Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm going skiing tomorrow......

Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd share it with everyone!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where? I hope you find some snow left. Is it just a long weekend as I think most places close this Sunday?

Tempertures in mainland Europe are very high at present. I'd get out early!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You'd be surprised Chris, Just got back from Arc 2000 and it was one of the best days I've had all season. The pistes were virtually empty most of the day, conditions pretty much the same as yesterday at Val d'Isère - hard first thing but perfectly prepared, warmed up quickly in the strong sunshine, softening nicely, then right on cue high cloud arrived around 11 and stayed put til I left, so the snow hardly deteriorated above 2000. Ok skiing down to 1800 this morning, didn't try it this afternoon though. The first part of the Aiguille Rouge run was superb - did it half a dozen times between 12.30 and 2 and didn't see a soul. Parked myself on the side of the piste on the way down for a 15 minute rest, and not a single skier came past.

From the top of the Aiguille Rouge I watched a group of four skiers/boarders carving down the Mont Pourri (3779m) glacier this afternoon, almost from the summit. I saw them 'walking' up first thing - a hell of a climb. (Davidof - ever done the Mont Pourri??)

I'll post a few photos later on...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 28-04-04 20:41; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dare I say it but going away with SCGB or Ski Club or whatever you want to call them to Tignes. Upper slopes should be fine until mid-afternoon and there's a little bit of snow forecast for thurs/friday. It was kinda of a spur of the moment impulse purchase like buying a bag of sweets at the checkout just a bit more expensive but hopefully more satisfying!!!

I'm think I'm also about ten minutes away from being sent home from work for: -

a) not doing any work
b) annoying other people
c) smiling too much
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Preston Pete, The domain proper is only open until Sunday, then it's just the glacier next week, unless they've changed their plans... conditions are great there, yesterday no problem skiing back down to the Funival at VD, and up on the Pissaillis it was as good as it gets for April skiing.

As for weather forecasts they haven't a clue, I've seen one for 25cms of snow above 2200m between Thurs and Sun, one saying no precipitation at all....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Preston Pete wrote:
Dare I say it but going away with SCGB or Ski Club

That's okay Preston Pete. Some of my best friends are ski club members Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PG, Apparantly VD is open till Sunday but Tignes is open for another week.

On a side issue I'm trying to convonce one of my mates who is a teacher (don't think we should hold that against him!). That Les Arcs would be a great place to go over New Year. I first learnt to Ski there many years ago and have never been back. He's never been but is adament that we should go back to VD, Three Valleys or Porte Du Solais.

Anyway you can add an Independent view??

Personally, I think he'd enjoy it and there's certainly plenty to go at particulary with the new link.

Please add some clout to my arguements.

Cheers Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Preston Pete, yes Tignes is open, but from Monday the only part of the domain that will definitely be open is the glacier - the rest will close from Sunday pm!... I spoke to the lift office there yesterday afternoon and there is a chance the Lanches run back to Val Claret will remain open, but absolutely no guarantee at this stage.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If this is the Bank Holiday Blast then it only runs from Thursday to Monday anyway. Have a great time Pete snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
see, when scgb tells u something, it's usually best to double check it with snowHeads Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing snowHead Laughing

sorry, was that a bit cheeky? Wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Preston Pete, If the snow is OK, and to the best of my knowlegde it was a bit marginal last Christmas at all the places you mention, I think Les Arcs would be fine. There is plenty for a week and it has something for all levels of skier within a local area. We found that we could ski with beginners at the end of their first week and still find some more challenging alternatives close by.

As a fellow teacher, and thus programmed to think of myself as poor, I would point out to your friend that Les Arcs is a lot cheaper than the other places you mentioned. It also has plenty of really good skiing high up, so if it is a bit warm at that time of year there will still be plenty open.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just had confirmation from the tourist office, Tignes is open until Sunday 9th, but the glacier only. They will decide on a day by day basis whether to open the Lanches run back to Val Claret.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Preston Pete - definitely echo Chris - having done 2 holiday this year at Arcs 2000. Fantastic runs for all abilities, everyone beginners, intermediates and advanced were all happy. Check out some old threads in the resort section - by searching for Arcs and you should get my previous comments. Any specifics - then fire away (although I am not an expert like our local on the scene - PG Very Happy )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chris Bish, PG is right, as usual.
According to snow-forecast.com : Tignes will have "A heavy fall of snow, heaviest during Thu night. Temperatures will be below freezing (max -2°C on Wed night, min -5°C on Fri night)."
Not bad. Preston Pete has picked a good time to go.
( Val Thorens is even better)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mountain mad, Chris, these photos, taken today, should bring back some memories! There were times today when I saw more marmottes than skiers!
snow report
PG, pictures of piste look fantastic. I want to go skiing ......
Did you really see any marmottes?
ski holidays
Preston Pete, Have a great time Very Happy
ski holidays
Jonpim, Saw three marmottes yesterday with ise at VD, and four this morning early on...
latest report
PG wrote:
(Davidof - ever done the Mont Pourri??)

No just below... the col des Roches which is a bit of a scramble as this picture shows:

http://mapage.noos.fr/pistehors/images/arcs-27jan2000/arcs6.jpg

we were discussing Mt Pourri for the 2nd weekend of May though as we abandonned Mt Blanc as it doesn't seem to be in wonderful condition this year.
snow report
davidof, although I was looking at it from afar through a telephoto lens, parts of it looked pretty terrifying to me. I have to take my hat off to those courageous (or foolish!) enough to take on this kind of challenge.
snow conditions
great photos - Fantastic memories...
snow conditions
Preston Pete, snow-forecast.com is showing the full 6 day forecast to non-members today. Tignes is looking good, with temperatures staying at freezing or below, and 85cm snow forecast over the weekend!
You're in for a great time.
latest report
Jonpim, I know there's been some discussion about snow-forecast.com in the past, but I rarely take much notice of their specific forecasts, other than in general terms. The quantities suggested just don't materialise. What was it, 75cm at Val Thorens by tomorrow night? We'll see! I shall nick one of the kid's rulers, stick it in the snow up there on Thursday, and take a photo!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy