Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden or Ischgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi fellow Snowheads...

Planning next year's skiing trip. Keen on Austria as we really like the Après ski as well as the fact it is not as expensive as France or Switzerland. We're a mix ability group, but even the weakest members can tackle red slopes with some pursuading. Planning to go early Feb - probably the 7th.
We went to Saalbach this year round which was lovely, except for the snow which was a bit iffy as we went in March.
To avoid this we're 1) looking at going in Feb and 2) looking at a resort with a bit more altitude. Also, would happily go back to Saalbach again in Feb next year, but keen on trying some other resorts..
As such I've narrowed it down to either Solden or Ischgl...
Looking for recommendations on these two...

Ischgl seems slightly better in terms of skiing - more km of slopes, easy to get around etc, but I'm worried about it being expensive? How expensive is it really in comparison to Solden? We're not into the luxury 4 star hotel scene...and also not keen on posh clubs.

Any thoughts / reccomendations for accommodation would be welcome...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ischgl is probably as expensive as the big French resorts. Some really great skiing (especially today!) though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've done a couple of days at Solden - as an add on to a week at Obergurgl. Didn't really like the place at all. It takes a fair few lifts to get up to the glacier, which has some nice but fairly easy runs. Then some busy runs back down. The town itself is stung out along a busy road and the queues for the gondolas out of town are the worst I've ever experienced. The après seemed very tacky, with topless bars and the like. Have you thought about Zell am See/Kaprun? Good range of skiing and some decent bars on the mountain and in the towns.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi clarky999 and Valkyrie

With regards to prices, what would a large beer cost and a decent lunch on the mountain?

I've been to Zell two years ago - awesome town, but a bit small in terms of skiing area and quite low down - we didn't have any issues in 2011, but given the probs we had this year (yes, we went in March) I'm looking for something a bit more snowsure. Yes, you do have the glacier at Kaprun but from what I believe it is quite a mission getting up there and it get's very busy.
Thanks for the notes though and I've heard rumours about the Apres / nightlife being a bit tacky. Not really our thing, but providing there are alternatives should be able to get past it. Also read about the runs back getting busy and this is a worry as some of the ladies will not appreciate this! Thanks for the advice!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Woolies, Paznauner Taja ( http://www.ischgl.com/en/paznauner-thaya-skihut-tyrol ) in Ischgl is about €5 for a 500ml beer and a pizza (big enough for two) is about €10.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl all the way for me - good skiing, the best mountain-top rotisserie chicken anywhere (Alp Bella way, half way down runs 66/76) and apres ski choices to suit any mood, age or style.

Oh, and the almost complete lack of any other Brits! Not sure we have ever shared a transfer coach with more than 10 other people!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

best mountain-top rotisserie chicken anywhere (Alp Bella

Yum, yum. Three times week before last.

I've been to all Solden once and Ischgl many times. Ischgl the better place in my view; prettier town, better skiing, lift system, apres ski and nightlife. I enjoyed Solden, just not as much. Ischgl is more expensive than most Austrian resorts but you get what you pay for. Typical prices as follows:

B & B in a 3* pension, €80 p.p. per night
Aforementioned chicken lunch with large soft drink €15. Soup about €6 & gulaschesuppe about €7. Steak, fries and drink €20.
Beer prices; €4 for a large (0.5l) in the Kiwi, a small, quiet bar, typically €5 for a 0.4l beer in the busy apres ski bars. Spirits about €8 for a double.
6 day lift pass €219
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I haven't been to either in twenty years now .... Time I went again.

I love Ischgl, and can put up with Solden or Hoch Solden.

I don't know whats expensive and whats not now .. it was all "Shillings" in my day.

If you want the apres ski though you should probably go to Stanton,
but best of all is Kitzbuel ... I've always been lucky enough to have plenty of snow to ski on there
and only a few sparks coming from the skis.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DrLawn wrote:
I haven't been to either in twenty years now....If you want the apres ski though you should probably go to Stanton,
but best of all is Kitzbuel...

If it's been 20 years you should really go back to Ischgl next year before handing the apres ski crown out!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many thanks for all the replies! Really appreciate it...

Still pondering, but leaning towards Ischgl...nicer town and a bit more in terms of terrain. Thanks for all the tips on accommodation wink

Going to Kitzbuhel / Kirchberg for a couple of days skiing over Christmas so will see what it is like, but for next year I think it will be either Ischgl or Solden.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just wondering if you decided to book Ischgl? we have booked Ischgl for Jan 10th, we were looking at solden and this thread turned us towards Ischgl, it looks like it will tick all our boxes, as we have two children ski with us. Question for those of you who have been there, does the lift pass cover the complete area? if we decided to go over to Switzerland the lift pass covers this? and does it take long to get from the base station of Ischgel over to the swiss area? ( It wouldn't be a shopping trip just to do it iukwim) allowing for the fact that while we ski fairly fast our girls will slow us down a bit, both are fairly good little skiers, and have tackled a few blacks slowly but correctly, and can fairly bomb on the reds . I can't wait now and am already checking out piste maps etc.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
biddpyat, The list pass will cover the whole resort so yes the Swiss side as well.
What do you mean to go over to Switzerland:
- If you mean the Swiss villages you will need to take quite long runs, so called Duty Free runs and then come back by gondola.
- If you mean just Swiss side of the mountain (lifts and runs, restaurants) - then it is basically the left side of the piste map, left of Idjoch as the flags on piste map suggest. Alp Trida etc..
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh thanks, yup I ment the swiss side, I was just checking that the full area covered on the map, was on the pass. I love long runs, so suppose when we get there we will see if we can go across the duty free routes, . For the last few years due to teaching children we stuck to smaller resorts, so I am looking forward to having lots of choice with runs this time.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You can get to Switzerland from Ischgl with around 300 metres of skiing. Take one of the gondolas, either Silvretta or Fimba, to Idalpe. Turn right, ski for about 100 metres and there are two lifts taking you up to the ridge to your left. Turn left off the lifts, ski down the road, turn right and you're there. From there ski down to Alp Trida. Once there, the first lift on your left takes you to Alp Bella. However, if you want to do the smuggler runs into Samnaum its a completely different route.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks, it sounds like lots of fun ski ing to somewhere, besides to a resturaunt, iukwim. I have you tubed almost all there is to see on ischgl at this point I'm getting itchy feet, wonder if dh and I can sneak in a quick adult only ski trip before January, the non ski season is far too long.
snow report
Had a similar dilemma. We've absolutely loved Saalbach for the past two years, but decided on pastures new for next season just for a change of scenery.

We'd always thought Ischgl was too expensive, but we're going at the end of Jan and got a decent group deal with Ski Total staying here: http://www.skitotal.com/chalets/chalet-hotel-abendrot/ It has great reviews, looks lovely, is in a good location - and most importantly is considerably cheaper than every other hotel we looked at (hotel prices had previously put us off). They also run a second chalet which is slightly cheaper.

Ischgl does look a very exciting proposition; high, snowsure, vast, fast lifts, nice town - and the ultimate place for apres. Can't wait! Very Happy
ski holidays
I love Austria because of the fun atmosphere everywhere, on the mountain you have music, good quality places to eat, or have a beer, decent toilets, and this is so very important, I hate those stand and aim loos ...... eeeeeugh, having to use those while wearing the all in one ski suits, was a nightmare. ( as were the all in one suits, wtf were we thinking). I love that they have decent fast lift systems, and hardly any ques, ( last year we would just ski straight back into the chair lifts again) I have skied the large areas in France, and I don't think I will ever go back to france again. As for expense, yes that is true but when you measure one against the other, the standard of hotel and self catering is far higher. I have booked self catering and the house seems so pretty, also no extra fees for linen and towels and cleaning so it works out almost the same with snow sure conditions better lifts, better food, and better après ski. Hot chocholate with brandy here I come.
ski holidays
ischgl
snow report
Well, to be honest, i prefer Sölden, because of the wide blue slopes in Glacier, but i think that Ischgl is probably the best ski resort in Austria.
The best thing, is that the resort is compact. Its very easy to go from one side to another, while in other head Serfaus Fiss Ladis for example needs too much time for the same km.
latest report
Ischgl ..without a doubt..
snow report
Blimey, I am looking at Austria for Christmas and was just about to ask about Ischgl and another resort Nassfeld, but unless anyone knows otherwise Ischgl seems to be the one....
OR
Does anyone know any better ?
Not looking for après ski / nightlife, we normally stay in chalets and travel independently.
We are experienced skiers, with our own skis & boots (use to 3V, Tignes, Les Arc, Le Plagne....).
Ideas or is the answer already here ?
latest report
Be prepared for high prices especially in Ischgl (during Christmas Holidays)
Nassfeld is a good resorts but more family resorts comparing to Ischgl
Ischgl is more expensive and i think more overcrowded. And bigger
I have only once skie in Nassfeld so i dont have any more infos or tipps. But its a good resort.
ski holidays
Ischgl is horrendous wink cant believe anyone would recommend the place
We are going back for the fifth time in March just to see if we can find a bit of it we like
snow report
Garfield, wink

amazing ski area. but hotels are soooooo expensive...costs otherwise are mainstream for austria
ski holidays
Booked Ischgl from the 31st of Jan - 7th of Feb 2014...

Super excited!
snow conditions
noisey wrote:
Blimey, I am looking at Austria for Christmas and was just about to ask about Ischgl and another resort Nassfeld, but unless anyone knows otherwise Ischgl seems to be the one....
OR
Does anyone know any better ?
Not looking for après ski / nightlife, we normally stay in chalets and travel independently.
We are experienced skiers, with our own skis & boots (use to 3V, Tignes, Les Arc, Le Plagne....).
Ideas or is the answer already here ?

Mayrhofen is the best....
ski holidays
mayrfofen/ischgl/saalbach/ Anton/.... wow
ski holidays
Woolies wrote:
Booked Ischgl from the 31st of Jan - 7th of Feb 2014...

Super excited!
You've been had. Fancy booking a holiday for a week in the past wink Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So have i made a mistake then, going for Solden? We're 6-8 on the inside out scales, looking for upmarket accom (booked Bergland in Solden 3rd Jan for a week) with some good quality skiing? Personally i have no reference but Solden has been on my recent to do list... (perhaps incorrectly?)
snow conditions
Levi215, No it is a great resort with a wide variety of skiing. The misnomer about being strung out along a busy road is misleading. The road leads to the Gurgls and nowhere else. The only trucks (small ones compared to what people imagine) are delivering goods and services to the ski resorts. It is not a trans-alpine freight route! Even in summer the big trucks and tourist buses are banned.

I like Sölden and usually have a few days there every season if I can.
ski holidays
alles klaar Very Happy
snow report
Lol Halfhand...
Meant 2015!!
latest report
noisey, I've spent a week in Nassfeld. It's a good resort, but there are quite a few draglifts (or there were when we went), and the long home run is a bit of a pain because EVERYONE is on it.

It's fine if you're not looking for apres, because there isn't much at all. There's nothing to do in the evenings.

Here is my big trip report on it:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1151559&highlight=nassfeld#1151559
ski holidays
Levi215, I would add a day trip (or two) to Obergurgl if in Solden. Nice resort and close by bus. Will make a change to week in Solden. Just make sure you book special lift pass that will include 1 day in Obergurgl.
ski holidays
Drove through Ischgl earlier this week and never seen so much heavy construction going on in a ski town out of season. It's about 12 years since we've been there and I forgot what a garish place it is, so bling! The skiing is definitely top quality but the town ain't for me!
snow report
Tom W, thanks i'll look into it, we're booked in with Crystal on an early 2-1 deal so no doubt they'll offer some '1 day upgrade' thing but i'll check it out beforehand.
snow conditions
Markymark29, What do you mean Bling, bling? I hadn't imagined it to be any different than other resorts in Austria in the town, visually anyway , I know that there is a lively if not over done après ski? is the town ugly? darn that! I like a pretty town, but then we won't see much of it as we are staying a few km out of the town itself, and will be on the mountain during most of the daylight hours. What were they building in the town? was it more lifts or something?
ski holidays
Levi215, I would def ask for it. It will be nice and less busy there. And you can tick two good resorts from your list in one go Wink
snow report
biddpyat, They are building brand new gondola with all the associated buildings + probably a new hotels. I wasn't there YET but never heard before of the town being ugly, maybe too "disneyesque" etc.....
snow conditions
Ischgl's not a pretty wooden Alpine village, but I don't think it's ugly? (And fortunately isn't blighted by electricity pylons like for example St Anton on downside James Blunt is doing openning concert this year). They're replacing one of the old lifts which would explain some of the heavy construction work.

http://www.ischgl.com/en/active/ski-area/3-s-pardatschgrat
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy