Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We're thinking of moving to France

Poster: A snowHead
for a year, at some point in the future.

(Probably three or four years' time, but I like to plan ahead.)

We'll want a middling-sized town, nice and French, within say 30 minutes' drive of skiing.

Can anyone kick the ball off for us and give us some ideas of where we should think of looking?

Ta v much in advance
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Briancon, Embrun or if you want somewhere a bit bigger, Grenoble
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Arno. Are they within 30 mins ski though? I'm trying to spot places on Google maps and they all look an hour or so at least?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northernsoulboy, Briancon has skiing from the town.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
northernsoulboy, There is a lift up from Briancon itself, 15 mins to Montgenevre. You can be in the Vercors in 30 mins from Grenoble, don't know how long it takes to places to the east.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep - just seen, ta. Serre Chevalier - never skied there, either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
northernsoulboy, Also Cluses, Sallanches.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
northernsoulboy,
Brilliant place to ski and very pleasant in the summer. Barcelonnette is meant to be a very attractive place as well or possibly St Jean de Maurienne.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, I don't remember Barcelonnette being all that big a town, it is pretty though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Very helpful already, thanks everyone.
We need somewhere decent sized as we'll need good internet access.
Unless I see a massive bargain I'm talking renting, not buying, and after a very quick initial look that seems tougher.
Lots of places to rent by the week, not so many by the year.
I'm sure they exist, we will be going down there in the summer to nose around, and get the lay of the land.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
northernsoulboy, others have covered Briancon

Grenoble has Les Sept Laux and Chamrousse just outside it - I have skied at Les 7 Laux and it is really good; bigger places like Alpe d'Huez would be doable in about 45mins - you can save a bit of time by accessing from Oz or Vaujany. Grenoble is definitely getting towards being a proper city. I quite like it myself but may not be quite what you are after

Embrun - you can either drive up to Serre Che or there are lots of smaller places like Orcieres Merlette, Risoul, Puy St Vincent and Crevoux which are as close or closer
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
northernsoulboy, Other big places to consider are Gap and Annecy. Fast internet coverage will probably have improved in a few years time.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Medieval Annecy is beautiful all year-round, with lots of amenities and very close to skiing. Lots of tourists though, but that's because it is such a nice place.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annecy I think will be a bit touristy (and probably more expensive than we want), but ta for the suggestion.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for Annecy, but some of the most expensive housing in the region.

or

Bourg St Maurice - although it's small town rather than middle size, however some of the best skiing in the world virtually on your doorstep, and a direct connection by Funicular
to Les Arcs.
ski holidays
Yep, I thought about Bourg, which I have been to, for Les Arcs, and the funicular etc. Never been in summer, though.
snow report
northernsoulboy, It's very nice in Summer with lots of touristy things to do and obviously loads of walking\hiking but not that many tourists like Annecy.
Les Arcs attracts lots of Mountain Bikers in the peak of summer. I always think BstM is more laid back in summer, in winter I feel everyone is in a rush but in summer it's noticeably relaxed, and you can find a parking space in the centre of town!
snow conditions
St Jean de Maurienne
latest report
northernsoulboy, have you spoken to/emailed Marcellus? Snowhead and owner of www.livetheseason.com - if he can't help with a full year, I'm sure he can advise further
ski holidays
i would certainly consider chamonix though could be pricey. Saint Gervais too small? Lots of ski areas open up Megeve, Les Contanimes, Les Hoches and drive to Espace Diament and Chamonix.
ski holidays
About the weekly rentals; Have you actually asked them? When we did a season, once we'd settled on a couple of preferred destinations we just contacted the weekly renters and asked them. Of the the 25 or so contacts in St Gervais 18 said yes. We paid less than £1k a month all in for 90m2 and several of a similar order
latest report
Sallanches is within 30 minutes of Chamonix, Les Contamines, St Gervais, Combloux, Megeve, probably Flaine.
snow conditions
Annie wrote:
About the weekly rentals; Have you actually asked them? When we did a season, once we'd settled on a couple of preferred destinations we just contacted the weekly renters and asked them. Of the the 25 or so contacts in St Gervais 18 said yes. We paid less than £1k a month all in for 90m2 and several of a similar order

No Annie, and I definitely would try that. But as I said, at this stage we're just starting to plan so I'm really just looking for possible areas/towns at the mo. We want to go for a whole year, probably to coincide with university term start, and I'm pretty sure someone somewhere will do us a deal!

Thanks to all others for thoughts, am looking at towns at the moment and planning a drive down in the summer.
latest report
rjs wrote:
northernsoulboy, Also Cluses, Sallanches.

Cluses is a right dump
snow report
northernsoulboy wrote:
Annecy I think will be a bit touristy (and probably more expensive than we want), but ta for the suggestion.
agreed but there are some very nice villages around the lake within just a few minutes drive of the town. How about Albertville? Moutiers?
ski holidays
Quote:

there are some very nice villages around the lake within just a few minutes drive of the town

and jolly pricey they are, too. I don't think Albertville has much to commend it - always seems a soul-less sort of place to me, though perhaps it has hidden charms.
latest report
no can't say it has any particular hidden charm to speak of just practical I guess. Sallanches is probably the best shout so far as it does access quite a lot in all directions and has some nicer bits to it from what I have seen
snow conditions
northernsoulboy, A friend of the family lived for several years in Briancon and adores it, but that was in the seventies. Hope it works out well, sounds like a great plan.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thonon/Evian?

La Vernaz?
snow report
There are lots of lovely villages around Sallanches that would fit the bill as well as having a nice central area. Easy to get to lots of summer and winter resorts.
snow conditions
MeMyselfandI, I agree, Thonon area would be on my shortlist too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy