Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family holiday still beginners- advice on where and how ? Please x

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are planning for 14 feb 2015 for one week with kids (8 & 13) Looking for a family friendly resort as we are beginners and will need lessons (all have skied but we are still beginners!). Want somewhere we can all ski together and enjoy the green/blue runs. Friends have recommended flaine. We need to fly out of Newcastle and can only do school hols! Trying to decide if we should do package or DIY? Can anyone help?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flowertot, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead How have you organised previous holidays? If you are based in Newcastle and want to fly (and it's a long way to drive) a package might be the best bet. But you could DIY - book flights and rent a car to drive to a resort. Flaine would probably be fine and is an easy transfer from Geneva. Are you dead set on half term? It's expensive and very busy. Christmas is worth considering - cheaper, much less crowded. Statistically less likely to have good snow but Flaine would generally be OK. Holidays at christmas through the UK TOs are quite expensive - if you were going then, DIY would probably be worthwhile.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, unfortunately it needs to be feb half term. Can get flights to Geneva or chambery (?) for about £1300 for the family?? Or through crystal ski for £4000 which includes accommodation and transfers? A bit lost??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ps I am a planner : so if I know what I would all need to book and what to look for I would he happy to do it x
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flowertot, who are the £1,300 flights with? easyJet flights for Christmas will not be released for a few weeks yet - if you pounce quickly you might get flights quite a bit cheaper than that. What sort of accommodation are you looking for? If you want to self cater, I'd say going independent could be better, but if you want half board or catered chalet, a TO would be better. Flights to Geneva are much better than Chambery if your destination is Flaine.

Where have you skied before and what aspects of a resort are important to you? There are loads of places which would provide what you want.

I don't know about flaine prices but in Les Saisies you could get a good piste-side 2 bedroom apartment for about £1150 or £1200 at half term (which is also peak French school holiday time, hence the crowds and high prices).

For half term, with a family, it makes sense to book everything well in advance (including ski lessons, though you don't need to book those yet!)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,
Though I had been skiing some twenty odd years ago, I was in a similar position as you, charged with organising a half term ski holiday for mostly beginners.
I too took to here and was recommended Passo Tonale.
We had the most amazing time, quite high so pretty snow sure, great mix of blues and reds to keep all busy enough for the week.
Apre is not massive, (your there to ski after all) but there are a few nice bars for a couple of beers before bed.......
We were always exhausted after the full days skiing, few happy hour beers, massive dinner back at the hotel, enough for us oldies.
I am now looking at the same dates as you for next year. Good luck with your search.
Best regards
DJ
PS This is a video from Jon Ford who recommended Passo, I'm sure he will not mind me sharing it.

http://youtube.com/v/miFOWvKQ9_8
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think Flaine would be ok for beginners (although I think it is slightly better for intermediates as there are quite a few reds and some steeper blues). If you can get over the architecture it gets good snowcover, appears family friendly and is very near Geneva. I'd recommend looking at Ski Collection website as they offer a good range of accommodation in Flaine and price match other TOs. They don't do flights though so you'd need to book your own. Would be worth comparing them to Crystal. Pick your accommodation carefully as some of the apartments are out of the village centre and you would need the ski bus to get back to them.
I don't know Flaine that well but there are other people here who will be able to advise you on the pros and cons of the different apartments.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi, flights at £1300 are with jet2, things that are important in resort to us would be ease of getting to the slopes, things to do with kids, pool? Nice accomo, good ski school and nice runs that we can enjoy as a family. Can get flights to either so if you think somewhere us more suitable would be happy to investigate.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are beginners family of 4 children are 10 &7 we are going to Flaine for new year. We found it much cheaper booking it all ourselves instead of a package. We booked our acoomadation via ski collection. Lessons via ESI and ski hire will be with ski set has we had a 40% off offer. I have priced up flights and BA came out the cheapest. Like you we can only go in school hols which leaves new year half term or Easter which is early next year. I have spent many hours looking through magazines, books and browsing Internet and Flaine came out as one good for beginners and families. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you both drive have you considered that as an option?

Pick kids up straight from school ( at their age school may well be fine them finishing either at dinner or a day earlier) cost of the tunnel is normally around the £160 sometimes less and fuel costs to the alpes and back would bring this upto between £400-£500 well below the cost of flights plus with car no worries re bagage allowance.
If school are not sure re finishing a day earlier arrange a stop somewhere like Provins a world heritage site an afternoon there is worth a week in school in educational value, and may help sway the school into allowing the day off.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That would be lovely but we are both teachers so bunking off early is out of the question unfortunately Smile. Does it matter which part of flaine you stay in? Which is better?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our first ever family "beginner" holiday was 3 years ago to niederau in Austria. Lovely little village. Good ski school, we've been back 3 years in a row now so it obviously suited us! We did crystal first time out to take the hassle out of everything. We did DIY the other 2 years, didn't save much cash but did 8 or 9 days rather than the package 7 days which suited us better.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flowertot, I agree that Flaine would work well for you, as would a great many other resorts. On a different note, I know you said you had no choice but to go athalf-term, but is Easter impossible for you? It is very early next year and schools break up in plenty of time to get some Easter skiing in. Skiing in March/April is likely to be much nicer weather for beginners than mid-Feb, with much quieter slopes. Flights may also be massively cheaper outside of half-term.

Tour Operator or DIY? DIY is better value and gives you more flexibility. Many people like TO's as they remove much of the anxiety.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flowertot, just glanced at flight prices but they don't go as far ahead as next Easter. However, the same week this year (not wholly indicative) suggests £98 pp return from NCL to GVA.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a build to this thread, I have a similar dilemma, and my thoughts at the minute are to avoid the crowds in big French places, and consider Italian & Swiss resorts. As such, deffo considering Passo now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, bearing in mind my priorities:

- less crowds likely in Feb 1/2 term
- beginner friendly
- convenience ie no none schleps from accom to lifts
- shorter transfer times (or train)

Ta muchily!
latest report
We have looked at Easter hols and we only have one week when we could go which is the 3rd april 2015 for 7 days. Will the snow still be ok then?
ski holidays
Have just priced jet2 prices for april and can get them for £900 for the 4 of us. Much better prices, will everything still be open then?
Smile Toofy Grin
latest report
Flowertot, yes, there will be plenty of snow then, but do make sure you pick the right resort. Some websites (maybe ski club of Great Britain) give you historic snow figures, but go high and you will be absolutely fine. Personally, I would suggest that the possibility of slightly less snow is a great trade off for the certainty of high prices and crowded runs. When we left Madonna do campiglio on the 1st of April last year they had about 2 metres of FRESH snow lying in the village itself. Some of it is luck, but in recent years the best/most snow has been at the end of the season. It may be softer and get slushy in the long sunny days, but that's OK by me.

Let's wait and see what others think.
snow report
the resort we were looking at was Flaine
snow conditions
Flaine is high and has a very good snow record. I liked the skiing there, but Flaine is a touch ugly and industrial. It's very close to Geneva (so transfers are about as short as it gets) and it's hard to knock it. Personally, having skied in France nearly all my life I am slightly off France. I loved skiing in Italy last year (Madonna di Campiglio) and I'm looking forward to skiing Obergurgl in Austria this year. If you are beginners, then I might be tempted to suggest finding a smaller resort than Flaine, but wouldn't know which to suggest.

If you do go to Flaine, then you really don't need a TO. It is so easy.
latest report
Flowertot, IF you go to Flaine, and IF you decide to DIY, then consider other airports. Geneva is closest but you may get cheaper flights to Chambery, Grenoble etc. transfer time is maybe an hour longer but that is no big deal if it saves you a lot.
snow report
trickygibbon, no idea about Swiss resorts (rather pricey), but Italy may fit the bill. However, I have a feeling that transfer times are much longer than France, on the whole. Others may know of resorts with short transfers. Be aware, that French resorts may be closer to the airports but can have very bad traffic if you get the timing wrong.
snow conditions
Flowertot, when I was researching for Half term next year this was a serious contender

http://www.folgarida.co.uk

They were relatively good prices for that week

Though we decided to go for Easter again.
ski holidays
Flowertot - Flaine had excellent snow cover in the second week of April last year and has a good snow history. You will get far more for your money in terms of an apartment if you go at Easter, as well as the cheaper flights. Le Centaure is centrally located and has a nice pool (but I haven't stayed there - have only walked past it). Les terraces D'Eos also look very nice but are out of the main village.
snow report
Even as teachers I would not dismiss driving out if you both drive, from Newcastle you could be at Folkstone for midnight tunnel across swap over drivers drive through the night and be in resort by dinner time, Coming back leave Saturday evening so you gain that Saturday skiing.
If you are really worried about snow conditions late season look at a resort with a glacier.
I would also recommend DIY but this can still be booking accomodation with a TO ( but smaller ones ) not just booking direct, and then sorting your own travel arrangements out lift pass and lessons etc.
ski holidays
Flowertot, don't forget newcastle has Salzburg, Innsbruck and Turin flights. Italy might me a good bet for you.
snow conditions
Turin is a very good airport for a whole lot of resorts in France as well as Italy. Might be worth looking at Pila - very easy from Turin. Personally I suspect that the Italian resorts might be less busy, except at weekends, than French ones.

There were some v positive reports from Valloire this and previous half terms - not too busy, and only 2 hours drive from Turin.
ski holidays
Flowertot, Far be it for me to comment, but I have heard quite a few people say that the Austrian and Italian ski schools tend to be much more friendly/fun than ESF in France. Our experience of ESF has been decidedly average.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If driving, don't rule out getting the ferry from Newcastle or Hull (latter often comes out cheaper) overnight to Rotterdam. Not sure about the Newcastle sailing, but the Hull one check in closes around 7pm meaning you can go straight from school. It does cost more than the southern channel crossings, but cuts out a massive amount of driving. Depending on the resort, you would then be there by evening the next day (takes me about 10 hours from driving out of the port at Rotterdam to arriving in the Arlberg, Austria).
ski holidays
I really recommend montgenevre- lots of easy blues and greens into the village (you can google the piste map). You can ski a green (a bit of pole unless you do it first thing when it's icey) to Italy which is a lot of fun and then it's pretty easy skiing on the way back. A peak were a good ski school and Go Montgenevre can sort out accommodation ( we stayed Chalet des Dolines) ski hire, lift passes etc... It's pretty cheap (relatively!) when you get there too. We flew to Grenoble and hired a car (about 2.5/3 hours).

It's high so pretty snow sure and it wasn't too busy at half term this year.....
ski holidays
It's only 1.5 hours from Turin! Perfect Happy
ski holidays
the ESF can be a bit of a gamble but it's not the only show in town. Even small French resorts could well have at least one alternative - and many of the larger resorts have British ski schools with guaranteed small groups.
latest report
I went to Les Carroz a few years ago at Easter (early April). Typical spring conditions, cool in the morning but warm in the afternoon with snow becoming soft. It is still fun to ski on. It's up to you whether you go at half term where there will probably be better snow but more cost and more people, or go at easter where snow may be spring like but costs and crowds much less.

The Flaine area is good for beginners/improvers and families, but have you considered the other villages in the area? Samoens and Les Carroz, for example, tend to have tree lined runs and fewer people. Les carroz has a nice square with a few cafes/restaurants and is a pretty village rather than Flaine, which is a 'resort' made of concrete tower blocks.

Easyjet flights might be worth holding out for, winter flights get released in a few weeks time. Transfers are easy from Geneva, less than an hour from airport to resort. Private taxi transfers can be found on the internet and are pretty good value, so overall, Grand Massif area is very easy to put together diy.

If you are still looking for alternative resorts, Montgenevre (or other milky way resorts) is not a bad suggestion, about 1.5hr transfer from Turin and tends to be quiet even during school holidays.
snow conditions
thanks I am considering holding out for easy jet flights which will be released mid april? is it taking too much of a risk? current prices for 4 are around £1300 so hoping easy jet will come in cheaper.
snow conditions
Flowertot- my kids are the same age as yours and I took them for the first time last year. I am also a teacher - I love going at half term as it breaks up the year nicely and february is miserable otherwise.
This year we went to vaujany, there are 5 of us. Easyjet to grenoble (£900). Hire car (£120). Apartment (£1300- but really really nice.) £465 each - the tour operators cant come near that price at half term. Vaujany was very, very quiet. While the kids were in ski school we had the slopes to ourselves.
Last year we went to austria also DIY. I thought the ski school setup was much more friendly in austria and if you are all beginners I think you should look at that. Niederau is a great choice. Just look online for apartments- you dont need the tour operators! Slopes and restaurants much busier in austria though!
snow conditions
Flowertot - I would still say go at Easter rather than half term. You will get much better accommodation for your money, the pistes will be less crowded and there would be a good chance of decent snow cover if you pick your resort carefully. You should be ok to wait until April (and flights) before booking for the Easter holidays next year.

Flaine would be good and I'd also agree with Catteram's suggestions of Montgenevre and Les Carroz. We have been to the latter two with Peak Retreats who offer a good range of apartments.
ski holidays
Flowertot - I just had a look on Crystal for Grande Claviere - which is in Claviere, next door resort to Montgenevre - and its under 4 grand for you guys I've assumed your flying from Manchester which may be way off but i had to pick somewhere. This is an all inlcusive hotel and a very good one at that, so all food and drink is thrown in.
Hotel is perfectly located with easy access to the slopes, there's an easy run down into montgenevre and once there you have masses on piste to choose from.
We went for this Feb half term, our 1st ever half term holiday and we were pretty wary of what to expect, but the slopes were so quiet!! If anything they were more quiet than our previous visits to Claviere in Jan & Feb.
latest report
Flowertot, for your group going April 3rd is a no brainer. It will be much cheaper and being beginners it won't matter if some runs are patchy/closed, there will plenty to go at. There are umpteen resorts you could go to. Just choose one with a good ski school.
ski holidays
Flowertot, it sounds ridiculous, but at Feb half term it can actually be cheaper to ski in the States or Canada than in Europe, especially if you DIY it. Try playing around with the American Ski Classics pricing engine.

In the Easter hols, Europe will undoubtedly be cheaper. France isn't necessarily the only or cheapest option, though. Try looking at Austrian or Italian resorts with high altitude skiing as although the base holiday may be more expensive than France, the add-ons - passes, lunch, equipment, lessons - can be much lower.
ski holidays
Quote:

the base holiday may be more expensive than France, the add-ons - passes, lunch, equipment, lessons - can be much lower.

food and drink can certainly be cheaper in Austria and Italy but passes are much of a muchness, as are lessons. If you are self-catering, especially if you have an apartment close enough to the slopes to go home for lunch (which is easier in France) the expensive on-slope eating and drinking needn't be an issue. Not that anyone skiing in France should eat at lunchtime - that's when the French eat, so it's time to ski!

Hiring a car so you can stock up with food at a valley supermarket will also make a big difference as shops in resorts are usually expensive. A little careful planning, and taking some ingredients with you (so you don't need a whole jar of chilli, for example) can mean that eating need cost very little more than it does at home.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy