearing. Try and get the physio to let you partially weight bear on your full foot as soon as possible if you feel you can. They wanted me to toe touch at first. ..they said it was to stop too much weight going through but if I could manage the weight through the crutches I could use my full foot...much easier!

That's what the Consultant has told me to do - toe touch only at the moment. They are more concerned with the way the metalwork is sitting...or not sitting in my case!
snow report
jb1970, Ah, OK. My consultant said it was up to the physio. I forgot your metalwork wasn't sitting well
snow conditions
Quote:

if I could manage the weight through the crutches I could use my full foot...much easier!

I had no physio, with my straightforward fracture, but I found this too - I had been told that weight-bearing was OK from the outset so I could experiment with more weight, and a more normal gait - and decided that walking very slowly but with a normal foot movement was much better for me than hopalong cassidying at higher speed with my left foot off the ground, or just toe-touching.

I used a bathroom scales to try to get an idea of how much weight I was bearing on the affected leg - it was most encouraging to see that increasing.
latest report
jb1970,

Recovery after a fracture will depend on many variables.
Those involving the joint surfaces can cause quite significant problems, most usually if they cannot be reduced( put back together) accurately. Those may lead to pain, arthritis etc.
Some with cause trouble because they don't heal.
Others are a problem because the metalwork is bulky and uncomfortable.
Rehab and associated soft tissue damage is also relevant .

However. Many people can get an excellent recovery and get back to skiing , some, I know this season have skied to a high level.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
Been to see the Orthopaedic Docs this morning and this is the update:

Had x-ray and leg is healing well, still not to fully weight bear as doc said leg has to heal in 4 places (I had two breaks in my femur, so presume that this means 2 joins + 2 breaks = 4 places - I'm a layman, so will be guided by their expert opinion!). I also asked about the metalwork and that the doctor last time said it wasn't sitting quite as he would like it to - was told this morning that it looks ok, is keeping everything in place and metalwork is not protruding through skin or anything like that, so just to keep an eye on it. I've to continue with my physio (I love my physio woman, she's great) and go back to see Ortho in 6 weeks' time. Still not allowed to drive either as I wouldn't be legal (emergency stop, etc) which is a bummer because I have a lovely shiny brand spanking new (14 plate) car sitting outside the house that I can't use! I also asked him about one leg being shorter than the other - doc said that it probably looks worse than it is (from my position) and that this is easily corrected with insoles from orthotics - still don't know how that is going to be with I'm turning whilst skiing - will be interesting! He says that leg is shorter because of fragments in the bone.

When I go back in 6 weeks' time, and if he allows me to start weight bearing at that time, that's when I'm going to ask him about skiing next year. My mum doesn't want me to go skiing and neither does some of my friends. Although, I'm a recreational skier and quite average, I do like the whole being in the mountains, getting exercise, eating nice lunch, etc, so I want to go back. To be honest, I don't think I'm nervous about putting on skis again (I say this because I'm not in the mountains and at home, I might be different if I was there!) what I am a bit nervous about is if I injury myself again - its not the potential injury that would wee wee me off, its the recovery but I suppose that's an occupational hazard! Can you ski with metalwork in your leg and how would it affect my skiing - I mean would it pop out if I was to fall?
ski holidays
jb1970, can't comment on skiing with metalwork, but don't listen to your friends and mum on this. I have had similar comments, I am not listening to them either. Currently day 2 of our holiday and my knees are feeling great Happy I am glad I didn't listen to the naysayers.
latest report
jb1970, they took my metal work out as I said I wanted to ski again. But every person and consultant are different...
snow conditions
jb1970, Thanks for the update, sounds like a good report after thinking it may not go so well. Of course you'll be skiing next season!
ski holidays
NickyJ,
Quote:

Currently day 2 of our holiday and my knees are feeling great I am glad I didn't listen to the naysayers.

Very Happy

holidayloverxx,
Quote:

Of course you'll be skiing next season!

Indeed!
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
jb1970, they took my metal work out as I said I wanted to ski again. But every person and consultant are different...

Thanks for this - when I go back to see them at the end of May, I'm going to ask them about whether or not to take out the metalwork so I can go skiing next year!
ski holidays
If you need physio that will get you back on the slopes, don't hesitate to go to Jacques in Les Menuires Centre Medical totally brilliant, has worked on my knee that was trashed by a "friend" it's the service station for esf. Very Happy
latest report
White Dog, I think that might be a little too for him to commute to
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy