Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Serles Nordrinne

Poster: A snowHead
Ticked off a major ski goal today.

The Serlesspitz looms right over Innsbruck, dominating the view from pretty much anywhere in the city. The North face holds two couloirs, the more Easterly is a particularly aesthetic line (and the most visible from the city); a big slash in the mountain with another hashed across it like a crucifix. I've been staring at this line for over 3 years, ever since I first started spending time in Innsbruck. And it's always been staring back at me; seductive, menacing, hypnotising... Daring me.

I can see it when I drive to work. I can see it when I go to the supermarket. I can see it when staggering to get my bus back from a night out. I can see it when skiing at Nordkette.

Today I finally skied it.

The weekend brought a lot of new snow to Tirol, by today it had stabilised nicely resulting in absolutely perfect, consistent, consolidated powder. I had planned to ski tour in the Kalkkögel, but my mate Tracy (http://anderson-images.com) suggested Serles instead. I jumped at the chance.

We toured up from the eastern flank, before heading up into the couloir. I quickly learned that kick turns on steep terrain are very difficult on 193 skis when you have short, inflexible legs... In powder it was ok, but I'll be investing in some shorter touring skis for next season. As it was, we didn't quite make the top of the couloir, stopping about 50 metres short. The next part involved and even steeper, extremely narrow section with concave snow walls on each side... Kick turns every 3 metres just wasn't happening for me.

Still, the descent was absolutely epic, and all that I'd hoped for. Perfect snow, and enough room to let loose a little. I didn't ski it as hard as I could have, still being a little tentative charging on dynafits, but it was still the best skiing of the season for me.

Photos below, the ones of me (yellow jacket, blue salopettes) are from Tracy (http://anderson-images.com).

Pretty certain that's the first and last time it's been skied this season.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 25-01-19 10:53; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GREAT PIC's Cool snowHead

That looks a great day out and you look to be going pretty hard at it to me!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kudos
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999, great photos. If that's the way you take it easy, I dread to think what you're like flat out! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That looks fantastic - were you the only group in there?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good work. Well done.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, as far as I'm aware, only group this season!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks awesome!

shirley stretching will be cheaper than buying shorter touring skis Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
clarky999, wow - you'd think people would be up there at every opportunity
or is that just a subtle way of saying you have bigger cojones than anyone else in Innsbruck? Wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, wink

If it was somewhere like Cham (or if there was a lift to the top), then it would be skied all the time. Thankfully we're not in Cham though! All the friends who I've pointed it out to before just thought I was insane, but not that many people seem to be into 'freeride touring' around here. That's starting to change a bit (the Kalkkögel gets almost as tracked as the main resort area these days), but most people seem to consider Serles and Nockspitze as too dangerous. I know Marius and Klar from TGR have skied it before, Tracy skied it last season, and there are a couple of videos floating around where people have roped in from above, but it's seen more as late season mountaineering objective rather than a ski descent. There's a million other similar shots on the mountain just behind it too...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999,

Nice.

Is this the route you took?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No, we did the one on the left side, which is the one you see best from the city and the more aesthetic.

Photo from http://anderson-images.com/skiing-north-couloir-of-serles/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great photos! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm getting confused, always thought the Nordkette was north of Innsbruck. Assumed the pic was looking north so the most easterly would be the couloir on the right Puzzled oder habe ich alles durcheinander?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good work. I'm flying into Salzburg on Monday - can you please tell it to stop getting warm and threatening to rain?
ski holidays
DB, I don't think this line is on the Nordkette
snow report
Arno wrote:
DB, I don't think this line is on the Nordkette

Thanks - I'll be driving past Innsbruck on the way to Obergurgl next week and want to know where to look.

Looks like it's over by Fulpmes on the right hand side when driving south along the A13/E45

http://goo.gl/maps/HuxAD
snow conditions
Yep, the photo is looking roughly south to the north face of Serlesspitze. It's a little before fulpmes when driving to stubai glacier.
snow report
Amazing....

so satisfying when you tick a long thought about objective... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy