Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

unreasonable expectations

Poster: A snowHead
Only took 3 pages Boris,
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feck it
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nadenoodlee, Nah you're right - conclusion was on 3rd page
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't see why a conclusion has ever been a place to stop on a thread like this Boris, we haven't even addressed private vs state school bias & impact yet
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nadenoodlee, true - nor did I factor in the cost of winter tyres, chains and wear and tear on the car.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Paid £1050 for hotel + flight and £240 for lift pass.

I think it was great value for what we received.

I might agree that was great value or I might think you were totally ripped off. It's hard to tell with the almost zero information in your post.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well I couldn't give a fig if you think it is good value swiftoid, I paid the money, enjoyed the holiday and formed an opinion. Well done me wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugardaddy I would imagine they would say its too faffy? Too many ski busses to me it looks low too. In krun this year zell was horrendous towards the bottom and on sunny slopes. The glacier was te saviour of he holiday!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One word Boris,

Helmet
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Well I couldn't give a fig if you think it is good value swiftoid, I paid the money, enjoyed the holiday and formed an opinion. Well done me wink

+1
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wouldn't want a luxury hotel, either. I don't like "luxury" things. But that doesn't mean I don't want "quality". When we had a chance to do some African safari stuff we stayed in small safari camps, once in huts which were up trees (the animals walked underneath at night....), once in a tented camp with bucket style overhead showers and early tea in the very chilly morning, round the camp fire, from enamel mugs. Camp had a nice semi-open air bar/sitting area where you helped yourself and put money in a tin. It was more expensive than a package-holiday "4 star lodge" for a couple of hundred people with a pool and fancy furniture but far better quality. wink

Similarly I would prefer to holiday on an eight-berth yacht than an 800 berth cruise ship. The "quality" would lie in the boat's sailing qualities, the quiet and beautiful anchorages (preferably on the West Coast of Scotland) and a glass or two of malt on deck, well wrapped up, before turning in to a rather narrow berth at 10 pm ready to catch the early tide. Probably in the pissing rain. And going ashore for a walk on a quiet island with two other people in an inflatable dinghy. Not 800 other people piling into coaches.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd rather pile into a coach for 1hr than poo-poo in a bucket tbh
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

nor did I factor in the cost of winter tyres, chains and wear and tear on the car.

Not to mention the cost of the car.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nadenoodlee, congratulations. I'm impressed you managed that all on your own. I hope soon you'll manage your own shoe laces too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wear heels so no need for laces swiftoid,
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

nor did I factor in the cost of winter tyres, chains and wear and tear on the car.

Not to mention the cost of the car.

Quite - I only bought it for that holiday Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

I only bought it for that holiday

As I understand it you bought it for a range of holidays - there's still a cost, though, to be amortized (if that's the right word) over all the holidays you take with it.
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I wear heels so no need for laces swiftoid,

The point of my first response to you was that the figures you quoted are meaningless without any indication of where the flights were to/from, where you were staying, how long you were there for, what meals/drinks were included etc.

Basically you said, 'I spent some money and was happy'. Well that's great but the thread is about budget expectations and you've just thrown a monetary figure out there without any indication of what you actually got for it or expect for that sort of budget.
latest report
pam w, Joking aside, I don't think I could assign a cost for car for one particular holiday? We need a car, we wanted one with certain capabilities (towing, 3-proper rear seats primarily, 4*4 as a bonus). We bought it and will change in around 3-4 years. What we choose to do with it in between is largly irrelevant in my mind - car spends 99% of time taking Mrs B to work.

You'd also need to factor in cost of car if you decided to drive to airport

A lot of things are to my mind excluded from overall cost of holiday as you'd have them whatever - for example, do you factor in cost of camera?
ski holidays
Understood swiftoid, shall I list every item on the breakfast buffet etc or will a summary do?

My response was purposely 'lazy' as I think the thread is bloody ridiculous. Everyone has a different budget, viewpoint, opinion. Trying to get everyone to some kind of 'common purpose' got on my tits.
ski holidays
Quote:

'I spent some money and was happy'

I'd read that as "I was happy with what I spent and what I got in return" - that answers your question, you don't need to know any more - people have diff expectations and budgets, what I consider a bargain you may view as a rip off
ski holidays
Boris wrote:

I'd read that as "I was happy with what I spent and what I got in return" - that answers your question, you don't need to know any more - people have diff expectations and budgets, what I consider a bargain you may view as a rip off

No it doesn't.
latest report
Quote:

you've just thrown a monetary figure out there without any indication of what you actually got for it or expect for that sort of budget.

She was happy - whether you would have been, or I would have been is irrelevant. She got what she wanted and expected for the budget
ski holidays
Quote:

You'd also need to factor in cost of car if you decided to drive to airport

yes, of course, you should really - as Frosty the Snowman has argued in "driving versus flying" threads. But if you have a particularly expensive vehicle specifically for holidays, that's a significant factor (Mrs B could presumably drive to work in something much cheaper to run). It does mean that the more holidays you go on, the better the value, of course. wink
snow report
Boris wrote:

She was happy - whether you would have been, or I would have been is irrelevant. She got what she wanted and expected for the budget

The thread is about expectations however so it's not unreasonable, imo, to ask what someone expects or got for the price they've stated they paid.
Your opinion on whether or not it's unreasonable to ask the question is frankly completely irrelevant to me.
snow report
swiftoid wrote:
Boris wrote:

The thread is about expectations however so it's not unreasonable, imo, to ask what someone expects or got for the price they've stated they paid.
Your opinion on whether or not it's unreasonable to ask the question is frankly completely irrelevant to me.

Possibly your opinion is irrelevant to us. But we live with it.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:

Possibly your opinion is irrelevant to us. But we live with it.

Oh no they're closing ranks

rolling eyes

ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
I'd rather pile into a coach for 1hr than poo-poo in a bucket tbh

I agree, but this is the only reason I would go on a coach.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
swiftoid, I love your avatar.
latest report
swiftoid, I'm not saying your question is irrelevant at all - the point I was making is that if Nadenoodlee, was happy then anyone else's views are irrelevant. Sure it's fun to get an idea of what people like but everyone has different budgets and expectations

I budget for 5 around £3000 all in and expect a reasonable apartment (i.e. beds for all not in lounge or hall), to self-cater, drive and have the odd meal out. Others will look at that and go p'ah for the same money I would expect hot and cold running women and swan on lobster for brekkie, others will say I can get all that for half-price.

Ultimately Nadenoodlee, is bang on - she paid some money and she was happy with the holiday
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
So, big shock, different people find different things important on holiday

Indeed.

Sure, slumming it is the cheapest way, no question. Personally I developed it to an art form, the peak of which was riding from helicopters for free. It can be done, but it takes time and effort.

But if you ever get to the point when you earn more than £600 a day then the day cost of the trip becomes broadly irrelevant. Beyond that it's a question of diminishing returns.

If you can eat fast food with pleasure then you'll be able to waste your money instead on lottery tickets.... some of us choose a different path.
snow report
Going back to the original post, I think the reason
Quote:
people expect to pay below average prices for high quality service
is because of all the discounting offered by chalets. I have had so many really amazing offer emails this season. Just today for example I have had some really good ones; one offering luxury chalets with all the bells and whistles in Meribel for £350 pp; another offering more ordinary chalets for £199 and premium service chalets for £249.
ski holidays
http://www.oxfordski.com/

These people will show you what a luxury chalet is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy