Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm thinking ahead! We had a great week in Montgenevre in Feb but would like to try something new. So far we've been to La Rosiere and Saas Fee.

3 children ages 12,9 and 8. My husband is pretty good and I'm a timid intermediate (happy on blues and easy reds although could, probably push myself a bit but scared of the speed! Laughing )

I love a fairly picturesque resort. I looked at at Tignes but it just looks so bare and bleak! We also want the option of a British ski school after not so good experiences with the French!

Given it's new year we want to go, where would you recommend? I'm open to suggestions. It doesn't have to be France. I would love Austria but flights are a bit tricky as we're in Scotland. We can fly to Munich or Salzburg but not Innsbruck.

I was looking at St Martin de Belleville in the 3 valleys as it ticks a lot of the boxes. My only worry is if conditions are bad I've heard the 3 valleys will be hellishly busy at that time of year (more so than elsewhere?)

Any pointers would be great, thank you! Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We do Austria, fly into Munich and pick up carhire and drive about 2 hours to a small town called lofer, which gives us access to 3 or 4 different ski areas. Don't know if you are planning SC or Hotel but if your are opting for Austria with your party size I would recommend getting accomodation booked sooner rather than later as there seems to be an awful of repeat customers at this time of year. We are going for New Year and have our apartment booked since January.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

I'm no expert but the following may be worth a look:

Serre Chevalier (large ski area, british and international ski schools not just ESF)

Mayrhofen (large ski area with glacier option, good ski schools but likely to have to get ski buses to the gondolas)

Obergurgl (smallish ski area, heard good things about the local ski school, not too busy at new years)

Risoul (medium size ski area, quiet pistes even at new year, not sure about ski school options)

Portes du soleil: Morzine, Avoriaz, Les Gets, etc (large ski area, only a few lift queues at bottlenecks near end of day, good choice of ski schools, Avoriaz area usually snow sure)

There are probably others too, but hopefully this will give you a few ideas. I'd personally avoid somewhere like 3V or tignes, too busy and/or too bleak at new year. All the resorts I've listed have pretty villages to varying degrees, tree lined slopes and might suit your family.

Happy holiday hunting!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I spent last Christmas and New Year's Eve in the 3 Valleys - although busy it wasn't horrendously so.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have also been to Montgenevre and La Rosiere with our children who are similar ages to yours and enjoyed both resorts. I would suggest having a look at Les Carroz. Pretty tree lined runs, lovely mountain cafes and linked to the Grand Massif. The Chalets de Jouvence is probably the best place we've stayed in terms of ski to the door convenience. It also has a lovely pool and spa area. The ESF ski school in Les Carroz is well above average and we are thinking of going back there for that alone. We went late season so maybe you should also check the snow record for New Year.

We went to the 3 valleys at New Year some time ago and stayed in Val Thorens. We found Val Thorens bleak (no trees so visibility not great when snowing) and Meribel slushy/crowded. St Martin de Belleville looks lovely though so would be a good choice for skiing the 3 valleys area. I think if we were to go back to the 3 valleys we'd try St Martin de Belleville as a base.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RosieL, you have a PM
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RosieL, We are based in Edinburgh and usually fly to Munich with KLM, get in at 10.50 am, hop on the train to Mayrhofen. Hotel Laendenhof has been great at NY, we have been there last two years and return again this year. Rooms are about 80 ppn Half Board. My kids love Mayrhofen and the other Zillertal resorts, been many times at Easter also. THey are 12 and 14, been skiing Mayrhofen since younger was 8. THere is something for everyone there.

BTW, I have booked flights to Innsbruck from Edinburgh 12 April, again, via Amsterdam, KLM appear to have changed the timings of their AMS to INN flights so it is now possible to go from Edinburgh. I haven't checked out flights for NY yet, must do that.

If you are near Aberdeen you can fly Lufthansa to Innsbruck with Lufthansa.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy