Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lighter weight skis for SWMBO (she who must be obeyed)

Poster: A snowHead
My wife always complains about the weight of her skis and would like to try some lighter ones.

She is 40+, normal weight, moderately fit, 10+wks skiing but a bit "timid" Confused but quite capable of skiing a moderate black if following a good-looking guide/instructor wink. She does not usually ski off-piste.

Do lighter weight skis exist and are they "recommended"?
Any suggestions which skis?
Going to Tignes le Lac - is there a ski test centre there?

Thank you in advance for your views.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A few womens skis claim to be lighter than the male counterparts so that should help shave a few grams off the total weight. Wink

The main way that you will save significant weight is in the bindings.

Hire (& demo) bindings are the heaviest. Unfortunately most intermediate skis come with a binding in a package. I guess if these Women specific skis are product driven marketing (and not marketing driven rubbish) then the bindings included with the skis may be lighter.

If you can find a ladies ski that you can choose your bindings you will be able to really reduce the weight. Salomon make light weight version of their bindings, signified with Ti at the end of the model number, I'm sure other companies do to. You will be able to research the lightest binding.

Mrs P has Fritshi bindings on her ski, this dramatically reduces the weight of her K2, women specific, skis. They are touring bindings but we don't do huge amounts of touring. Touring bindings in some ways have less of a performance edge than alpine bindings but it is unlikely that Mrs L will be able to tell the difference, Mrs P can't... (Fritshi also make a binding called the Rave, a 'carving' binding it looks quite light to me - I know I'd never ski it but I like race stock clamps what don't release Wink).

Can't help with specific skis. Good luck.

BTW I've been ribbed by my ski buddies for occasionally carrying Mrs P's skis. Something I would “normally” frown upon – ‘go hard or go home’, I say. I don't do it very often but there are times when I'm just so happy to be on the mountain if I can make Mrs Ps life a little easier it's gotta be worth... Hell, it's her idea to live & work in Switzerland. Laughing :sH Cool
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My sis likes her atomic R:9's cos they are so light (so does her BF too!) They have re-named them and there is a large discussion as to what is a similar ski here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=10242&highlight=
and the take home is R9 = Diran = MX:9 so try and find a pair to demo.

They really are surprisingly light, I can carry two pairs balanced on one arm no trouble... I picked up there (a lot shorter) SX:11's and just about broke my back!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nick L, I've got some Rossi Saphir's-my son swears they're lighter than his snowblades.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick L,

Is your wife particularly tiny? Is that why she wants light skis?

I'm a girl and I have no trouble at all carrying skis - could do for hours with no side effects. But I don't think I'm particularly strong - skis, even heavy ones just aren't that heavy - not compared to ten bags stuffed with shopping anyway!! Could it be the way they're trying to carry the skis?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nick L, Just think, if she does get lighter ski's they'll be easier for you to carry Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for your suggestions.
parlor, we have always rented skis up till now so your views about the bindings are especially interesting and will look at Salomon Ti's.
fragglerock, thank you for your suggestion of Atomic MX:9 and Helen Beaumont, Rossi Saphirs.

I am not a gentleman so I do not carry my wife's skis (unless she is being carted down the slope in a blood wagon with a dislocated shoulder as happened 3yrs ago) wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nick L, you know there's only ever one reason for a gentleman to carry a ladies skis and while gallant, it's not particularly chivalrous he he he.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nick L, Look at the K2 'Luv' range too. Mrs Ski has Phat Luvs and really rates them..... snowHead

BTW - If I'm teaching a couple, and he carries her skis - I take that as a warning sign.... Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, Mrs P has Phat Luvs and loves them.

I should just confirm that the only time I do carry her skis is on very long hikes, especially when climbing very steep sections as her knees start to wobble a little so she needs both hands to steady herself. She's not gone on very well with back packs that allow her to carry her skis. (She's also 40 so I try not to be toooo hard on her Shocked)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, Mrs Ski (sometimes) let's me carry her skis Shocked - but only if she carries my teles snowHead (which are a bit lighter). She uses Karrimor 'Hot Rock' sack - skis go in the compression straps on each side, and a lacky band at the top holds the tips together.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski, ooo - I have a 15 yr old hot - the 50l one. Still going strong after very heavy use.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, Good aren't they ? We've just retired Mrs Ski's orginal one....good to see a good design lasting....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs P isn't very big, she has a great Ortovox pack that meets all of her other requirements: hydration pack, shovel & bc equipment section, fits lunch & spare layer. But it's not big enough to support skis. We're yet to find a pack that's small enough that can carry skis. Sorry for the hijack but any thoughts are welcome...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, Mrs Ski's Hot Rock does not have hydration pockets etc.. but is very comfy and tough. For day tours and lift serviced off piste I have a Dynastar pack (30 litres) - which does have a hydration pocket (which I don't use). It has neat ski carriage system. Dynastar also do smaller packs that carry skis. I don't think it will last as long as the Karrimor tho.... For longer tours Mrs Ski has a Deuter pack with lots of bells and whistles, I have a Moutain Equipment (Solitude) which is simple and not too heavy.

Puzzled What's the purpose of the shovel and bc equipment section ?
ski holidays
Scarpa, Isn't 15 illegal? wink
ski holidays
Thanks ski, and parlor, I can see that I need to buy her a
Quote:

Karrimor 'Hot Rock' sack
too wink
snow report
ski, After years of being hauled up crags on the end of ropes and used to tension ropes for shunting my Hot is now relegated to second pack as the back is now a bit uncomfortable. I too bought a Deuter climbing sac - fantastic bit of kit - but it will be great for ski use as well.

What's the purpose of the shovel and bc equipment section ? - Some packs have facilities for strapping the shovel securely to the outside with the wand pockets doubling for avalanche probe holders. You can also buy a seperate T shaped strap for attaching your shovel to other packs.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 5-12-05 19:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Gordyjh, Yeah - but when you pull her hair back she looks younger wink
ski holidays
Scarpa, I don't like any gear on the outside of my pack. I know someone who had his shovel handle stolen on a lift! Another that lost a shovel handle whilst snowboarding and a guide once told me about a client of his who lost the blade whilst skiing. I also like a compartment if possible in the pack as it means getting your gear out without having to sort out the rest of the rubbish that I ski with (and if touring this trebbles!) Also you can put them away if wet / dirty from digging snow pits or kickers etc...
snow conditions
parlor, Good points there. If I have stuff like that on the outside of a pack I run some cord through the holes and secure with a krab - reckon a good tumble would lead to the yard sale scenario otherwise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy