Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Injury

Poster: A snowHead
jb1970, good news.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jb1970, that sounds good - walking with one crutch (or one walking stick for that matter) is certainly bad for general posture and can set off other troubles. I hope you'll be able to really enjoy the coming summer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, re one crutch - indeed, I am surprised that physios suggest it. I was told in no uncertain terms by my Austrian surgeon not to do it
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx wrote:
pam w, re one crutch - indeed, I am surprised that physios suggest it. I was told in no uncertain terms by my Austrian surgeon not to do it

One crutch is fine if walking is better balanced by using it. You should only progress to one crutch when you are almost fully weight bearing on the affected leg.
The problem comes if one crutch used when two actually required because then you tend to lurch over onto the crutch to try and take extra weight through it.

If you are doing that then you should have two.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonathan Bell wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

One crutch is fine if walking is better balanced by using it. You should only progress to one crutch when you are almost fully weight bearing on the affected leg.
The problem comes if one crutch used when two actually required because then you tend to lurch over onto the crutch to try and take extra weight through it.

If you are doing that then you should have two.

Jonathan Bell

Totally agree. By using the one crutch and one walking stick, I do have the tendency to lurch over and this is why the physio wants me to use two walking sticks. All in all though, its progress!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jb1970,Ah, so you were never using just one crutch on its own? anyway as you say, progress!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi there

Just another wee update - had a meeting last week with my boss, HR and my Union Rep (I was told I could take someone in on the meeting, so I thought it best to take my Union Rep - the meeting was purely a procedural one, bearing in mind I have been off for 6 months and will soon be going onto half pay, also the meeting was to see if I was able to make a return to work). I told them at the meeting that, following discussion with my Orthopaedic Consultant, I was able to return to work on lighter duties, mainly sitting down at my desk, although I've been advised that I need to get up and walk about too, not for work purposes, solely for rehabilitation purposes. Anyway, the upshot is that I'm going back to work on a phased return basis on 9 July, on reduced hours/days using the 18 days/135 hours of leave (NHS annual leave is calculated in days/hours). On the week of 9 July, I go back one day 9.30-1430, then two days the following week, 3 days the week after, etc etc. I go back to my normal hours week commencing Monday 18 August. Its really worked in my favour because I'm going to be carrying over 2.6 days/20 hours into this year's annual leave which is already my full unused entitlement of 33 days/247.5 hours, so I've got just over 7 weeks holiday to take before 31 March 2015!

Also, as for driving, I phoned the Consultant Orthopaedic's Secretary last week just to double check and she confirmed that I am allowed to drive short distances and that ultimately too its up to how I feel. I was going to wait until I was 100% better but I've been driving to the Supermarket and back which is good for my confidence; i never thought I would say this, particularly about driving (as I've been told I'm a typical male driver) but my confidence has taken a knock with driving but I think this is a combination of injury, not driving since 4 January and the fact that I have a brand new car which I want to be careful with!

All in all, though, its looking good and to be honest, I want to get back to work as I'm really bored and need to get back to some sort of normality.

J x
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jb1970, all sounding good. The next major goal is to get back on skis! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

i never thought I would say this, particularly about driving (as I've been told I'm a typical male driver) but my confidence has taken a knock with driving

not a bit surprising. Good that you are starting small, with local trips - you'll soon be back to normal I'm sure.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jb1970, excellent news. +1 for the driving - it's a long time not to drive so it's bound to hit your road sense.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi there folks - just another wee update.

Seen Orthopaedic Consultant again today - he has said that leg continues to heal and that I've to go back and see him in 3 months' time which is an improvement because its been 6 weekly appointments up until now. I asked about getting back into exercise - I hate the gym but like cycling, walking, and swimming. He said that I could go cycling but only on a static bike (exercise bike) but that I was to pace myself and not do too much. He said that swimming is ok but again just take my time. Well anyway, I am just back from the swimming pool. I went to the pool nearest where I live and also because its not too deep which means that I can "walk" through the water (its 0.9m at the shallow end and 1.2m at the deep end). I did a wee bit of swimming and it felt good - managed to hirple to the side of the pool and ease myself in - the only scary thing was going to and from the changing room as its all wet and I was feart in case I would slip and fall again but I asked the attendant if he/she would take my arm (I know that sounds melodramatic but when you've been like this for 6 months, you wouldn't take any chances!).

I also asked the Consultant today about skiing and he said that I wasn't to ski for at least 6-8 months, so it would probably be next winter, not this winter when I will be skiing again.

Back to work tomorrow on a phased return basis which is actually not too bad as it gives me a sense of normality and routine. Still driving too which is great - loving my new car (new Peugeot 308 - car of the year 2014 if you please!!!).

Thanks for all your continued support folks - mucho appreciated! xx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970, great news, 6-8 months? That still means you can ski in March.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jb1970, 8 months takes you to March, you've still got April?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970, Good news Smile Regarding the slippery poolside, can you get some flip flops that you just use at the pool? I had the same problem after I first injured my knee, & flip flops definitely helped.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970, good news. Well done on making the pool. I know exactly what you mean...and quite right to ask for help!
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
jb1970, 8 months takes you to March, you've still got April?
Yayy, so come to the EoSB!!
ski holidays
Thanks for all your replies. I don't know as yet about skiing next April - will need to really think about it!

I've dug out a pair of flip flops and going to use them when I go to the pool!
snow report
jb1970, I found that having my April holiday to focus on really helped keep me motivated in my rehab exercises, and those days where I would have thought I am tired I can't be bothered to go to the gym, I went as I knew I had to work had at the rehab to be able to ski then.
latest report
jb1970, you need something to work towards.
latest report
NickyJ, Hells Bells, +1 I had Val D'Isere on 30th November to look forward after my injury on 1st April; I wouldn't have done the work if it hadn't been for that I'm sure (as I am fundamentally a lazy cow, and like jb1970 I hate the gym)
snow report
Hi there again - just another wee update. Due to see Orthopaedics again in October and continuing with the physio and have now been having physiotherapy classes (twice a week) which is really pushing me on. Also swimming breaststroke 3 times a week which is great. I can now also walk without sticks, although I am a bit lop-sided because of the shortness in one leg - waiting to see Orthotics for insoles. Its all looking good.

Thanks for all your lovely replies and support.
snow conditions
jb1970, Thanks for the update - sounds like you are doing really well now Very Happy
ski holidays
jb1970, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
jb1970, good news on the walking. What exercises are you doing at physio?
ski holidays
jb1970, very good to hear, it's been ages, but it sounds like you're getting there at last. Book a ski holiday without delay.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
jb1970, very good to hear, it's been ages, but it sounds like you're getting there at last. Book a ski holiday without delay.

I wish I could but been told not to ski for 6-8 months, so I'm going to wait until next winter (2015/2016).

Talking of holidays, I have 7 weeks annual leave to take before the end of March so I've booked a week in September, a week in October, two weeks in November, week in February and two weeks in March!
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
jb1970, good news on the walking. What exercises are you doing at physio?

Squats, stairs, exercise bike, stretching leg exercises, walking, side stepping
ski holidays
jb1970, all great stuff! good luck with your progress
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bump to see how you are doing @jb1970? Hope you are enjoying all that A/L Very Happy
ski holidays
@igLou, good call
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I'll PM him!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy