Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for a fat moustache

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a fat all mountain rocker-camber-rocker ski to ski all over the mountain in soft snow, on or off piste, in pow, crud, slush, mashed potato or just the scrapings on the side of a hard run. I try to avoid hard icy runs.
I tend to make short radius turns and make as many turns as possible on a given slope, carve corduroy, smear the end of a turn and look for tight runs in the trees.
I don't want to ski switch, jump off cliffs, straight line in powder (what a waste).
The ski needs to be able to handle icy traverses, frozen crud and other less than idea conditions.
I think I prefer a light, lively ski to a damp heavy one. I will mount with Barons and do short skins.
I have been skiing Icelantic Shamans for the last 3 years which suit me very well. I expect an equivalent rocker ski will be at least 10cm longer.
Is there a ski with a more modern shape which will work better?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BertieG, Volkl Mantra . . . review coming tonight.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BertieG, Volkl Mantra . . . review coming tonight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Masque, Haven't skied the Mantra but from what I have read it is too narrow, too stiff and more geared to long GS turns. Sounds too much like hard work at 75kg. I Think I am looking for something more "playful" but still directional. I think I'm looking at a minimum of 110 underfoot and I'm used to 160 in the tip. One ski that interested me was the Armada JJ but I was concerned that it is a bit too symmetrical and the design is 8 years old now. I'm also interested in the Super7 and the Bent Chetler. Too many choices............
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BertieG, try them and decide...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Down CD7
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitedot Ranger Carbonlite. May be a bit long in the radius for your spec, but it's so light and responsive that short radius turns are easy if you twist rather than carve them. No doubt spyderjon will be along shortly to offer you a deal wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitedot Director or, even better, the Whitedot Director CarbonLite. And deals can always be done wink

+1 for the CD7 also & Down are doing a very good deal on their last few pairs at the moment.

JJ still a good choice.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
spyderjon, Thanks for that - always liked the look of Whitedots. clarky999, CD7 looks very interesting, the center mounting worries be a bit. The dilemma seems to be that manufacturers either make turny fat skis that are center mounted for spins and riding backwards or directional fat skis for charging and longer radius turns. I'm looking for a turny directional fat ski which is what the Shaman does so well. Looks like I need to try a symmetrical ski to see how I get on and go to a Whitedot demo. Anyone tried the Icelantic Keeper?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BertieG, we'll have Whitedots to demo at the EoSB.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are literally a bazillion directional, fattish, playful skis.

The Atomic Automatic is another contender.

I'd not worry too much about how centered they are, you can always opt to mount them back a little but will probably find the recommended mount point fine.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy