Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Freestyle Board advice needed...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Been riding for some time now but never really got into too much freestyle stuff... Mainly on and off piste...

Now I'm thinking of buying a freestyle board and want something with some decent pop/flex... I currently ride a Forum Scheme 156 board. I am 5'10 and weigh about 75 kgs

I have been looking at the Bataleon Evil Twin, but tbh I know very little about tech stuff to do with boards... Hence the post... Not arsed about buying something older off of ebay tbh...

Any thoughts/advice would be really welcome guys

Cheers

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 27-02-14 11:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends on your take on freestyle really, whether your looking at something for the entire mountain or just jibbing around a dome.

if you want a dome stick you really want something as soft and short as possible. i'm similar stats to you and would go for a 150/151 noodle indoors.

on the mountain I ride a 153 capita ultra fear, little bit stiffer for off centred landings but still soft enough to press on rails and butter around. Love the capita.....

freeride and freestyle are totally different as well, freeride think xavier, freestyle..jamie nichols Very Happy

pm me if your up cham way and you can give it ago...Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey bud... My mistake... Meant to be Freestyle... Embarassed Like I said... Ive been riding around on and off piste for ages now, but thought I might give something a little more fun a go... Mainly to venture into the park a bit more or just paling around whilst on piste as well...

Too long in the tooth to be the next Jamie Nichols, but would def like to see if I can send my riding in a different, my fun direction maybe...

Thx for the offer as well mate... Home now Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just to add, the Evil Twin uses TBT tech which some people like and some don't. Try and demo if possible. I ride a Rome Butterknife for freestyle at 155 a bit smaller than my all mountain ride. I would look at twin tip, soft or mid/soft flex for someone starting out. The ET might be too advanced as a specific freestyle ride but will do well all mountain though not my choice tbh.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gainz, Cheers for the advice buddy... appreciated... I ride a 156 at the mo and thought I should drop down to a 151/152 for a freestyle board...??? The only real reason why I am looking at an ET board was that there was one going, potentially cheap on eBay...

I didn't want to really splash out too much in case it simply wasn't my thing and decided to keep with what I know and leave the tricks and park to the kids Smile

My current board is an all mountain board and didn't really want a duplicate, more a specific park ride I guess, that is fun to play with on the piste as well...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Check the recommended weight range of the board size you're looking at - in girls boards the 150-152 size range just about covers the early to mid-70s for example. If you're too heavy or light for it it's gonna be that much harder to use the spring and pop.

I've got a Bataleon for indoors - they rate it at 2 or something silly for stiffness so it's really good for the dome moguls and playing about on but it's not great on a hard-packed piste. Personally I ride both TBT and standard profile boards and don't notice the difference, but it's down to your riding style and how you turn really.

If you're looking for an indoor board or exclusively a park board then go for a noodle but if you're hoping to use it for a bit of blue and red cruising too you might prefer something slightly stiffer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
what size is the ET?

I used to have a bataleon and found it great for spinning as its doesnt lay day such a heavy edge on the carve, but for rails I never really felt it locked in properly.

The evil twin while listed as a park board, and it is...its more of a kicker board or all mountain freestyle, its not a buttery noodle.

If i were you i'd look for something softer, you might well feel like the ET is just a shorter version of the stick you've already got.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
eddiethebus, It's a 151... I guess my main thing is that I am not sure what I really want... I enjoy going into the park and want to learn to not slam every time over some lame kickers... I'll never be a 'park rat' and I can't really see myself entering a slope style contest, but I' would like to experiment on softer board, try learning to spin, jump etc. and maybe learn howe to hit some 'easy' boxes and rails... I was in The Stash in Avoriaz last season and I just never had any confidence to attempt anything, and wanted to...

My current board seems to lack any serious pop and IMO is quite stiff...

I have done sown research on the ET and seems to be pretty soft, to me...

http://youtube.com/v/6z7xYI1DLX4

Thx again folks
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dont forget that the softer a board gets the less pop its likely to have....

that aside I spend nearly all day spinning around and jumping off stuff and its not actually that often that I load the tail and actually use its pop. unless i'm jumping over a rope or sign it just doesnt happen!

i'd say a 151 would be fine. you're probably out of the boards weight limits but its doesnt matter as your using it to jib around and not lay down carves. (being heavy on it will make it feel that little bit softer as well) i'd say get it if the price is right and maybe try and get yourself onto a maverix day course. thats what a did years ago and it set me up good Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eddiethebus, Mate... Thx for this... Just checked out the Maverix site and the 'freestyle day course' at Hemel seems like it could be good... Fish out of water springs to mind but why not Smile

The board is currently sitting at 99p but doubt it will stay at that... figured if I can get it for a reasonable price I've lost nothing really...

Unless I am just not pushing it hard enough, my current board is so stiff (which has been great whilst I have bee progressing) I could never image in flexing it anywhere near what you see in this video...

Would you recommend the Capita Ultra Fear then?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yeah the ultra fear is an awesome board, but its quite expensive and not really worth the money unless you know its what you want.

flex tests always bend the board way more than you would in reality as they always do them on carpet, i'd bet if you strapped your on in the living room you'd be surprised how much it bent!!

The maverix courses are awesome. You might find that on the day you dont land a huge amount, maybe a few front or back 1's and 5050 on boxes but without doubt you'll come away with a reduced level of fear of features and after taking a few falls you'll know your not made of glass Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlpineAddict, If you're looking for freestyle courses, have a look at Definition too. I did their course at HH a few years ago and would recommend, in fact, i'll probably do it again some time this year - as eddiethebus says many of these courses are more about giving the confidence to try new stuff rather than teaching you the perfect Cab 5.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways, Thx dude... wil check them out as well... Trying to get hold of Maverix today, but no-one answering so will try them and Definition as well at some point... I think confidence is what I need... Starting playing more a few yrs back and going off small kickers etc, landing some, wiping out on most (trring to do too big a stuff before I knew how to land anything Very Happy ) But I guess as I am getting older (not too old tho at near 40) I am lacking more in confidence now, mores to make an back bottom of myself...

Thx folks... appreciated..!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Definition. Had a great weekend with them once, and both my big toenails fell off.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The only thing with freestyle courses is that you must use your own equipment. Getting the right board will help but just trying a few jumps and stuff while off-piste is a start. Thats how I started then I knew I wanted to get better at it so I went on an Onyx course at HH. As eddiethebus, mentioned, you may not dial in everything you're working on but the confidence building is invaluable.
latest report
Confidence is key IMO... I'm willing to try anything, and with the knowledge of 'how to do it', I'd be more than happy to go off to the mountains and play more...

Thx all loads... L:ets see if I can bag this bataleon first for a reasonable price...
latest report
AlpineAddict, why not just go get a dirt cheap second hand park board before dropping big money on an ET? I went out and picked up a couple of years old K2 WWW for mucking about on in parks and snowdomes for about £60. Theres stuff regularly posted onto the SCUK Wanted/For Sale forum for in or around the £100 mark.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, That is exactly what I plan to do... The ET I saw on eBay and didn't really deem too much else out there... Looked on GoneBoarding and SCUK as well and haven't really seen too much

I am gonna take a punt that no-one steals my thunder and snaps this up, but here is the board I am looking at

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281274519299&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

I just asked the guy how much he wants for it as I am travelling to Southed this weekend... He came back with £120... it is an 09/10 model...

Thoughts folks..???
snow report
ok... so ventured to down to my local at the weekend and have been recommended the Amplid Dopamine (150 or 153)... Anyone out there riding this at the moment? Still keeping an eye on eBay tho to see if I can pick up a cheap board to ride up the dome and local dry slope...
snow report
thanks, usefull information about the freestyle courses for me too ! i am going by the end of the month !
latest report
AlpineAddict, Did you win your bid? If not, this has come up on SCUK
http://www.snowboardclub.co.uk/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-56130.html
latest report
for £80 i'd buy that, the old signal park was an brilliant stick.

AA let me know next time your around cham valley and we can go for a ride. I might even be able to give you a few pointers Smile
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, No I didn't... Opted not to go for the ET on the advice of my local shop... Thx for this... Will see if I can get some more info on it...
eddiethebus, Thx bud... Would be good... However, I don't think we'll be out again this season... Just don't think I'll get the time off of work... Where in Cham are you...? Central? You ever venture up to LC?
latest report
yeah, les bossons. We used to go to contamines a lot but not so much over the last couple of seasons. they seem to have stopped their night time pipe sessions as well I think which was blow Sad
snow report
Not sure about the pipe, but when we were there a few weeks back, they had night skiing in the village for a few nights, and half of the slope had some kickers etc set up... We stupidly didn't realise as we were so engrossed in finishing the Apt off... could have spent some time up there to make up for the lack of daytime riding... Sad
latest report
Richard_Sideways, Thx for this but I had a bit of search for some reviews and this came up... Not really what I am looking for I don't think

..."It’s that board the jib technician at your local hill is riding. He uses it to butter into every rail, throw down blunts on near vertical hand rails and generally devastate the mini shred. Unfortunately he’s also the bloke sat in the lodge sulking when there’s fresh on the hill or waving his arms around like a man who needs straight-jacket when the snow is anything other than packed corduroy. A jib ninja’s dream, but a freerider’s worst nightmare."

I am not looking for a free ride board, but I do want something that will handle more than park riding... Thx again tho bud... Appreciate it...
snow conditions
If you're after something with a foot in the park and a foot on the piste, you could do worse than having a look at Rome Garage... and theres a 2014 model going cheap over on Absolute Snow.
Not tried one myself but have heard good things and they seem popular.
snow report
If you're still looking, this came to light today...

A brand new DC PBJ 2013 at S&R for £138

Whiteline review here...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guys... Thx all for the words of advice... Went for an Amplid Dopamine 153 in the end... Arrived this morning and can't wait to get on it... Think the Hemel course might be coming sooner rather than later... Thx all again... Smile
snow report
looks good, i'm a fan of the flat to rocker profile Smile if your gona use it mainly in the domes or park (ie not hard packed piste) detune between the nose and tail and between the feet (the flat section) just take a file to it and round them off a little, it'll make it less catchy on boxes and rails Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy