Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

going summer skiing - properly

Poster: A snowHead
Being a lazy student I have a month off this summer and I'm thinking about going skiing for 4 weeks. I'm considering New Zealand but I don't know if there is anywhere better - or closer! Does anyone have any advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mjg, Go south young man, but just where I don't know. I would like to know. An article on where to ski in our summer apart from alpine glaciers would be most useful.
Have you considered Tierra del Fuego or the antarctic ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Probably not much help, but there was quite a lot about this on the scgb site some time ago.

In Oz the best resort is probably Perisher, but Thredbo claims to be the best (and only) 'international' resort. Actually it's only a short distance between them - if memory serves there is a train linking them.
In NZ the main centre is Queenstown from where you can reach at least three ski areas (- the daily coach trip was a feature of NZ skiing when I was there). Further north is Methven if you want to do Mt Hutt.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My impression from all I've read and seen is that the skiing at Las Lenas, Argentina, is the best lift-serviced stuff in the southern hemisphere. In other words, better than anything in Chile, NZ and the rest. Has anyone skied there?

I travelled up the access road to Mt Hutt once, unfortunately a month after the skiing had finished for the winter, and was stunned by the bleak volcanic landscape, almost devoid of vegetation. The access road is scarier than most ski runs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mjg, I appreciate that for a whole month of ski-ing you would want to explore the southern hemisphere, but are you suggesting there's something "improper" Wink about northern hemisphere glacier ski-ing?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here is some ifo on the 3 resorts in the southern hemisphere that the Good Ski guide rates highest:
see http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/resorts/gssg/introduction.asp?intContactID=45048&strOrganisationName=Las%20Lenas

Argentina  Las Leñas

ALTITUDE top 3,431m (11,257ft) bottom 2,240m (7,349ft)
best for: Off-piste + Resort in exotic location

Purpose-built 20 years ago with the help of French advisers - the Marte lift provides the sole link to the extensive off-piste, regarded by some as the best in the southern hemisphere, and the reason why more than two-thirds of the skiing is designated advanced. However, when the Marte lift is closed, the resort reverts to its other, less interesting, persona as just another family ski area in the Andes.
It is located in a remote part of the Andes, close to the Chilean border, laid out like a lunar village in a treeless wilderness.
All accommodation is in piste-side hotels and lodges within a short walk or ski of a lift. There are numerous bars, discos and nightclubs, and the après-ski is frenzied.

Tel: 54 262 747 1100 (in Buenos Aires 1 313-1300)
Email: ventas@laslenas.com
Lift opening dates: mid-June to mid-November

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 3-05-04 11:45; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
   Chile  Portillo
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/resorts/gssg/introduction.asp?intContactID=45100&strOrganisationName=Portillo

Top 3,348m (10,984ft) bottom 2,512m (8,241ft)
Best for: Resort in exotic location

Chile’s oldest ski area, in a steep-sided valley next to the breathtakingly beautiful Laguna del Inca, is picturesque and slightly quirky.
The grooming and signposting on the 23 trails, served by 12 lifts, are as efficient as you would expect to find in any North American resort.
Portillo is not striving for expansion. Its ecologically minded owner limits the number of guests to just 450. Reporters say there are no lift queues, and powder does not get tracked out for days. Skiers can access an enormous amount of off-piste terrain and finish by skating back across the frozen lake.
Most visitors to Portillo stay at the bright yellow Hotel Portillo, which dominates the resort.

Tel: 56 2 263 0606
Email: info@skiportillo.com
Lift opening dates: 14 June 2004 to mid-October 2004

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 3-05-04 12:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(I haven't been to any of these, by the way)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 3-05-04 12:37; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
 Chile  Valle Nevado
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/resorts/gssg/introduction.asp?intContactID=45104&strOrganisationName=Valle%20Nevado

top 3,670m (12,040ft) bottom 2,430m (7,972ft)
Best for: Purpose-built convenience + Close to interesting city/airport

Constructed by the French in the 1980s, Valle Nevado is situated only 64km from Santiago
The resort is linked by lift to the adjoining ski villages of La Parva and El Colorado to form the nearest equivalent to a European ski circuit such as the Trois Vallées or Espace Killy in France. Skiers flock to the region from Santiago, but only at weekends.
Visitors arriving directly from sea level may experience some discomfort for the first couple of days
Well-prepared slopes cover some 100km of mainly intermediate skiing.
Experienced skiers and riders can also take advantage of some of the world’s best-value heli-skiing.

Tel: 56 2 206 0027
Email: info@vallenevado.com
Lift opening dates: June 2004 to October 2004

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 3-05-04 12:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, its looking like a tough decision now! My main problem is that I will have skis and boots as well as a rucksack so I want to be based in just one place - don't much fancy lugging it all around for a month!

snowball, chile is very tempting, thanks for the info
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball wrote:
(I haven't been to any of these, by the way)
I notice the signs for different types of lift have vanished in transit.
11: 4 7 means: 11 Total, 4 chairlifts, 7 draglifts

I don't want to be a killjoy but isn't all that stuff copyrighted material ?

Moderator ?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hmm, you might be right. Delete if you have to and I'll give you the details of the Which website I took it off.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You only have a month? Im a student and I have 5 glorious months off!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yeah crap isn't it!! I'm stuck on the wards in July and have a lecture block in September so I'll have to make the most of what I've got.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee, 5 months off!? Shocked You're not a student: you're unemployed!
snow report
Oh Jonpim, you forget I have sugar daddies who make sure I dont have to work all summer ( they didnt get a pre nup! NehNeh )

mjg, Crikey you must actually be learning something! Well done you x
snow report
snowball, if you could edit the post to add a link to the website from which the info is taken (ie give them proper credit) then that should help with the copyrite issue.
ski holidays
snowball,
ise wrote:

isn't all that stuff copyrighted material
Thanks for the effort, wikid response. If u can be bothered to tell the story in your own words, more power to u (and us) but standard form in these cases is to post a brief summary and a link.

David Goldsmith is a master at this sort of "network journalism": keep an eye on his posts for examples of good practice. eg. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=20584#20584

Nadenoodlee wrote:

I have sugar daddies

mjg, Crikey you must actually be learning something! Well done you x
Watch U don't look too hard working mjg, she'll have u on her list and b4 u know it she'll be getting 6mnths off/yr.
NehNeh
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:
The access road is scarier than most ski runs.

Yes, but the locals, and their international seasonal workers, are not!
snow conditions
admin, I resent that comment! NehNeh

Everyone I mentionned this to has said go to Queens town and hang out around there!
snow conditions
mjp - New Zealand is a fantastic country but bear in mind that the different resorts (Cardrona, Remarkables, Mount Hutt etc.) are pretty small so you can probably cover each one in a day. If you want to go just for skiing then you may find it a bit limited - but the best thing about NZ is that there are so many other outdoor activities to spend your time on, and the scenery is beautiful.
This is going back a bit - but if you do end up in Queenstown then the Black Sheep hostel was great - fantasic hot tub outside for relaxing in after a busy day of skiing, parapenting, rafting or bungee jumping. (You may be able to tell - I had a fantastic time!!!)
snow report
mountain mad, sounds brilliant! I'm thinking I'll probably hire a car so I can do more resorts and a bit of general sightseeing, bit of a waste not to - I'm not likely to be going back anytime soon!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy