Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What language to learn...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently learning Slovak as my gf is Slovkian (duh) - it's one tricky language but the skiing is good and cheap Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The best way to learn a language is to buy a cassette course, the best I found were by the readers digest.
I'm sure they are on CD now ... But the idea is talk and listen to the tape on the way to work on your own while driving, it doesn't quite work on public transport.
Just learn one language at a time.
I'm quite fluent in German from a cassette course a few years ago.
And pretty handy in French
Someone gave me a set of CDs for an Italian course .. but I don't drive far enough to work to practice ... and the bus ride up the Aosta valley isn't quite long enough to get fully proficient.
I bought a CD to learn Polish .. waste of time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Language is about communication - I would not waste time and money on CDs etc - it's like trying to learn skiing from a DVD or book - the interaction is critical so if at all possible do a language course. There are also some good resources on the Internet like deutsche-welle for german which provides free material which is better than any of the CD/computer courses.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, there's some excellent material on the internet - babbel.com is a good place to start. You do pay, but not a lot, and it's high quality (an EU effort). If you use a microphone it checks your pronunciation.

Learning on your own with a CD can be very useful provided you do say the words and phrases out loud - years ago I learnt a useful amount of Serbo-Croat from tapes, which helped a lot when we went skiing in Kapaonik and was great fun. Having a Serbian boyfriend would have been more effective but wasn't a practical option at the time. wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How about Catalan - a mix of French and Spanish and the native language of Andorra - where I believe its easy to get a job!

As for German - the only language that could create a word this long - Strassenbahnhaltestelle - for a tram stop.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yabla.com and coffee break french/spanish are both useful resources. The former is a collection of videos that you can speed up/slow down £10 a month or something like that. The latter is a podcast for which the basic course is free.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chocksaway wrote:
How about Catalan - a mix of French and Spanish and the native language of Andorra - where I believe its easy to get a job!

As for German - the only language that could create a word this long - Strassenbahnhaltestelle - for a tram stop.

I think the Welsh have that beat even before they get up for breakfast.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch.

That's a place on Anglesey a train station and possible the worlds longest domain name.

Back to languages I find the Rosetta stone very helpful just wish I could afford to buy more.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy